Author Topic: Daz Dillinger - RRAGB - Thoughts?  (Read 1573 times)

Sccit

Re: Daz Dillinger - RRAGB - Thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2013, 11:15:44 AM »
dillinger and young gotti > RRGB

allday.

i agree with this too...D&YG is a west coast classic...the 2nd best dogg pound album. still remember the day it dropped back in middle-school, had the mexican homie ernesto cop it for me 8)

Asani Waye

« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
Raw was dope as hell, Life I Lead was pretty dope to. I don't remember much of RRGB, I gotta go back and listen to that one.

I know I'm probably the only person that feel this way doggpound 2002 > Dillinger and young gotti. Doggpound 2002 was my shit, was in my rotation everyday for summer school and the 12th grade.

Sccit

« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »
Raw was dope as hell, Life I Lead was pretty dope to. I don't remember much of RRGB, I gotta go back and listen to that one.

I know I'm probably the only person that feel this way doggpound 2002 > Dillinger and young gotti. Doggpound 2002 was my shit, was in my rotation everyday for summer school and the 12th grade.

"2002" was a great album, as well, but imo "D&YG" was better

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2013, 11:51:26 AM »

I agree.  2002 had dope Death Row shit, but they were basically leftover, unreleased tracks (for the most part) that were thrown together.  Dillinger & Young Gotti sounded more like an album put together that way on purpose.

bouli77

« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2013, 12:09:53 PM »

I agree.  2002 had dope Death Row shit, but they were basically leftover, unreleased tracks (for the most part) that were thrown together.  Dillinger & Young Gotti sounded more like an album put together that way on purpose.

some peeps prefer 2002 to DIlli & GOtti (Hack & Will B i think among others). I've always said Dilli & Gotti was their best shit after Dogg Food by far. Mike Dean did wonders on that album. I remember when I bought it in 2002 i would play the track with Xzibit on repeat lol.

Sccit

« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »

some peeps prefer 2002 to DIlli & GOtti (Hack & Will B i think among others). I've always said Dilli & Gotti was their best shit after Dogg Food by far. Mike Dean did wonders on that album. I remember when I bought it in 2002 i would play the track with Xzibit on repeat lol.

yea, "2002" even had a couple raw cuts from "D&YG" without the additional mike dean production.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2013, 12:24:12 PM »
Mike Dean really put a cool spin on the production.  Frankly Daz's shit was starting to get old.  I wish I had ripped the album -- I remember I accidentally broke the CD maybe ten years ago.

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2013, 12:50:40 PM »

In California didn't blow because it wasn't a good enough track, it's a caricature of a westcoast themed song to me

yeah , same here. the song always sounded really forced to me. and the generic female vocals in the chorus didnīt help, itīs like he took an old gangsta rap hit formula and tried to make it a california theme song.  apparently it worked for some but i just canīt find any heart in that song.

bouli77

« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2013, 01:33:37 PM »

In California didn't blow because it wasn't a good enough track, it's a caricature of a westcoast themed song to me

yeah , same here. the song always sounded really forced to me. and the generic female vocals in the chorus didnīt help, itīs like he took an old gangsta rap hit formula and tried to make it a california theme song.  apparently it worked for some but i just canīt find any heart in that song.

There were other songs to promote on the album. Ridin' High could have been a dope single choice, with a video shot properly. It Might Sound Crazy should have had a decent video instead of this "Do For Love"-sque video. Same for R.A.W., I love the R.A.W. video and it gives an accurate glimpse of what the album is about but if Daz wanted to promote his album right (which I'm sure he did), he should have shot a video for "Feels Good" with Latoiya and Kurupt, but I guess at the time he didn't have the budget to shoot that type of videos, the R.A.W. video is street as fuck and must have cost him $0. I guess he was outta money by then and he made a lot money with R.A.W. which enabled him to shoot a decent video for Coastin'.

yea, "2002" even had a couple raw cuts from "D&YG" without the additional mike dean production.

Actually, D&YG is mostly Death Row material that Daz "stole" when he left and remixed it with Mike Dean's help, that album was mixed in a garage lmao (literally). I like Crip Wit Me from 2002 better than Dip With Me but "We Livin Gangsta Like" is far superior to " Living Gangsta Life" which is really an unfinished production (which still sounds catchy) with a shorter Xzibit verse.

Mike Dean really put a cool spin on the production.  Frankly Daz's shit was starting to get old.  I wish I had ripped the album -- I remember I accidentally broke the CD maybe ten years ago.

