7 (7.6%)
Soopafly
2 (2.2%)
DJ Pooh
7 (7.6%)
Johnny J
5 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)  (Read 9303 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2013, 10:12:14 PM »

I thought the Twinz album was just a given? LOL, that's like saying the sky is blue.

G Funk Era is the 2nd best album he produced. But outside of G Funk Era, I do think he has lost some confidence in his own rapping abilities. But well his other album productions have been mixed as tracks that have a feature are great, solo tracks not so much, his work for others is top notch.

Just a quick run down of Warren tracks.

Indo Smoke - Mr. Grimm
How Long Will they Mourn Me - 2Pac
Biological Didn't Bother - Shaq
What We Go Through - ft. Mr. Malik, Bad Azz, Perfec
Lie to Kick It - 2Pac
Definition of a Thug Nigga - 2Pac
Nobody Does It Better - Nate Dogg
That's Gangsta - Kurupt
Game Don't Wait - ft. 213
Big Bang Theory - Tha Eastsidaz

I can go on.

MDogg.. you are slippin homie.. I know I'm kind of splitting hairs with you but for a Warren G fan you should know better.  First you said "Sassy Ways" wasn't a Warren G song and now you mentioned "What We Go Through" as not being a Warren G song.  Both of those tracks featured Warren G and were cuts off Warren G albums.

Other than that, you made some decent mentions.  I've had the album forever but for some reason I didn't know that Warren produced "Big Bang Theory" off the Eastsidaz album.  One day we need to get a Snoop interview on here and really figure out what his opinion is of Warren G as an artist and producer and why he never supported his best friend much by using his production.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2013, 10:15:01 PM »

I thought the Twinz album was just a given? LOL, that's like saying the sky is blue.

G Funk Era is the 2nd best album he produced. But outside of G Funk Era, I do think he has lost some confidence in his own rapping abilities. But well his other album productions have been mixed as tracks that have a feature are great, solo tracks not so much, his work for others is top notch.

Indo Smoke - Mr. Grimm
Lie to Kick It - 2Pac
That's Gangsta - Kurupt

I can go on.

MDogg.. you are slippin homie.. I know I'm kind of splitting hairs with you but for a Warren G fan you should know better.  First you said "Sassy Ways" wasn't a Warren G song and now you mentioned "What We Go Through" as not being a Warren G song.  Both of those tracks featured Warren G and were cuts off Warren G albums.

Other than that, you made some decent mentions.  I've had the album forever but for some reason I didn't know that Warren produced "Big Bang Theory" off the Eastsidaz album.  One day we need to get a Snoop interview on here and really figure out what his opinion is of Warren G as an artist and producer and why he never supported his best friend much by using his production.

misinformation-dogg strikes again.....game dont wait was also on a warren g album lol

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:48 PM »
Actually, if you read my post, I said Warren G songs with a feature as well as songs Warren G produced for others. So Sassy Ways, What We Go Through and Game Don't Wait all fall in the tracks on the album that have a feature.

Indo Smoke - Mr. Grimm
Lie to Kick It - 2Pac
That's Gangsta - Kurupt

I can go on.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:57 PM »

misinformation-dogg strikes again.....game dont wait was also on a warren g album lol

word.. he slipped that one by me.. and lol@mis-information dogg
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2013, 10:18:47 PM »

Scittles, when will we stop arguing with each other and calling each other names?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2013, 10:19:40 PM »
Actually, if you read my post, I said Warren G songs with a feature as well as songs Warren G produced for others. So Sassy Ways, What We Go Through and Game Don't Wait all fall in the tracks on the album that have a feature.

What the fuck?  That's madd confusing homie.   Warren G is like Dre, he's a producer first, an artist second.  So naturally most of his tracks will have features.   I guess now I get your point but that shit was madd confusing.   In fact, I still don't get it

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2013, 10:23:08 PM »

quik goes with the first group, homie....take it from an LA head. ask any of those 9 artists u listed whether dj quik is a first rate legend, and all will jump up enthusiastically to say yes...guaranteed.

