Poll

Who Has Better Music?

East Coast
6 (27.3%)
West Coast
16 (72.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: East Coast vs. West Coast  (Read 2251 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: East Coast vs. West Coast
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2013, 07:38:59 PM »
Honestly thought we were strictly talking old school. Now it doesn't matter because artists from the West, like Kendrick, don't follow the same formula like they did back in the day.

So today, it's really just a toss-up between who your favorite artist is because they all come with a similar style, outside of a few artists there really isn't a defining East & West sound. If Kendrick didn't rep it & we didn't know, it wouldn't jump out at you that he repped West.

Sccit

« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2013, 08:29:36 PM »
Honestly thought we were strictly talking old school. Now it doesn't matter because artists from the West, like Kendrick, don't follow the same formula like they did back in the day.

So today, it's really just a toss-up between who your favorite artist is because they all come with a similar style, outside of a few artists there really isn't a defining East & West sound. If Kendrick didn't rep it & we didn't know, it wouldn't jump out at you that he repped West.

there are still lyrical rappers wit a traditional west coast sound...crooked i, locksmith, planet asia, defari, heiro, techniec, ras kass, saafir, tash, dilated, xzibit, yukmouth, tray deee.. as for old school lyricists from the west- kam, d.o.c, del, x-raided, fatlip, rbx, ol' school kurupt, paris come to mind.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #92 on: September 02, 2013, 08:48:34 PM »
Lyrically, new school rappers, the east is not even touching the west. Name one rapper better than Kendrick, better than the rest of Black Hippy. Hell Tyler, The Creator is one of the best under 30 out today. The closest in New York is the A$AP crew. But none of them are on the same level as LA right now.

Historically, we can argue for years, hell this board has been 12 years of this argument. But right now, in 2013, LA LYRICALLY>>>>NY Lyrically.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #93 on: September 02, 2013, 08:49:41 PM »
Lyrically, new school rappers, the east is not even touching the west. Name one rapper better than Kendrick, better than the rest of Black Hippy. Hell Tyler, The Creator is one of the best under 30 out today. The closest in New York is the A$AP crew. But none of them are on the same level as LA right now.

Historically, we can argue for years, hell this board has been 12 years of this argument. But right now, in 2013, LA LYRICALLY>>>>NY Lyrically.

this is true...it's sad how things chance.  all the best rappers in NY are over 30 and closer to leaving the game and entering it

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #94 on: September 02, 2013, 08:58:17 PM »

this is true...it's sad how things chance.  all the best rappers in NY are over 30 and closer to leaving the game and entering it

Yeah, the game's changed. I think that it's because over the years the west has been open to both East and Southern sounds in LA, were as in NY they were only open to NY, until the South took over. Now you have all of the under 30 NY rappers trying to sound like the South, and the LA rappers with Southern and Soulful beats but sounding like NY rappers. The Westcoast is in the post-Gangsta Rap era. And I hin kit's opened up a new sound and better lyrical content.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »

Yeah, the game's changed. I think that it's because over the years the west has been open to both East and Southern sounds in LA, were as in NY they were only open to NY, until the South took over. Now you have all of the under 30 NY rappers trying to sound like the South, and the LA rappers with Southern and Soulful beats but sounding like NY rappers. The Westcoast is in the post-Gangsta Rap era. And I hin kit's opened up a new sound and better lyrical content.

NYC really needs a true savior...not kendrick hahaha

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2013, 09:15:22 PM »

NYC really needs a true savior...not kendrick hahaha

Papoose? nah... he's my age. Drake... LMAO!!!

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2013, 09:27:51 PM »
Joell Ortiz, Bada$$, Budden, Banks, Logic, Meek Mill, A$AP, the list can go on too. The West only has Kendrick and Ab as their forefront. I'll take Kemdrick as a rapper over everyone I named (besides Budden personally), but don't front like the East doesn't have more names going on.

Just because California takes up 95% of the West, doesn't mean NYC takes up that much of the East.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »
Joell Ortiz, Bada$$, Budden, Banks, Logic, Meek Mill, A$AP, the list can go on too. The West only has Kendrick and Ab as their forefront. I'll take Kemdrick as a rapper over everyone I named (besides Budden personally), but don't front like the East doesn't have more names going on.

Just because California takes up 95% of the West, doesn't mean NYC takes up that much of the East.

Joell Ortiz, 33 (my exact age)
Joey Bada$$, ain't done shit yet
Budden, 33 (my exact age)
Lloyd Banks, 31, AIN'T NEVER DONE SHIT
Logic, He has potential, let's see what he does
Meek Mill is from Philly
A$AP ain't up to Black Hippy.

Westcoast, Kendrick, Black Hippy, Taylor the Creator, Vince Staples, Problem (ignorant rapper pick of the day), Bad Lucc, Jonwayne (for the internet Hip-Hop nerds), Joey Fatts ('cause we need west coast A$AP peeps), DaVinci, fuck what you heard the West is where it is at right now.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2013, 10:05:22 PM »
so Royce and Crook are the 2 oldest in SH?  both were both in 1978 i think..at least Crook was

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #100 on: September 02, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »
I just stared at a map...is Philly not in the East Coast?

BadA$$, Meek Mill and A$AP have accomplished more than everyone you named but Kendrick and I guess Ab.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2013, 10:14:15 PM »

BadA$$, Meek Mill and A$AP have accomplished more than everyone you named but Kendrick and I guess Ab.

what about Jay Rock?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2013, 10:22:34 PM »
so Royce and Crook are the 2 oldest in SH?  both were both in 1978 i think..at least Crook was

I think Royce is closer to 40? Isn't he as old as Eminem, or slightly younger?

I'm comparing LA and NY. And most everyone is all potential right now. And Black Hippy is a group, you have 1 group and 1 other guy. If you throw in Taylor the Creator for La, you basically have a wash. Both sides have older vets, many my age like Crooked I, Game, Ortiz, Budden, Banks, and then there is this bubbling of younger dudes ready to explode. On the west, it's been pretty consistent with one hit wonders, Cali Swag District, New Boyz, The Rej3ctz, Far East Movement. These artist were part of movements, which hit mainstream. This is a sign of when your culture is dominating. When I worked with high school kids, they were all about the Dougie and Jerk dance. Right now, LA culture is influencing Hip-Hop, the young rappers are better on the west and the mainstream rappers are doing their thing. It's a different world right now.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #103 on: September 02, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »
royce is 5 years younger than Em

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #104 on: September 02, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »
He is 36. born in '77.