Author Topic: eOne purchased the rights to the Death Row Records catalogue  (Read 5893 times)

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
Re: eOne purchased the rights to the Death Row Records catalogue
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2013, 10:29:50 AM »

if they had it why did interscope wash their hands with the label...n let it go from the top sellin label ..to irrelevant...

once interscope got amaru...they didnt have to deal with death row bullshit...

wasnt anybody tryin 2 listen to the shit wideawake put out...

all these ol niggas can sell stories...but aint shit out there...u can remodel a rim...but u cant reinvent...

u see what puffy does with biggie...n he jus stopped...kuz it aint nomore to bedone...thats what hhappen to pac

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2013, 03:19:59 PM »
So they got it for 4 million? Id say they're just gonna recoup off reissues and tv/movie rights for the songs. Cats need to give up on this Death Row pipe dream, there's so much.good music out there why wait for some half assed bullshit that likely wasn't good enough to be released in the first place.

Wideawake tried, but the fans didn't support, ain't no.company gonna waste resources on that again.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2013, 03:40:44 PM »
Wideawake tried, but the fans didn't support, ain't no.company gonna waste resources on that again.
I wouldn't say they tried.  There were quality control issues that were noticeable from that first Snoop Dogg release.  I don't think they could have gotten by, just on unreleased music alone anyway and it seemed silly to try when they own the rights to a very profitable catalog of already-established music.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 03:58:19 PM »
I wouldn't say they tried.  There were quality control issues that were noticeable from that first Snoop Dogg release.  I don't think they could have gotten by, just on unreleased music alone anyway and it seemed silly to try when they own the rights to a very profitable catalog of already-established music.

How did they not try? Released a lot of unreleased material including albums from Crooked, Danny Boy, OFTB, Jewell, Sam Sneed. Unreleased songs from Snoop and Tha Dogg Pound, reissued Chronic with a bonus DVD and disc. Quality aside (we don't know what they were working with or how much capital they had to invest) the demand simply wasn't their.

Apart from releasing bullshit compilations of previously released material (which Suge had already done multiple times) there is really nothing they could have done. The damand was never higher enough to make their investment profitable, and using web forums as a barometer for demand is never going to work.

Will_B

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2013, 04:06:41 AM »
E1 make a shit load of cash from merch. I can see them doing it with the DR brand

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 08:50:48 AM »
I'd imagine it will just result in a re-distribution of catalog titles.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Another retelease of The Chronic or a Death Row's greatest hits.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Jimmy H.

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 10:19:39 AM »
How did they not try? Released a lot of unreleased material including albums from Crooked, Danny Boy, OFTB, Jewell, Sam Sneed. Unreleased songs from Snoop and Tha Dogg Pound, reissued Chronic with a bonus DVD and disc. Quality aside (we don't know what they were working with or how much capital they had to invest) the demand simply wasn't their.

Apart from releasing bullshit compilations of previously released material (which Suge had already done multiple times) there is really nothing they could have done. The damand was never higher enough to make their investment profitable, and using web forums as a barometer for demand is never going to work.
They didn't put the proper attention into making the product they were putting out reach the expectations of the market place. The music on Lost Sessions, LBC Crew, and a number of unreleased tracks on their boxed sets did not sound good. There was a backlash from the people who bought the albums and they made no effort to deal with it.

I would agree that the demand for unreleased music would not have generated the profit to keep that company going but plenty of labels survive on re-issuing old catalog. The initial "Chronic Re-Lit" was probably a step in the right direction but I think every release following just did them in with the fans.

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »
I'd imagine it will just result in a re-distribution of catalog titles.

Exactly what I'm thinking. Another retelease of The Chronic or a Death Row's greatest hits.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

V2DHeart

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 03:08:37 AM »
Had they reissued the existing catalogue in chronological order - 1 release every month or 2, then they'd have had enough time (up to 2 years) in order to generate steady money and to have time to establish a proper plan.

I thought this direction they were going to take when Chronic Re-lit was announced. Same release = steady revenue + new bonus songs = pleasing existing fanbase. All my old DR catalog is scratched and done. Adding bonus songs would have been the excuse for me to re-purchase.

