Author Topic: California - its own worst enemy. This time, in education.  (Read 2274 times)

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lausd-suspensions-20130515,0,442761.story

The story is about the LA union school district no longer allowing schools to suspend students for "defiance".

The article cites minority students being disproportionately effected by suspensions as the main reason the school board voted this decision in.

So a larger number of minority students are acting up, getting suspended, and now all students will have free reign to openly defy teachers and not be removed from the educational setting in order to make things "fair". 

Im sure these kids will learn their lessons through love (no pedo) and hugs from campus supervisors and Los Angeles' schools and especially minority students will be saved. 

« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:13:56 AM by Russell Bell »
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

bouli77

Re: California - its own worst enemy. This time, in education.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »
I don't know the specifics -I'll read the link later, but we have the same type of problems out here. Pupils feel free to act up when they see fit and kicking them out of classes is an option but it's not approved by the hierarchy, we are tied by statistics that we have to match at the end of the year, so even if a student doesn't give a fuck, he'll be likely to pass to the next grade 'cause statistics are more important than actual facts, and even if he doesn't pass, he can always appeal the decision and in that case it's almost impossible for him not to pass. the growing pressures are on the teachers, and sometimes more credibility are given to students who file complaints than to seasoned professionals. in my school some students got caught cheating with cell phones and others abused teachers and almost got a pass. one of the problems nowadays is that education is supposed to fit individual needs, and teachers have to adapt to the students' levels and needs, which isn't a bad idea in theory but it's really exacting and you go from one extreme to the other with your students.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 09:46:33 AM »
It's actually not a bad idea. And if you ever go into a California classroom, it's not often the teacher who gets the brunt of the abuse, it's the student to student stuff, like fighting and students with drugs and stuff like that, that gets them suspended. I got suspended for fighting, and one time playing a prank on another student. But never did I do anything to a teacher.

In fact, in Los Angeles, they'd rather have a hard ass teacher who'll control the class than a good teacher who might lose control. My cousin who's a teacher said if you want to be a teacher in LA, you have to be ready to be a classroom manager, the district figures the learning will come.

But let's be real here as well. LA schools are not like the 90's. In fact LA schools have been doing better and better each year when it comes to discipline issues. We'd like to think of LA as some Dangerous Minds type environment, but the reality is that things have changed for the better in terms of classroom management there. Maybe not in education, but the classroom theory is working in terms of less classroom issues. Now test scores are still way down, but isn't that what we want? Dumb people who will listen.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »
It's actually not a bad idea. And if you ever go into a California classroom, it's not often the teacher who gets the brunt of the abuse, it's the student to student stuff, like fighting and students with drugs and stuff like that, that gets them suspended. I got suspended for fighting, and one time playing a prank on another student. But never did I do anything to a teacher.

In fact, in Los Angeles, they'd rather have a hard ass teacher who'll control the class than a good teacher who might lose control. My cousin who's a teacher said if you want to be a teacher in LA, you have to be ready to be a classroom manager, the district figures the learning will come.

But let's be real here as well. LA schools are not like the 90's. In fact LA schools have been doing better and better each year when it comes to discipline issues. We'd like to think of LA as some Dangerous Minds type environment, but the reality is that things have changed for the better in terms of classroom management there. Maybe not in education, but the classroom theory is working in terms of less classroom issues. Now test scores are still way down, but isn't that what we want? Dumb people who will listen.

So your argument is that teachers dont get the "brunt of the abuse"?  Dont you get it mdogg, students abusing other students IS defiance of teachers, and sometimes best fits into this category.  Taking this away does nothing but placate the masses who believe that failure of certain groups is due to racism.  Another "PC" move by a school board who has deluded education by deluding the rules in the educational setting and giving kids more free reign to do as they please.  Taking away reasons to kick kids out of class wont make them any better behaved, only better suited to maneuver the system, which is ok I guess, since many of these students will be manipulating the justice system in no time anyway.

If you really think that these students are being unnecessarily suspended then the problem is the administration who is signing off and most times administering the punishment.  But we all know that usually isnt the case.  Sure theres the exceptions, but to act like the school system is systematically suspending kids for no reason suggests a problem with the kinds of people working in the schools not the rules themselves (if this were true, and be honest, it aint).

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »

So your argument is that teachers dont get the "brunt of the abuse"?  Dont you get it mdogg, students abusing other students IS defiance of teachers, and sometimes best fits into this category.  Taking this away does nothing but placate the masses who believe that failure of certain groups is due to racism.  Another "PC" move by a school board who has deluded education by deluding the rules in the educational setting and giving kids more free reign to do as they please.  Taking away reasons to kick kids out of class wont make them any better behaved, only better suited to maneuver the system, which is ok I guess, since many of these students will be manipulating the justice system in no time anyway.

If you really think that these students are being unnecessarily suspended then the problem is the administration who is signing off and most times administering the punishment.  But we all know that usually isnt the case.  Sure theres the exceptions, but to act like the school system is systematically suspending kids for no reason suggests a problem with the kinds of people working in the schools not the rules themselves (if this were true, and be honest, it aint).

