Author Topic: What are the most essential g-funk albums I should have?  (Read 2899 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: What are the most essential g-funk albums I should have?
« Reply #60 on: August 11, 2013, 05:32:20 PM »
doesn't matter, that album was the beginning..shit helped pioneer g-funk and that was when dre first developed that sound (or co-developed, depending on how u look at it)...i remember the ol school poster mellowman once argued that it was basically the album which introduced rap to g-funk. duno if i'd go that far, but it's definitely in essential.
cold 187um started g funk.

or so he claims

the creation of an entire genre cannot be credited to one person.
true but g funk was mentioned on an above the law record before a dr. dre record.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Sccit

« Reply #61 on: August 11, 2013, 05:50:14 PM »
no doubt, but im talkin the development of the genre as opposed to who actually coined the name

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #62 on: August 11, 2013, 05:54:25 PM »
no doubt, but im talkin the development of the genre as opposed to who actually coined the name
above the law.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
doesn't matter, that album was the beginning..shit helped pioneer g-funk and that was when dre first developed that sound (or co-developed, depending on how u look at it)...i remember the ol school poster mellowman once argued that it was basically the album which introduced rap to g-funk. duno if i'd go that far, but it's definitely in essential.

or so he claims

true but g funk was mentioned on an above the law record before a dr. dre record.

so are you saying 2pac started G Funk because he was the first to ever mention the term "G funk" on record in 1992?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2013, 06:12:04 PM »

or so he claims

so are you saying 2pac started G Funk because he was the first to ever mention the term "G funk" on record in 1992?
he may have coined the term.

123imagee

« Reply #65 on: August 11, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »

or so he claims

lmao, that the term was mentioned wasnt really a g-funk beat ;)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »
freepost

awol22222

« Reply #67 on: August 15, 2013, 06:58:19 PM »
there are no g funk albums really in the history of hip hop that are essential except for maybe chronic and doggystyle and some dont count the chronic as g funk

unless g funk is all your listening too and if thats the case you should make it essential listening to listen to all the music that was used to sample on those albums.

Another example for me is the loop used on Jayo Felony's Sherm Stick, sampling Teddy Pendergrass's Come Go With Me. That loop is grimey as fuck, I love it, and I love that part in the original song, but the way it shifts after that and the melody teddy sings, I don't really like. the reason I love hip-hop is the ability to sample just a bit of a song to create something that can be totally different from the original and which in a way explores new possibilities about a melody that the original artist hadn't thought of or didn't feel like doing.
This song also samples Come Go With Me, check it out. (The chorus makes reference to the sample and it's produced by DJ BattleCat.)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/aOR3HB6qAiA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/aOR3HB6qAiA</a>

NIBIRU

« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2013, 05:47:07 PM »
DGSB - THE ALBUM   8) 8)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 05:49:41 PM by NIBIRU »
100% FRENCH FUNK

One2free

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2013, 02:34:23 AM »
btw, could someone provide me a link for the sinister Mobbin 4 LIfe album ?

123imagee

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2013, 05:11:38 AM »
no one mentioned "effil4zaggin"? i credit that as bein an essential in the development of g-funk

not really...only a few g funk songs on there

another classic is Assassin  "Armed N Dangerouz"   it has guest appearances from Cougnut (RIP), RBL Posse, San Quinn, Venom, D-mac (RIP), X Raided, Brotha Lynch Hung, Sh'killa, Gangsta Dee, Shock G, Cisco, Levetti, Guce and Young Life

and the best intro ever  8)

"hitworks volume 1" has a sick intro too.