But even Chronic re-lit had it's issue... You could only play the bonus songs on a PC? WTF. is this 1995? They messed up, then continued to mess up. Releasing terrible sound quality releases. Releasing a version of Doggy Style that is worst than the bootleg version I had previously   ;D They even had incomplete credits, and produced by "unknowns" The entire lot was a joke. They released far too many and solidified their position as a professional bootlegging company rather than the holders of a valuable catalog
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2013, 05:36:09 AM »
Death Row Records - e1 - Koch RecoRDs 2013 catalog contains all the Death Row releases by Death Row, Ron Winter & Wideawake minus some RWP compilations like "Death Row Dayz" and The Chronic Re-Lit.

The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

donfathaimmortal

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2013, 06:04:21 AM »
> update with a few court files about Death Row
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:22:12 AM by donfathaimmortal »

Jimmy H.

« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2013, 09:40:47 AM »
  They released far too many and solidified their position as a professional bootlegging company rather than the holders of a valuable catalog
  Pretty much how I feel.  Even that Ultimate Boxed Set had a lower-quality version of a few of the classic catalog tracks. I forget which ones but I also remember them putting a slowed-down version of the unreleased "Natural Born Killaz" with Sam Sneed on there.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2013, 12:15:17 PM »
What I don't understand is why Dre won't just buy the company. I mean wouldn't that be the ultimate redemption?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

V2DHeart

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 06:10:32 AM »
Dre is like Quik. They will never live in the past or even release a "lost tapes" despite fans requests over the years. In spite of that, the label would bring a lot of business issues. Royalty disputes, credit query's and various legal fee's to sort out. I'm sure he could do without the headache.

Chronic - Re-lit - Reissue this with bonus songs that can play in the car stereo
Doggystyle - Reissue with bonus songs - "G'z up, Hoes down" & "The Next Episode"
Above the Rim SDT - Reissue with bonus songs: "Pain" & "Loyal to the Game"
Murder Was the Case - Reissue with bonus songs
Dogg Food - Reissue with bonus song: "U Can't C Me"

So on, and so on. That's the better way to do it. Make the re-issue of the existing catalog worthwhile to pick up again. At least it keeps money coming in, and gives them the time they need to plan and work out deals with disgruntled artists and former employee's that could help with their "unreleased" content, and actually label the work correctly so that when the unreleased albums were to come out, they'd be labelled correctly, and they'd have some money to make them sound like proper albums.

I'm sure most of us have Death Row CD's that cannot be listened to anymore due to the age and scratching over them. Would I want to buy the albums again? Probably not, but add in bonus songs, then yes.

Unreleased albums were always the gem, and appeal to the catalog purchase but they have to be done right. If you go into a nice restaurant, if they don't present the food well and simply shove it all in a blender and give you a liquidated meal then it lowers your expectations.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Jimmy H.

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »
I don't think Dre ever cared about redeeming itself over the Death Row deal.  He pretty much publicly stated that he was moving on.

Chronic - Re-lit - Reissue this with bonus songs that can play in the car stereo
Doggystyle - Reissue with bonus songs - "G'z up, Hoes down" & "The Next Episode"
Above the Rim SDT - Reissue with bonus songs: "Pain" & "Loyal to the Game"
Murder Was the Case - Reissue with bonus songs
Dogg Food - Reissue with bonus song: "U Can't C Me"

So on, and so on. That's the better way to do it. Make the re-issue of the existing catalog worthwhile to pick up again. At least it keeps money coming in, and gives them the time they need to plan and work out deals with disgruntled artists and former employee's that could help with their "unreleased" content, and actually label the work correctly so that when the unreleased albums were to come out, they'd be labelled correctly, and they'd have some money to make them sound like proper albums.
Yeah, re-issues seemed more the way to go.  Take those catalog titles and do extra content like they did with a lot of Boogie Down Productions albums and a few of the solo Wu joints. Hell, even just making a second disc with all the single-only content would have been a nice touch. Collectors and impulse buyers will replace their old CD's of classic albums with newer ones if you give them a good enough reason.

I actually thought "Chronic: ReLit" worked for the most part. The Snoop Sessions could have worked too if they cleaned that shit up on the mix.