7 (7.6%)
Soopafly
2 (2.2%)
DJ Pooh
7 (7.6%)
Johnny J
5 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)  (Read 9309 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2013, 02:34:37 PM »

SAFE + SOUND, DOLLAZ & SENSE, YOUZ A GANGXTA, DOWN DOWN DOWN, PITCH IN ON A PARTY, SO MANY WAYZ, TONITE

HOW FAMILIAR ARE U WIT THESE CUTS, HONESTLY?

Honestly, I'm very familiar with all the cuts you mentioned, except maybe "Safe + Sound", "Pitch In A Party" I haven't bumped that much.  All the other tracks you've mentioned I've played out on repeat... Don't take me as someone who isn't a Quik fan, I love Quik and give him madd respect and props.   

But those songs you mentioned are all very dope cuts, but not the stuff of legends.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

K-MACC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »
Niggarachi  8)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2013, 05:14:24 PM »
the glory boys of the 90s...gotta love em.

warren g has earned his stripes but no hes not a very accomplished producer, he has classics among this niche community but none of his shit after regulate was very memorable.

all he did on regulate and a bunch of those beats was loop a sample and if your lucky warren played a moog riff over it....

once he got to doing the twinz album he was making some original compositions and his choice of samples was getting better but after he lost the def jam machene it seemed like his beats took a turn for the worst. im not sure if he lost his studio players or had to downgrade his equipment but he never really could find his groove after regulate...i want it all was a DOPE comeback effort but then the albums that followed it all sucked and yall know it.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2013, 05:47:18 PM »

warren g has earned his stripes but no hes not a very accomplished producer, he has classics among this niche community but none of his shit after regulate was very memorable.

all he did on regulate and a bunch of those beats was loop a sample and if your lucky warren played a moog riff over it....

once he got to doing the twinz album he was making some original compositions and his choice of samples was getting better but after he lost the def jam machene it seemed like his beats took a turn for the worst. im not sure if he lost his studio players or had to downgrade his equipment but he never really could find his groove after regulate...i want it all was a DOPE comeback effort but then the albums that followed it all sucked and yall know it.
return of the regulator was fire.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2013, 06:04:13 PM »

nice post, and good info about the equipment he was using, Def Jam machine, etc..

I do disagree slightly in saying "all he did" on Regulate was loop samples and that his choice of samples later IMPROVED.  It's hard to IMPROVE on perfection and the G Funk Era album was the West Coast version of Nas Illmatic in my opinion it was perfection.

I also disagree slightly with you saying all his albums after I Want It All "sucked", don't forget The Return Of The Regulator had some dope cuts on there
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Sccit

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2013, 06:22:54 PM »

SAFE + SOUND, DOLLAZ & SENSE, YOUZ A GANGXTA, DOWN DOWN DOWN, PITCH IN ON A PARTY, SO MANY WAYZ, TONITE

HOW FAMILIAR ARE U WIT THESE CUTS, HONESTLY?

Honestly, I'm very familiar with all the cuts you mentioned, except maybe "Safe + Sound", "Pitch In A Party" I haven't bumped that much.  All the other tracks you've mentioned I've played out on repeat... Don't take me as someone who isn't a Quik fan, I love Quik and give him madd respect and props.   

But those songs you mentioned are all very dope cuts, but not the stuff of legends.

THATS FLAT OUT WRONG

DJ QUIK IS A LEGEND IN HIS OWN RIGHT, AND EVERY RAPPER AND PRODUCER U MENTIONED WILL VOUCH FOR THAT.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2013, 07:02:13 PM »

its not bad by no means but saying its fire is a bit of a ducktale

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2013, 07:11:53 PM »

its not bad by no means but saying its fire is a bit of a ducktale

word.. ROTR had it's moments but it wasn't "fire"

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »

THATS FLAT OUT WRONG

DJ QUIK IS A LEGEND IN HIS OWN RIGHT, AND EVERY RAPPER AND PRODUCER U MENTIONED WILL VOUCH FOR THAT.

