Author Topic: What are the most essential g-funk albums I should have?  (Read 2900 times)

donfathaimmortal

Re: What are the most essential g-funk albums I should have?
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 01:59:09 AM »
G.Funk albums

Dr.Dre - "The Chronic" - 1992
PRODUCED BY DR.DRE

Snoop Doggy Dogg - "Doggystyle" - 1993
PRODUCED BY DR.DRE

DJ Quik - "Safe + Sound" - 1995
PRODUCED BY DJ QUIK

Tha Dogg Pound - "Dogg Food" - 1995
PRODUCED BY : DAT NIGGA DAZ

Warren G - "Regulate... G.Funk Era" - 1994
PRODUCED BY WARREN G

Battelcat - "Gumbo Roots" - 1995
PRODUCED BY BATTLECAT

Suga Free - "Street Gospel" - 1997
PRODUCED BY DJ QUIK

Dove Shack - "This Is The Shack" - 1995
PRODUCED BY WARREN G, DOVE SHACK, DJ ENUFF...

Related / influenced

Above The Law - "Black Mafia Life" - 1992
PRODUCED BY COLD 187UM & ABOVE THE LAW

LBC Crew - "Haven't You Heard ?" - (1995)2010
PRODUCED BY SOOPAFLY, DJ POOH, LT HUTTON, DAVE SWANG...

Various - "19th Street LBC Compilation" - (1996)1998
PRODUCED BY LT HUTTON & DAVE SWANG

Nate Dogg - "G.Funk Classics Volume One" - 1997
PRODUCED BY DAT NIGGA DAZ, LT HUTTON, SNOOP DOGGY DOGG, SOOPAFLY...

Penthouse Players Clique - "Paid Tha Cost" - 1992
PRODUCED BY DJ QUIK

The D.O.C. - "Helter Skelter" - 1996
PRODUCED BY EROTIC D & THE D.O.C

Who Am I / KoKane - "Addictive Hip Hop Muzick" - 1991
PRODUCED BY COLD 187UM & ABOVE THE LAW

Mad CJ Mac - "True Game" - 1995
PRODUCED BY CJ MAC & MAD

Various - "Murder Was The Case" OST - 1994
PRODUCED BY DAT NIGGA DAZ, DR DRE, DJ QUIK, SAM SNEED...

Various - "Death Row Greatest Hits" - 1996
PRODUCED BY DR DRE, DAT NIGGA DAZ, KEVYN LEWIS, DJ JAM...

Various ‎- The Death Row Singles Collection - 2006
PRODUCED BY DR DRE, WARREN G, SOOPAFLY, DAT NIGGA DAZ...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:09:17 AM by donfathaimmortal »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

doggfather

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2013, 02:21:30 AM »
Lil 1/2 Dead - Steel on a Mission and the Dead has Arisen
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2013, 04:22:17 AM »
 Yeah most been already mentioned. lil half dead and foesome for sure have havy g funk produced albums and the obvious ones have been mentioned of course.
 I'll add the c style compilations ("19th st l.b.c complimation" and "straight outta cali") also the "escape from deathrow" album, I think "return of the regulator" was already mentioned?
 Daz "RR&GB", "RAW", "this is the life i lead", "DPGC u know what iam throwin up"
 Kurupt disc one of "Kuruption" and "tha streetz is a mutha"
 The eastsidaz albums of course.
 Snoop albums of course, not sure if "No limit top dogg" and "Tha last meal" were mentioned?
 "Dillinger and young gotti". "that was then this is now"

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2013, 11:20:02 AM »
there are no g funk albums really in the history of hip hop that are essential except for maybe chronic and doggystyle and some dont count the chronic as g funk

unless g funk is all your listening too and if thats the case you should make it essential listening to listen to all the music that was used to sample on those albums.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2013, 11:31:34 AM »
does All Eyez On Me count as G funk?

Aladin

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 04:13:14 PM »
Most essential.. No I don't think so.. but worth having in your collection. (If only for the single gangsta strut)

Mass 187 - real trues paying dues

I found a good quality video:

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 09:15:40 PM »
does All Eyez On Me count as G funk?

imo no.

it was trying to be more global with wutang on it and bay area shit all over it he even says on that one beat johnny j stole from esham "some more g funk? you dont need"

Jay_J

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2013, 01:22:52 AM »
Ice Cube - Lethal Injection
DPG - Dillinger and Young Gotti
Cypress Hill- Stoned Raiders

bouli77

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2013, 04:49:44 AM »
there are no g funk albums really in the history of hip hop that are essential except for maybe chronic and doggystyle and some dont count the chronic as g funk

unless g funk is all your listening too and if thats the case you should make it essential listening to listen to all the music that was used to sample on those albums.