Come on homie.. that line of argument has to fall under the category of some kind of logical fallacy....   

Most rappers make for horrible music critics.  They will say damn near anything is dope, and that everyone they like.  Pac was like the only rapper that kept shit real in interviews when questioned about other rappers music. 

They will always give a favorable rating on anybody.  Ask them if Jay-Z or Lil Wayne is a legend and they will probably say yes. 

bouli77

« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2013, 10:23:32 PM »
the glory boys of the 90s...gotta love em.

warren g has earned his stripes but no hes not a very accomplished producer, he has classics among this niche community but none of his shit after regulate was very memorable.

all he did on regulate and a bunch of those beats was loop a sample and if your lucky warren played a moog riff over it....

once he got to doing the twinz album he was making some original compositions and his choice of samples was getting better but after he lost the def jam machene it seemed like his beats took a turn for the worst. im not sure if he lost his studio players or had to downgrade his equipment but he never really could find his groove after regulate...i want it all was a DOPE comeback effort but then the albums that followed it all sucked and yall know it.

Conversation is to me the best production effort Warren G has ever done, it's when he reached his climax (no homo) as a producer. Smooth G-Funk at its finest.

As a rapper Warren G is trash, I mean I love him but I was just playin Regulate and TALOYS lately and aside from "warren geezy weezy from the LBC, me and Snoop grew up together, he's the MC i'M the DJ" he doesn't say much. He's dope on occasion though and does dope hooks as he did for The Twinz for example, but an album worth of Warren G can make you nauseous. That's why I think Conversation aged much better than Regulate.

As a producer Warren G is dope as fuck, his catalogue is very nice. As NIKCC said I don't think I ever heard a bad Warren G production. I like what Pete Rock said about Warren G on twitter : "Yo,there is a reason why my head kept bouncing to da jeezy song with neo,cuz the G-FUNK REGULATOR did it,Wow didn't know that. Smh Warren G Was always Dat dude tho,his feel on shit is official. #myera"

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #83 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:53 PM »

What the fuck?  That's madd confusing homie.   Warren G is like Dre, he's a producer first, an artist second.  So naturally most of his tracks will have features.   I guess now I get your point but that shit was madd confusing.   In fact, I still don't get it

Yeah, most of what I wrote earlier was typing well my kid was eating diner, so it was rushed.

Here it all is very simple.

Warren G producing other peoples' tracks, great
When Warren G puts a feature on his album, great
When Warren G does a solo track with no features, meh, except his first album.

But solo Warren G tracks include I Shot the Sheriff, Transformers, and even I Want It All with Mack 10, which was majority Warren G with a couple of Mack 10 bars. Those tracks to me were okay, but I think Warren could have had better tracks. Well he gave himself Transformers, Kurupt got That's Gangsta. Well Warren G was trying to make I Want It All a single, Nate Dogg had Nobody Does It Better, when Warren G decided to let Dre produce his single Lookin' at You, which was as generic a Dre beat as you can get, Warren had Sassy Ways left on the album and never released it as a single. He did the whole In the Mid-Nite Hour album with Bishop, but gave Ice Cube - Race Card.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »

Conversation is to me the best production effort Warren G has ever done, it's when he reached his climax (no homo) as a producer. Smooth G-Funk at its finest.

As a rapper Warren G is trash, I mean I love him but I was just playin Regulate and TALOYS lately and aside from "warren geezy weezy from the LBC, me and Snoop grew up together, he's the MC i'M the DJ" he doesn't say much. He's dope on occasion though and does dope hooks as he did for The Twinz for example, but an album worth of Warren G can make you nauseous. That's why I think Conversation aged much better than Regulate.