You can't be a legend without legendary tracks.  DJ Quik's career was always on the cusp of legendary status.  He's like the B Team of West Coast greatest.  On the A team you got 2pac, Dre, Snoop, Daz, Kurupt, Ice Cube, Nate Dogg, Warren G, Xzibit, etc... then on the B team you have the likes of DOC, DJ Quik, Rass Kass, Tray Dee, Johnny J, etc.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2013, 07:19:30 PM »
I still think everything Warren G did for other artist was straight fire. His own stuff is to be desired, but tracks like That's Gangsta by Kurupt, Nobody Does It Better with Nate Dogg, Sassy Ways with 213 and other tracks are straight fire. Not sure if Warren is not confident in himself as a rapper to give himself the good beats (although I would say Warren G the rapper is not that good) but I don't judge Warren G by his albums, but what he gave others or what beats he used when others were featured on his track. That Warren G is only second to DJ Quik and Dr. Dre in my opinion.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:04 PM »
I still think everything Warren G did for other artist was straight fire. His own stuff is to be desired, but tracks like That's Gangsta by Kurupt, Nobody Does It Better with Nate Dogg, Sassy Ways with 213 and other tracks are straight fire. Not sure if Warren is not confident in himself as a rapper to give himself the good beats (although I would say Warren G the rapper is not that good) but I don't judge Warren G by his albums, but what he gave others or what beats he used when others were featured on his track. That Warren G is only second to DJ Quik and Dr. Dre in my opinion.

wow... for us both being big time Warren G fans I totally disagree with all the details of this post.

First of all, "Sassy Ways" was a Warren G song on a Warren G album.

Warren G gave himself all of his best beats.   His best beats are on G Funk Era, "Regulate", "Do You See", "Recognize", "So Many Ways" are the all time great, classic, timeless Warren G beats.  He is very under-rated as a rapper, as his voice, flow and lyrics always matched the nostalgic sound of his production.  Another lesser known classic of his was, "Still Can't Fade It" off the Show Soundtrack (best soundtrack of all time).

I think he also had some of his best beats on the Twinz Conversation album but you didn't mention any of those cuts.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »

dj uneek was a better producer then daz or warren g.  :-*

Good point.. I forgot about that nicca... I don't know if he's better than Daz or Warren G but he's up there.  I guess I just always forget about him since Bone isn't from the West Coast

Sccit

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »

"return of the regulator" and "in the mid-nite hour" were both dope albums....."g-files" had some nice cuts, as well. his production helped define g-funk and his style became one of the wests staple sounds. has nothin to do with glory boys or any of that shit, the guy is a bonafide west coast legend, one of my favorite producers from any coast. i dont think ive heard a whack warren g beat. i dont think any producer is as good with the smooth shit as warren.

Sccit

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:49 PM »

THATS FLAT OUT WRONG

You can't be a legend without legendary tracks.  DJ Quik's career was always on the cusp of legendary status.  He's like the B Team of West Coast greatest.  On the A team you got 2pac, Dre, Snoop, Daz, Kurupt, Ice Cube, Nate Dogg, Warren G, Xzibit, etc... then on the B team you have the likes of DOC, DJ Quik, Rass Kass, Tray Dee, Johnny J, etc.

quik goes with the first group, homie....take it from an LA head. ask any of those 9 artists u listed whether dj quik is a first rate legend, and all will jump up enthusiastically to say yes...guaranteed.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »

wow... for us both being big time Warren G fans I totally disagree with all the details of this post.

First of all, "Sassy Ways" was a Warren G song on a Warren G album.

Warren G gave himself all of his best beats.   His best beats are on G Funk Era, "Regulate", "Do You See", "Recognize", "So Many Ways" are the all time great, classic, timeless Warren G beats.  He is very under-rated as a rapper, as his voice, flow and lyrics always matched the nostalgic sound of his production.  Another lesser known classic of his was, "Still Can't Fade It" off the Show Soundtrack (best soundtrack of all time).

I think he also had some of his best beats on the Twinz Conversation album but you didn't mention any of those cuts.

I thought the Twinz album was just a given? LOL, that's like saying the sky is blue.

G Funk Era is the 2nd best album he produced. But outside of G Funk Era, I do think he has lost some confidence in his own rapping abilities. But well his other album productions have been mixed as tracks that have a feature are great, solo tracks not so much, his work for others is top notch.

Just a quick run down of Warren tracks.

Indo Smoke - Mr. Grimm
How Long Will they Mourn Me - 2Pac
Biological Didn't Bother - Shaq
What We Go Through - ft. Mr. Malik, Bad Azz, Perfec
Lie to Kick It - 2Pac
Definition of a Thug Nigga - 2Pac
Nobody Does It Better - Nate Dogg
That's Gangsta - Kurupt
Game Don't Wait - ft. 213
Big Bang Theory - Tha Eastsidaz

I can go on.