Author Topic: Crooked I - Apex Predator (Discussion Thread)  (Read 4593 times)

djole 213

Jome

Re: Crooked I - Apex Predator (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2013, 03:08:59 PM »
how's it sound like a mixtape if there are no tags, shout outs, stolen beats or pointless skits?

it's 11 songs, 10 solo.  all original beats.  that's what i call an album..and while there are a few average beats most of this shit is fire.  crook n porter, yodo, vegas on biz, the track with tech etc. are all bangers

Well, I should have explained better what I meant about "sounds like a mixtape".. true, it's in CDQ, all full tracks, and no DJ screaming over it, but..

* Poor/random beat selections, some are extremely bland/generic. It doesn't sound planned in any way. No-name producers might come up with dope beats some times, but it sounds like Crook picked some random beats from Twitter-producer connects.
* No plan/theme for the album, it sounds like 11 tracks put together for good measure. There's no coherency, even Jadakiss-albums sound more coherent, and that says a lot.
* The difference between the dope tracks and the rest is huge. A few of them would sound excellent on an album, while others sounds like mixtape leftovers.
* Subject matter.. Crook might be sick with the flow and punchlines, but 8 of 10 Crook joints features the same braggadocio and tough guy talk.. he should do more concept tracks, and tracks with an actual subject.
* Features. Doing 10 og 11 solo is respectable, but I'd rather hear a couple of well placed features.. i.e. Royce, Kendrick, Jay Rock, Ras Kass, Big K.R.I.T, Pusha T, and K-Young, Kobe & Sly on the hooks..

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 03:11:49 PM »
how's it sound like a mixtape if there are no tags, shout outs, stolen beats or pointless skits?

it's 11 songs, 10 solo.  all original beats.  that's what i call an album..and while there are a few average beats most of this shit is fire.  crook n porter, yodo, vegas on biz, the track with tech etc. are all bangers

Well, I should have explained better what I meant about "sounds like a mixtape".. true, it's in CDQ, all full tracks, and no DJ screaming over it, but..

* Poor/random beat selections, some are extremely bland/generic. It doesn't sound planned in any way. No-name producers might come up with dope beats some times, but it sounds like Crook picked some random beats from Twitter-producer connects.
* No plan/theme for the album, it sounds like 11 tracks put together for good measure. There's no coherency, even Jadakiss-albums sound more coherent, and that says a lot.
* The difference between the dope tracks and the rest is huge. A few of them would sound excellent on an album, while others sounds like mixtape leftovers.
* Subject matter.. Crook might be sick with the flow and punchlines, but 8 of 10 Crook joints features the same braggadocio and tough guy talk.. he should do more concept tracks, and tracks with an actual subject.
* Features. Doing 10 og 11 solo is respectable, but I'd rather hear a couple of well placed features.. i.e. Royce, Kendrick, Jay Rock, Ras Kass, Big K.R.I.T, Pusha T, and K-Young, Kobe & Sly on the hooks..

you summed it up pretty much.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Will_B

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 05:11:52 AM »
Previewed the album on YouTube

Starts with 2 decent tracks and I was thinking hey maybe this ain't going to be so bad

Then the quality drops off and never quite gets back up, ranging from average mixtape stuff to borderline risible. The only track that really stands out for me and shows Crook as a capable artist is Sumthin For Nuthin which actually stands on its own as a decent track.

Having said that Crooks style hasn't matured. The old sound and skill are still there interspersed with jockin bandwagon MMG and Kendrick style and copycat flows. For an artist as established and acclaimed as Crooked I for him to not have a fully developed MC persona for his clearly capable pen deems him still unworthy of a solo album that's going to have any impact - and it shows here. If he really did try on this one he failed.

4.5/10 somewhere between poor and mediocre

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 08:05:11 AM »
yodo reminds me of obie trices youve been slain.

both songs make me want to cap an englishman.

U.N.T.O.U.C.H.A.B.L.E.

« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 08:10:22 AM »
after a week of bumping this album/mixtape i gotta say crooked needs darren vegas & jim gettum back in the circle cause these producers he got now aint cutting it at all...

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »
yeah im sure that will sell a million.

go sit your chrondon lookin ass down somewhere and practice looking hard in the mirror and change that ugly ass sig while your at it no ones buying this cunts book.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2013, 07:31:04 PM »
This was a cheap album...simple and plain. Crooked is probably a tight ass, who doesn't want to spend on better production and features. It's got some good tracks but it's a half ass album. He didn't take this shit serious. He wasn't trying to make a classic here.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:24 PM »
shit is so mixtapish.

i feel bad for the ppl that was waiting this whole time...i lost anticipation for any good crook album by 06

Will_B

« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2013, 12:33:59 AM »
hack im trying to understand what your issue with this woman is...is she known industry trash or something ?or would you prefer a big ass pic of his neckless face?

...are you just saying its a shitty cover overall? help me out here fam.

It's an industry thing that ugly or old artists don't put their mug on the cover isn't it?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2013, 02:40:40 AM »
good for crooked that he decided to call something an album.
though i agree the sound of most of the songs is very generic, same thing with his EPs(as expected)

for now i like nobody cares, could be a single

NIBIRU

« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2013, 03:12:39 AM »
NOT FOR ME THX
100% FRENCH FUNK

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »
good for crooked that he decided to call something an album.
though i agree the sound of most of the songs is very generic, same thing with his EPs(as expected)

for now i like nobody cares, could be a single

thats funny cuz nobody cares is the only song i find myself skipping

Blood$

« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 09:54:40 AM »
change that ugly ass sig while your at it no ones buying this cunts book.

Crooked I

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 05:26:36 PM »
apex predator sounds like shit thats why it didnt make it into the charts and thats the proof crooked i isnt the artist ppl thought.........

ive to be sad for every second of my life invested in crooked i (except of hip hop weekly) , he isnt a good artist, he knows shit about good beats good songs marketing and everything fuck him and sorry for anyone who bought the album on itunes, that nigger deserves to die from hunger