As a producer Warren G is dope as fuck, his catalogue is very nice. As NIKCC said I don't think I ever heard a bad Warren G production. I like what Pete Rock said about Warren G on twitter : "Yo,there is a reason why my head kept bouncing to da jeezy song with neo,cuz the G-FUNK REGULATOR did it,Wow didn't know that. Smh Warren G Was always Dat dude tho,his feel on shit is official. #myera"

I don't know that you can argue that Warren can't rap and then talk up the Conversation album in the same sentence.  Because the Twinz and Warren G both rap with pretty much the same vocabulary, and I would argue that Warren's lyrics are a little doper considering he's had a lot more experiences to draw from than the Twinz.  You could maybe argue that the Twinz have a better flow, but even then I would disagree cause I think Warren is smooth on the mic and a perfect match for his beats.

I think because Dre and Warren are known as producers that people often sleep on their abilities to rap.  But I've never heard a verse from either of them that I didn't like.

bouli77

« Reply #85 on: August 14, 2013, 10:57:04 PM »

I don't know that you can argue that Warren can't rap and then talk up the Conversation album in the same sentence.  Because the Twinz and Warren G both rap with pretty much the same vocabulary, and I would argue that Warren's lyrics are a little doper considering he's had a lot more experiences to draw from than the Twinz.  You could maybe argue that the Twinz have a better flow, but even then I would disagree cause I think Warren is smooth on the mic and a perfect match for his beats.

I think because Dre and Warren are known as producers that people often sleep on their abilities to rap.  But I've never heard a verse from either of them that I didn't like.

Trip Locc & Wayniac a dope MC's, they have better technique and put together better verses than Warren, you need to listen again. They punch better, they flow better, they are accomplished MC's. The Twinz rank among the better Long Beach rappers (with Bad Azz, Tray Deee or MNMsta from Foesum). As for the content of the lyrics, it's still better than the two different subject matters Warren G ever touched on in his career (his youth with Snoopy and Nate and his dealing with success and everything that comes with it : revenge, haters, dickriders). Dre is a better rapper than Warren G, mainly because he's more of a perfectionist and gets his shit ghostwritten by the best MC's, then again Warren G puts more soul into his rap but the lack of subject matter is really redundant. He does get some of his shit ghostwritten too (by Bad Azz, among others).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:00:07 PM by bouli77 »

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #86 on: August 14, 2013, 11:14:43 PM »
after return of the regulator shit just got real bland and flat sounding is the best way i can put it.

his music lost that polished sound those funky ass bass lines etc. hes ALWAYS had good concepts though some times his executions fall short. i seen so much potential in his remake for village ghetto land but it also fell a little short of where i wanted to see him push it. i enjoyed those remixes he did for groupie love it proved hes still got the chops i think he needs access to more musicians.

Will_B

« Reply #87 on: August 14, 2013, 11:41:52 PM »
G Dubbs got a pretty respectibe discography for a producer/rapper. Even his lesser or inconstant albums (like I Want It All) are a good listen when you're in the mood for that smooth sound. He's 'fallen off' but its only that studio money he's lacking. And you could make a classic album out of his best tracks 8)

Regulate..
Take a Look

I Want I All
Return..
Mid Nite Hour

G-Files

dnjp4life

« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2013, 12:55:07 AM »
This is a no-brainer for me.  DJ Quik will always be my 2nd favourite rap producer of all time behind Dr. Dre.  Sometimes I put him first depending on how I'm feeling on the day.

If I had to round it out to 3, I would put both Daz and Battlecat there as they've both produced a lot of classic songs over the years.  I would like to put Jonny J in there but, although he crafted some of 2Pac's best and most memorable records, he doesn't have an extensive catalogue outside of that really.   

The others in the list have also all made classic joints but again, not enough for me to put them in my top 3.

tha kid2012

« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2013, 05:02:23 AM »
does anyone have a good rip of that dj quik its like everyday? cant seem to find that shit anywhere