Mike Dean really added his touch to the albums he helped produce, you can hear the crazy riffs and rich instrumentation on Dillinger & Young Gotti, This is the Life I Lead and Daz & Pac's Don't Go To Sleep. First 2 Bomb is even better than Pac's original (already produced by Daz). It's a shame he split with Daz, but I guess it's was for the best for him since he's been on Kanye's production team for a while and producing for the likes of A$AP Rocky. But he seemed to genuinely like working with the DPG though. Mike Dean has to be among the most underrated producers,people don't know the classics he has under his belt for Rap-a-Lot, the music he produced for DPG and the work he's been putting in for Kanye, I bet they think Kanye produced songs like Devil in a new Dress...

Sccit

« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2013, 01:38:31 PM »
yea, i know the whole story..i prefer the versions on "d&yg" for both tracks

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
Mike Dean really added his touch to the albums he helped produce, you can hear the crazy riffs and rich instrumentation on Dillinger & Young Gotti, This is the Life I Lead and Daz & Pac's Don't Go To Sleep. First 2 Bomb is even better than Pac's original (already produced by Daz). It's a shame he split with Daz, but I guess it's was for the best for him since he's been on Kanye's production team for a while and producing for the likes of A$AP Rocky. But he seemed to genuinely like working with the DPG though. Mike Dean has to be among the most underrated producers,people don't know the classics he has under his belt for Rap-a-Lot, the music he produced for DPG and the work he's been putting in for Kanye, I bet they think Kanye produced songs like Devil in a new Dress...
Where did you hear that Daz produced the First 2 Bomb OG?  I never heard that before, and it doesn't sound like a Daz beat at all.

bouli77

« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »
i read that on a forum when the remix dropped in 02 or 03, and I think Pac even mentions Daz in the lyrics... so   I just assumed he produced it.

WestWestYA

« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2013, 06:50:39 AM »
When i heard RRAGB it was when i was in college 10 years ago, i loved the album to death and at that time i used to like daz much better than kurupt and i still have a soft spot for daz over kurupt in his rapping style but not the south crap his makes nowadays, anyway i remember me and my friend was in a store and out the blue R.A.W. was lying on the shelf, i didn't have the money to buy it, so my friend quickly bought it for Ģ19 we both went home and i was so envy of him that he had the privilege to listen to it before me, next day he comes to my house and says i recorded 4 tracks of it u can listen to it on your hi-fi but u can't make a copy of it, and im thinking what the fuck kind of friend is this guy :) the first track was whatcha talkin bout and hearing it, it blew my mind. i kept begging him please sell it to me and he was refusing so i made him a offer saying i'll give u Ģ25 for it, he agreed but i never had the money for so i went and stole Ģ25 from my brothers wallet and it was the best thieving ever :) and yes i do prefer RAW than RRAGB.

Sccit

« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2013, 08:52:43 AM »
When i heard RRAGB it was when i was in college 10 years ago, i loved the album to death and at that time i used to like daz much better than kurupt and i still have a soft spot for daz over kurupt in his rapping style but not the south crap his makes nowadays, anyway i remember me and my friend was in a store and out the blue R.A.W. was lying on the shelf, i didn't have the money to buy it, so my friend quickly bought it for Ģ19 we both went home and i was so envy of him that he had the privilege to listen to it before me, next day he comes to my house and says i recorded 4 tracks of it u can listen to it on your hi-fi but u can't make a copy of it, and im thinking what the fuck kind of friend is this guy :) the first track was whatcha talkin bout and hearing it, it blew my mind. i kept begging him please sell it to me and he was refusing so i made him a offer saying i'll give u Ģ25 for it, he agreed but i never had the money for so i went and stole Ģ25 from my brothers wallet and it was the best thieving ever :) and yes i do prefer RAW than RRAGB.

wait wtf? he wouldnt just burn it for u??

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2013, 11:12:58 AM »
Initiated should have been the lead single. I think "In California" was if I remember correctly...not a bad song, Daz solo w/ Jewell. But yeah anything with 2pac on a single at the time would have blown. Follow up w/ OGs and it could have easily went gold if not platinum.
I don't know if I'd agree with Initiated being the LEAD single, but it definitely should've been a focus of the album in terms of marketing.  It wouldn't have been a problem.  Even with Pac and Kadafi being dead at that time, the Outlawz were still technically signed to Death Row, so I don't think they'd have had a problem with making guest appearances in a music video, except for Fatal (who didn't sign and wasn't in LA anymore anyway).

On that topic, Jack Move would've been a dope song to put on this also.

In California was pretty generic, and Daz's name alone wasn't gonna get a gold record. People were going nuts for any 2pac features at that time. People forget that "Changes" came out in 99 and that song was #1 for months. From a record sales standpoint, it should have absolutely been the lead single, would have got Daz recognition by a lot of peeps that never heard of him. Regardless who could appear in the vid etc, if anyone on the song didn't want to be in the vid, cut their verses, replace them, whatever simple as.