See, when I was in school, we had on campus suspension. I am thinking that they'll do more of that. Let's put it this way, I know kids today who have little to no parent supervision and when they get suspended, it's like a day off. It does NOTHING. Hell, one of my favorite days was when I got suspended myself, I went to a friends house, then we went to go visit some girls. LA and other parts of California are not like your typical neighborhoods and these students and their parents are not like your typical parents and students. There has to be new ways to deal with these things. Plus if one or more groups are being singled out for suspension, then you need to look at what you are doing and why this is. It's not just enough to say, "well those Mexicans and Blacks are just bad kids." There is a LOT to look at.

And dude, I grew up in those areas, I worked in high schools for a few years before moving to higher education. Trust me, people think LA schools are on some type of Dangerous Minds crap. It isn't. These kids are not out there doing the same stupid shit we did in the 90's. But teachers, especially those in their 40's and 50's who taught in those times, are treating the students like they would have treated us. There is a lot of change that needs to happen. Lots and lots of studies have shown that though many teachers and administrators have good intentions, the system is inherently discriminatory to non-white students, even after all these years. I will not say I 100% agree with getting rid of suspension, but I do think it's counter productive to take a student off grounds unless that student is a true threat to others, i.e. bring a weapon to school or verbally threaten death to a student. For other reasons, drugs, common fighting, ditching, they can have on campus suspension where they don't have days off, instead they have to come to campus to another room and do school work in complete silence. Our school called it prison, and it was ran that way.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:58:59 PM »
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-lausd-suspensions-20130515,0,442761.story

The story is about the LA union school district no longer allowing schools to suspend students for "defiance".

The article cites minority students being disproportionately effected by suspensions as the main reason the school board voted this decision in.

So a larger number of minority students are acting up, getting suspended, and now all students will have free reign to openly defy teachers and not be removed from the educational setting in order to make things "fair". 

Im sure these kids will learn their lessons through love (no pedo) and hugs from campus supervisors and Los Angeles' schools and especially minority students will be saved. 

lmao this is hilarious

where i'm from u act up and then u get ISS or OSS and i guess it depends on your parents as whether u learn from it or not

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:31:12 PM »

lmao this is hilarious

where i'm from u act up and then u get ISS or OSS and i guess it depends on your parents as whether u learn from it or not

exactly, iss is what happened and still does here.  i live in california but not l.a.  when i was in school, the mexican kids were the majority of the trouble makers, they also made up half the school population too.  la la land just doesnt want to admit theres a correlation between certain races and certain behaviors.  i mean, if you wanna say its cause of poverty, less societal mobility, fine that argument can be made.  But they just dont wanna face facts here.

i'd venture to say most of the problem is culture.  the hispanics that come here, come here to work.  and they have a lot of kids.  so what each kid does in school everyday isnt watched necessarily that closely.  also the language barrier is huge.  these parents dont know what the fuck iss or a referral is half the time and the kids either hide it from them or sugarcoat it.  bottom line - learn english and assimilate and these problems would go away.

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »
Most of the struggling state economies are in liberal shitholes like California. Too many low life bums who wanna benefit off the next mans hard work. You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA or SF.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 01:07:45 PM »
Most of the struggling state economies are in liberal shitholes like California. Too many low life bums who wanna benefit off the next mans hard work. You couldn't pay me enough to live in LA or SF.

California had Republican governors from 1983-2011, minus Grey Davis for 5 years. In that time the Republican party completely FUCKED up California. When Pete Wilson left, the school systems were overcrowded and falling apart, test scores were in the bottom 3 states (in 1983 California was in the top 10 in education) and California was facing a huge water and power problem. Grey Davis tried to fix the mess but to do so he took out bonds to put California in debt (the reason things were falling apart was because the Republicans didn't spend, so they had a balance budget but California was a shit hole) When Davis won re-election the Republicans pushed to get him recalled, enter Arnold who was the worst governor in California state history, and the rest writes itself.

To be fair to Jerry Brown, he now has California with a surplus and in position to pay off the debt. It was very painful but California is headed in the right direction.

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 02:11:07 PM »

California had Republican governors from 1983-2011, minus Grey Davis for 5 years. In that time the Republican party completely FUCKED up California. When Pete Wilson left, the school systems were overcrowded and falling apart, test scores were in the bottom 3 states (in 1983 California was in the top 10 in education) and California was facing a huge water and power problem. Grey Davis tried to fix the mess but to do so he took out bonds to put California in debt (the reason things were falling apart was because the Republicans didn't spend, so they had a balance budget but California was a shit hole) When Davis won re-election the Republicans pushed to get him recalled, enter Arnold who was the worst governor in California state history, and the rest writes itself.

To be fair to Jerry Brown, he now has California with a surplus and in position to pay off the debt. It was very painful but California is headed in the right direction.

MDogg, thats completely misleading.  Saying republicans put us in this place is not correct.  Who is ruining education with stupid policies like the one in my OP?  Who wants to build a bullet train so her husband can get paid?  Who wants higher taxes that drive out business and jobs?