I agree with you but that's not the point of the topic

IMO here we're not speaking from a hip-hop point of view, the point is not to assess what G-Funk album was the most influential in the history of hip-hop, or what G-Funk album you need to have in order to understand the evolution of the movement. the point is more to give a list of G-Funk albums that knock from front to back. what album you will like if you like pure G-Funk, and in that case there are many that I prefer over The Chronic even though The Chronic had the most impact. It's like talking about genre movies.

To me, one of the very best G-Funk albums is Conversation. That's Warren G best produced album, well above G-Funk era in my opinion, and it helps that Warren G doesn't rap on it and sticks to production and hooks (his hooks are always dope imo).

it's of course essential to listen to the music used to sample G-Funk but it's very different though and I get those who don't like P-Funk that much and are G-Funk fans (not my case). because Hip-Hop is a more self-contained genre, the structure is way simpler, usually 16 bar verse, 8 bar chorus, a loop and some drums, sometimes a bridge. the talent of the producer is to find a dope loop and to flip it. and you might like that part of the sampled song but not necessary like the musical direction of the entire song. for example I love Tyrone Davis's in the mood, but I think the way DJ Slip flipped it for Eiht, or the way Ant Banks flipped it for Cube & Short is way doper, I'm not too fond of the chorus for example. Same thing for UGK's It's Supposed to Bubble, the way Pimp C sampled it and added banging kicks, and added a stunning piano solo at the very end make it that I prefer it over Passion's Thoughts of an Old Flame musical direction, although both the original songs are musically superior, it's just that I'm not fond of the evolution of the melody in those songs. Another example for me is the loop used on Jayo Felony's Sherm Stick, sampling Teddy Pendergrass's Come Go With Me. That loop is grimey as fuck, I love it, and I love that part in the original song, but the way it shifts after that and the melody teddy sings, I don't really like. the reason I love hip-hop is the ability to sample just a bit of a song to create something that can be totally different from the original and which in a way explores new possibilities about a melody that the original artist hadn't thought of or didn't feel like doing.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2013, 04:59:29 AM »
kdees ass gas or cash was better then most everything yall mentioned for g funk

bouli77

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2013, 07:31:27 PM »
I mentioned it

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2013, 07:42:49 PM »
sorry fam shoulda known you be on top of your music shit.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2013, 07:45:34 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^
if u say so but still there are much better albums from Bay ;) or even South

the south has no good G funk except for UNLV's "uptown 4 life" which still was more bounce rap than G Funk.

quit hating Assassin, son was one of the best producers the westcoast had in the late 90s

bullshit eightball and mjg did a better job at doing g funk then alot of westcoasters. check the first few albums

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2013, 10:59:45 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^

the south has no good G funk except for UNLV's "uptown 4 life" which still was more bounce rap than G Funk.

quit hating Assassin, son was one of the best producers the westcoast had in the late 90s

bullshit eightball and mjg did a better job at doing g funk then alot of westcoasters. check the first few albums

well they were doing songs with E40 and Mac Mall since the day they came out, they almost don't count in that regard.

uNLV and UGK both had a few g-funk songs but neither of them reached out to the west coast unti lthey were fully established

i'm not that up on 8ball and mjg but as someone who likes mac mall i knew he guested on their first LP if i'm not mistaken

bouli77

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2013, 06:28:11 AM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^

well they were doing songs with E40 and Mac Mall since the day they came out, they almost don't count in that regard.

uNLV and UGK both had a few g-funk songs but neither of them reached out to the west coast unti lthey were fully established

i'm not that up on 8ball and mjg but as someone who likes mac mall i knew he guested on their first LP if i'm not mistaken

you are mistaken, Mac Mall is featured on their 3rd album (or fourth if we're couting "listen to the lyrics"), Sittin' On Top of the World. They just did one songs with them though, most of that Suave House shit was in house, and sounded G-Funk to the fullest. South Circle, Mr Mike (some songs produced by E-A Ski), Space Age Pimpin' is one of the best G-Funk tracks ever.

UGK had G-Funk albums, listen to Super Tight, most of the songs sound G-Funk (meshed with UGK's own style) : Supposed to Bubble, Fedz in Town, Protect and Serve, Three Sixteens, Pussy Make Me Dizzy and that's already half of the album. And they reached out to West Coast artists early on in their careers, on Supertight (1994) alone, Pimp C shouts out WC (I Left It Wet For You) and Spice 1 (Fedz In Town), as well as DPG (on the radio version of It's Supposed to Bubble). In the back cover of Supertight, you can see a E-40 poster. Not to mention they were mentored by Too $hort and did a feature with him on It's Alright (Dangerous Ground soundtrack). On Ridin' Dirty, Pimp C shouts out B-Legit, Studio Ton (Murder), and on the outro, he shouts out a LOT of west coast cats like E-40, Too $hort, Goldy, Spice 1, DJ X-Tra Large & G-Nut (187 Fac), C-Bo (one of Pimp C's favorite rappers).
sorry fam shoulda known you be on top of your music shit.

thanks sir