7 (7.6%)
Soopafly
2 (2.2%)
DJ Pooh
7 (7.6%)
Johnny J
5 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)  (Read 9306 times)

bouli77

Re: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)
« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2013, 03:42:01 AM »
Bosko is dope as hell too imo, I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet. To me he's like a bay area Battlecat, he's got that type of funk in his beats. I especially like what he did for E-40 during the "Element Of Surprise", "Charlie Hustle" and "Loyalty & Betrayal" days. Prodeje from South Central Cartel is another one, dude gets slept on hard for his productions; "N Gatz We Truss", "All Day Everyday", "Kickin' Game" are all classic albums imo. Madness 4 Real is another dude that was dope back in the day, the stuff he did for WC (check Dub's "Curb Servin'" album) and Ruthless was sick (Eazy-E's "Luv 4 Dem Gangsta'z" is one of my favorite Madness 4 Real tracks). For me the list goes like this, there's so many I can keep going though; they're all tight it's hard to put them in order specially the top 5, it depends on my mood. Quik is definitely #1 tho'.

1. DJ Quik
2. Battlecat
3. DJ Pooh / Fredwreck (like 'em both equally)
4. Daz & Soopafly (they've done so much together that I can't put one before the other)
5. Dr. Dre
6. Cold 187 / Warren G (like 'em both equally)
7. DJ Muggs
8. Shock G
9. Prodeje
10. Bosko / Madness 4 Real (like 'em both equally, I would have put them higher but I just wish they would have done more)

I almost forgot about Muggs and Shock G, I had to edit my top ten and put them on.

bosko's dope, and dude can sing too (cf. Tremendous Damage on Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors).

I forgot Prode'je but I thought about him later on, dude has a crazy catalogue but he owes a lot to his co-producers though (Robert Bacon & Tommy Mundy).

Madness 4 Real are from Denmark though

Jimmy H.

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »
I forgot Prode'je but I thought about him later on, dude has a crazy catalogue but he owes a lot to his co-producers though (Robert Bacon & Tommy Mundy).
That's true of just about every great producer.

trestyles

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #107 on: August 18, 2013, 06:40:56 AM »
dre
madlib
dj quick
alchemist

OGdoc

« Reply #108 on: August 19, 2013, 12:18:34 AM »
King Tee
Kid Frost
Westcoast Stone (2 underrated imo)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #109 on: August 19, 2013, 01:07:28 PM »
regulate is perfect the way it is...it's a classic album, and any1 who rates it a 7 has no credibility when it comes to west coast rap

this.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #110 on: August 19, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
7 out of ten would be a VERY generous rating if were ranking it amongst all hip hop if were only talking westcoast id say seven is about appropriate.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #111 on: August 19, 2013, 01:14:18 PM »
Bosko is dope as hell too imo, I don't think anyone has mentioned him yet. To me he's like a bay area Battlecat, he's got that type of funk in his beats. I especially like what he did for E-40 during the "Element Of Surprise", "Charlie Hustle" and "Loyalty & Betrayal" days. Prodeje from South Central Cartel is another one, dude gets slept on hard for his productions; "N Gatz We Truss", "All Day Everyday", "Kickin' Game" are all classic albums imo. Madness 4 Real is another dude that was dope back in the day, the stuff he did for WC (check Dub's "Curb Servin'" album) and Ruthless was sick (Eazy-E's "Luv 4 Dem Gangsta'z" is one of my favorite Madness 4 Real tracks). For me the list goes like this, there's so many I can keep going though; they're all tight it's hard to put them in order specially the top 5, it depends on my mood. Quik is definitely #1 tho'.

1. DJ Quik
2. Battlecat
3. DJ Pooh / Fredwreck (like 'em both equally)
4. Daz & Soopafly (they've done so much together that I can't put one before the other)
5. Dr. Dre
6. Cold 187 / Warren G (like 'em both equally)
7. DJ Muggs
8. Shock G
9. Prodeje
10. Bosko / Madness 4 Real (like 'em both equally, I would have put them higher but I just wish they would have done more)

I almost forgot about Muggs and Shock G, I had to edit my top ten and put them on.

bosko's dope, and dude can sing too (cf. Tremendous Damage on Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors).

Madness 4 Real are from Denmark though

didnt know them dudes were from denmark...didnt know rob bacon was the one playing on alot of those prodeje productions...i wasnt a huge fan of theirs but i heard all their shit from my homeboys. that song they had on the show stdk went hard. and so did that cd that havikk and prodege did with LV all over almost every song.

Will_B

« Reply #112 on: August 19, 2013, 01:14:19 PM »
7 out of ten would be a VERY generous rating if were ranking it amongst all hip hop if were only talking westcoast id say seven is about appropriate.

Thank you.

Typical West Coast headz™ ain't taking lyricism and song writing into account. Only the production sound and delivery.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2013, 01:19:36 PM »
i dont want to take away from the impact it had on the culture at the time because that was a huge album but that shit did NOT age well.

Will_B

« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
i dont want to take away from the impact it had on the culture at the time because that was a huge album but that shit did NOT age well.

The lead single is a part of modern pop culture.

If Warren had 11 more Regulates on the album we'd be talking Doggystyle status.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »
 id put pharcydes first album before regulate

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2013, 01:38:07 PM »

Overall, yes, I agree. But I would put the production of Regulate over Pharcyde.

Will_B

« Reply #117 on: August 19, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »

I rate them the same actually.

I loved that track they did on Heavy Rhyme Experience since it came out ahead of the album, but they ain't got enough in em to fill a CD. Most of its just goofball stuff, just kidz in a studio. Production is gorgeous tho.

The albums both follow the format of all the main work put into the singles (a mainstream thing). Not knocking Warren for that btw Nik

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #118 on: August 19, 2013, 01:46:21 PM »

Thank you.

Typical West Coast headz™ ain't taking lyricism and song writing into account. Only the production sound and delivery.

Fuck that... beatheoven and Mozart didn't have any lyrics in their music.. and they are considered the all-time greats.  I can't imagine someone sitting back bumping Warren G's shit and being like, "ohhh that last rhyme wasn't complex enough, I decided I don't like this"
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Will_B

« Reply #119 on: August 19, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

Thank you.

Fuck that... beatheoven and Mozart didn't have any lyrics in their music.. and they are considered the all-time greats.  I can't imagine someone sitting back bumping Warren G's shit and being like, "ohhh that last rhyme wasn't complex enough, I decided I don't like this"

Alternately - how can you fully appreciate the art of rap if you don't value better lyricism?