Author Topic: 2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.  (Read 1195 times)

ImmortalOne

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • mothafuckin made niggaz
2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
« on: March 08, 2003, 08:51:41 PM »
2Pac's debut album, "2Pacalypse Now", was a controverial political album which garnered much attention from both hip hop fans and critics. His second album, Strictly, is the same, but is even more hard hitting and raw, with an overall more hardcore sound. This is the album where Pac proved himself to be one of the most energetic and intense MC's ever. It has the polticial feel that his debut album has, but there are some major changes. Production-wise, this album is definatly an improvement, though many of the beats do sound similiar here. His subject matter, however, isnt quite as diverse as it was on his debut, and the songs, overall, arent as articulate. However, his mic presence and flow is definatly improved. This was the album to really make him a force in the hip hop world, because of the now classic singles "Keep Ya Head Up", "Holler If You Hear Me", and "I Get Around".......all three of these songs are still considered among his best even after today, several years after his death. While this isnt Pac's best album, there are a number of classic gems here, and no 2Pac collection is complete without this powerful sophmore release of 1993. Ratings and descriptions:

1. Holler If You Hear Me - This sets the tempo for the album. Unlike his debut, which started off with the slow "Young Black Male", this starts off with a powerful punch. His flow is extremely wicked here, and you can here the anger in his voice. That, combined with the extremely energetic beat and PE sample make this one of the finest songs in his catalog......5/5

2. Pac's theme - This is just an interlude, which contains Dan Quayle's diss towards Pac, saying that 2Pacalypse Now has "no place in our society"....this interlude and more than one song on the album have disses towards Quayle. no rating

3. Point Tha Finga - A song about the evil of the media, and how they blow things out of proportion and use Pac's music as a scapegoat.....the beat is very uptempo, Pac is again very energetic, and with a nice Scarface sample, this is a classic cut......5/5

4. Something 2 Die 4 - this is an interlude with Pac on a voice changer, just explaining what is and what is not worth dying for....deep message....no rating.

5. Last Wordz - Another heavy hitting song, with Cube and Ice T joining Pac here. All three of them rip the mic up. The beat is insane, and this is an often overlooked collab in Pac's catalog.......5/5

6. Souljahs Revenge - The album continues at a fast pace.....This song is about censorship and opression......the beat is really dark and fast, at a medium tempo.....4.5/5

7. Peep Game - This song doesnt do much for me.....the production is uptempo, but bland.......Pac is nice on the mic, but unlike previous songs, this is just a hardcore song with more attitude than content. Deadly Threat doesnt help the song either......not a horrible song, but one of the weaker tracks on the album.....3/5

8. Strugglin - Good song, though it woulda been better if it was just Pac and Stretch.....the beat is mid tempo, with some nice scratching....3.5/5

9. Guess Who's Back - This is a somewhat slower song. Basically a song about how Pac is back, and how he gonna rip shit up.....its a pretty dope song, though its on the short side......4/5

10. Reppin ' 93 - This is a dope track. Pac basically given his props to everyone in the game......the beat fits the song perfectly. Pure Pac, pure dopeness.....5/5

11. Keep Ya Head Up - One of the greatest songs in hip hop history, and one of Pac's finest gems. There will never be a better woman postive song [except for maybe Dear Mama]. The sample is perfect. The whole song is flawless........classic 5/5

12. Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z. - Slow, heavy production......this is a song for the STREETS, no doubt. Pac's raw lyrics and energy stand out over this beat. One of the more underrated songs on this album.......4.5/5

13. Streetz R Death Row - Another hot uptempo song. Basically a song about Pac's struggle on the street as an adolescent. This track perfectly captures the harsh realites of young black men in urban America.....great song.....5/5

14. I Get Around - this song made Pac's critics call him a hypocrite, because of Keep Ya Head Up. However, Keep Ya Head Up was for the women who wanted to make something for themselves, while this track is for the shady women who dont care enough to bother......they'll sleep around with anyone, and I think that was the point of this song. In any case, its a fan fav, and a classic overall song..........5/5

15. Papaz Song - One of his best songs ever. This one is for deadbeat fathers. Alot of painfully sad lyrics here, as alot of them describe Pac's childhood to a T........The beat is slower, but very nice......excellent song. 5/5

16. 5 Deadly Venomz - Sort of a concept song.....it has 5 members in the song [Pac, Treach, Apache, Stretch, Majesty], each with a different style. However, I think they coulda done more with the song......the content is your typical, im-gonna-fuck-you up, hardcore song.....the beat is very hot, but they coulda done more with the song overall....4/5

Overall, this and 2Pacalypse Now are about equal, though it depends on who you ask....I prefer 2Pacalypse Now, because it was a more diverse album all around. Strictly does have better production though, and is a must have in ANY Tupac collection......this is a very energetic album, and was a prelude to the unmatched intensity seen on AEOM and Makaveli......

rating: 4/5
check out my Jordan collection here:

http://www.dubcc.com/forum/index.php?topic=67063.0

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re:2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2003, 12:05:03 AM »
"Papa'z Song" is my joint and "Point Tha Finga" is great too.  Shit... I haven't listened to his album in a while.  I think I gave this a 8/10.  I'ma have to pop this in tonight.   ;)

On The Edge of Insanity

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 01:17:36 PM »
This is a very underrated album in Pac's collection. This and the Thug Life album probably represent Pac at his rawest, and who can not love songs like Holler If Ya Hear Me, Any Last Wordz and Point Tha Finga, those tracks are straight ghetto.

TheSheriff

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2003, 08:26:26 AM »
9/10

Great album

Keep Ya Head Up-pure Pac...magnificent and beautiful-no person has lived before hearing this

Disceptive AssAssin

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • Trip BaLLS
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2003, 08:00:35 AM »
10/10.... and thats comming from a mobb deep fan

Trippin Sizzzzzzzzack.......

Fressh_Deini

• Muthafuckin' OG
  • G-Funk
Re: 2Pac - Strictly 4 My N.I.G.G.A.Z.
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 02:23:51 PM »
I know this may sound strange but I can listen to that "Something 2 die 4" interlude for hours...That interlude is so relaxing..the music... :)
My fav. track on this album must be: Keep ya head up...pff one word: CLASSIC

Juronimo

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2005, 07:29:10 PM »
Great album. Whenever I listen to this cd, I play "Strictly for my NIGGAZ" about 3 times over. That song gets me so hype, especially that 2nd verse.
Being a LAKER is a privilige. Unfortunately some "Lakers" have forgotten that.

Los Angeles Lakers
Anaheim Angels

Plumma25

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 10:09:40 AM »
This album is really a underrated album.  Whenever anyone ever mentions Pac, it's always, All Eyez On Me, Makaveli or Me Against The World.  But this cd has a bunch of bangers on it.  Papa'z Song is my personal favorite.  But there are so many more that are quality tracks.  I like Strictly, Representin' and also Tha Streetz R Deathrow.  Also has two classic Pac Songs, I Get Around and Keep Ya Head Up.  Def an album every hip hop head should have in his/her collection.  8.5/10.
if you're girl has a leak tell her 2 call tha mothafuckin' Plumma named Pete, thats me.