What about the state legislature who makes the rules, what political party are most of them?  exactly.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:19:51 PM by Russell Bell »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 02:45:12 PM »

MDogg, thats completely misleading.  Saying republicans put us in this place is not correct.  Who is ruining education with stupid policies like the one in my OP?  Who wants to build a bullet train so her husband can get paid?  Who wants higher taxes that drive out business and jobs?

What about the state legislature who makes the rules, what political party are most of them?  exactly.

Problems have been there for a very, very, very long time. Growing up in California in the 90's, these were the same problems. Look at George Deukmejian. Most divestment happened under his watch. Jerry Brown had California growing and the budget balanced in the late 70's, early 80's. He even worked with tax cuts that the people voted for and was praised by many Republicans for doing so. Deukmejian cut spending more then they needed to be cut, especially considering the spending cuts didn't have tax cuts. California still had the highest taxes under Deukmejian and Pete Wilson. Wilson was bad mouthed by other Republicans who saw him as a moderate because he wouldn't cut taxes even though spending was down. So you had a state with low spending and high taxes. When Grey Davis took office, shit hit the fan, and he was STILL RE-ELECTED. It took Arnold to beat him, and Arnold is the worst governor in California history. Arnold didn't know how to govern and he royally fucked up the state. Under Jerry Brown's plan, the state will reduce it's $35 billion debt to $5 billion in the middle of his second term, if he gets a second term.

Also in the mid-90's, Republicans did control the California State Legislature, and then tried to pass all these anti-immigration bills. It would have been better if the Republicans had not taken that small majority because that's when the Latino population got mad and started voting. Prior to 1994, Latinos were a voting block that was up for grabs. In 1994 that all changed, as the Democrats won Latinos by 48%. Latinos had turned Democrat, in a state that traditionally voted Republican in presidential races. (don't believe me, look it up, Bill Clinton was the first Democrat to win California since 1964) Republicans in the mid 90's used hot button issues in their little window and it turned out to be a HUGE mistake. 1996 saw a big increase in Latino voter turn out, as they went from traditionally 40% to around 60%. In 1996 Clinton won California by a landslip, Democrats took back the Legislature and the population shift made it next to impossible for Republicans to recover.

I grew up in the IE. The IE is traditionally a red area and full of conservative Latinos. Latinos WILL NOT VOTE REPUBLICAN because of all that bullshit I just posted. They wouldn't. Latinos are still mad and don't trust the Republican Party. The Republican Party doesn't know how to win back the Latinos, and they have to for their own survival in California. But they wouldn't, so basically you are stuck with a Democrat majority. I hope you enjoy your balance budgets and economical recovery. Must be so hard.

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 03:21:28 PM »

I don't know a single person who would consider California a conservative state. LA and SF specifically are liberal shitholes.

Y'all elected Arnold fucking Schwarzenegger, a guy who has made a living out of being a professional liar / actor. I don't give a fuck if he is R or D, that's just dumb.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »

I don't know a single person who would consider California a conservative state. LA and SF specifically are liberal shitholes.

Y'all elected Arnold fucking Schwarzenegger, a guy who has made a living out of being a professional liar / actor. I don't give a fuck if he is R or D, that's just dumb.

Fucking truth, I live about 20 mins from SF, and I will tell you that almost the entire bay area is on some hippy shit.  This state is fucked up for a lot more reasons than a republican governor.  MDOGG keep those one line talking points movin bra.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2013, 03:42:51 PM »

Fucking truth, I live about 20 mins from SF, and I will tell you that almost the entire bay area is on some hippy shit.  This state is fucked up for a lot more reasons than a republican governor.  MDOGG keep those one line talking points movin bra.

LMAO... I lived Inland. SF and the Bay were once the exception to the rule, The IE, Sac-Town, OC, SD, Bakersfield, Central Valley, anything north of the Bay, the High Desert, Palm Springs, those are ALL conservative areas!

California pre 1990's when the Republican party went nuts.

California in 1996, when Latino voter turnout went up thanks to the backlash of Prop. 187.

California now

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2013, 03:48:33 PM »

Fucking truth, I live about 20 mins from SF, and I will tell you that almost the entire bay area is on some hippy shit.  This state is fucked up for a lot more reasons than a republican governor.  MDOGG keep those one line talking points movin bra.

LMAO... I lived Inland. SF and the Bay were once the exception to the rule, The IE, Sac-Town, OC, SD, Bakersfield, Central Valley, anything north of the Bay, the High Desert, Palm Springs, those are ALL conservative areas!

California pre 1990's when the Republican party went nuts.

California in 1996, when Latino voter turnout went up thanks to the backlash of Prop. 187.

California now

More misleading statistics, MDogg  :nawty:

The population of the blue areas LARGELY outweighs the red, and you know that.

California is a liberal state, more so now than ever, and we are a fucking quagmire that no one wants to start a business in or live in unless youre a libtard who enjoys high unemployment, illegal immigrants and their kids polluting the school systems and social services, and high taxes.