7 (7.6%)
Soopafly
2 (2.2%)
DJ Pooh
7 (7.6%)
Johnny J
5 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)  (Read 9323 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)
« Reply #120 on: August 19, 2013, 02:00:19 PM »
By the art of flow. Snoop, even in his prime, wasn't the best lyricist. But that muthaphukka was the coldest sounding dude to ever spit.

Will_B

« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2013, 02:17:05 PM »
By the art of flow. Snoop, even in his prime, wasn't the best lyricist. But that muthaphukka was the coldest sounding dude to ever spit.

Sure. But even Snoop on Doggystyle hits a ceiling and after a time can only keep repeating himself.

It's Dre's finessing Snoops delivery, his production and the supporting cast in tandem with Snoop the MC that make it what it is (and why Snoop never got close again since).

The holy grail to some, but Chronic is better IMO and there are better still albums out there

For example

Which is why I think it's funny when someone says Regulate is a 9.5

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »
See, with Warren G and Regulate, you are confusing production with album quality. Of course Chronic is better than Doggystyle, Chronic might be the greatest rap album ever. Of course PE is better than Regulate, ITANOMTHUB is a fucking bad ass album! What I'm saying is just straight production. If you look at albums for nothing more than beats, Regulate... is one of the best albums ever. Regulate... was a fuckin' amazing collections of beats. As I said, overall I'd say 8.5-9.0. It's overall impact to Hip-Hop is still huge 20 years later, the single tracks were all good and the lead single is a classic track. These are things that make a great album. I'm not talking about the raps on the album, because the raps were sub-par. But as just a work of production with a producer making beats and covering up the short comings of those rapping on the album (including himself), it's a damn good album.

What's funny if you are listing classic albums to prove Regulate is not a classic. Yet this ONLY hammers home the fact that Regulate is a classic in it's own right. It's like a rapper, once you put Kendrick's name next to Jay-Z, Kendrick wins. Even though many think Kendrick is better than Jay, Jay is considered better. So just putting Kendrick in that conversation means Kendrick wins.

Same with albums, once you list actual classic albums to compare to Regulate.. you win. In order to downplay Regulate... you'd have to say something crazy, like Paper Trail or Carter III is better producted than Regulate... I already said Quik is a better producer than Warren, so you'd have to go on that list and get someone NOT Quik to say produced a whole better album than Regulate...

bouli77

« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2013, 05:29:56 PM »
i dont want to take away from the impact it had on the culture at the time because that was a huge album but that shit did NOT age well.

definitely didn't age well.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2013, 05:42:57 PM »
Daz: LEGENDARY

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sm58sXIYuZc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sm58sXIYuZc?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

DJ Quik: DOPE

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/i2Ri6fp8Q10?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/i2Ri6fp8Q10?hl=en_US&amp;amp;version=3</a>

Case Closed.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 05:44:37 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2013, 12:29:05 AM »
lmao

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #126 on: August 20, 2013, 01:03:46 AM »
id put pharcydes first album before regulate

I rate them the same actually.

I loved that track they did on Heavy Rhyme Experience since it came out ahead of the album, but they ain't got enough in em to fill a CD. Most of its just goofball stuff, just kidz in a studio. Production is gorgeous tho.

The albums both follow the format of all the main work put into the singles (a mainstream thing). Not knocking Warren for that btw Nik

i dont know man to hear it withen the context it was created (and im not saying you guys didnt) i had this shit in 92 before anyone really even knew they were westcoast passing me by was a HUGE FUCKING RECORD and when i listented to that album as a kid it didnt come off so much as kids in a studio it reminded me of early works of the greats of jazz. alot of the songs had interludes and piano outros etc. e swift was on the best drugs his budget could afford...that album was so dope talking about it is giving me maaaaad chiiiiills son.

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #127 on: August 20, 2013, 02:08:34 AM »
7 out of ten would be a VERY generous rating if were ranking it amongst all hip hop if were only talking westcoast id say seven is about appropriate.

Thank you.

Typical West Coast headz™ ain't taking lyricism and song writing into account. Only the production sound and delivery.

Fuck that... beatheoven and Mozart didn't have any lyrics in their music.. and they are considered the all-time greats.  I can't imagine someone sitting back bumping Warren G's shit and being like, "ohhh that last rhyme wasn't complex enough, I decided I don't like this"

LMFAO

you just compared two real composers to a guy who got famous for taking long loops and making one great song ( and the biggest reason it´s dope is because of Nate Dogg ) . 

if you´re not trolling you´re a waste of air . well, you are anyway .  if you´re trying to act smart at least learn to spell Beethoven right, royt mate

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #128 on: August 20, 2013, 09:23:15 AM »

LMFAO

you just compared two real composers to a guy who got famous for taking long loops and making one great song ( and the biggest reason it´s dope is because of Nate Dogg ) .  

if you´re not trolling you´re a waste of air . well, you are anyway .  if you´re trying to act smart at least learn to spell Beethoven right, royt mate

Warren G >  Beethoven

(...did I spell it right last time)
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

Will_B

« Reply #129 on: August 20, 2013, 11:18:12 AM »
id put pharcydes first album before regulate

I rate them the same actually.

I loved that track they did on Heavy Rhyme Experience since it came out ahead of the album, but they ain't got enough in em to fill a CD. Most of its just goofball stuff, just kidz in a studio. Production is gorgeous tho.

The albums both follow the format of all the main work put into the singles (a mainstream thing). Not knocking Warren for that btw Nik

i dont know man to hear it withen the context it was created (and im not saying you guys didnt) i had this shit in 92 before anyone really even knew they were westcoast passing me by was a HUGE FUCKING RECORD and when i listented to that album as a kid it didnt come off so much as kids in a studio it reminded me of early works of the greats of jazz. alot of the songs had interludes and piano outros etc. e swift was on the best drugs his budget could afford...that album was so dope talking about it is giving me maaaaad chiiiiills son.

I'm not saying its not a very good album, and the singles are standout, great tracks. Just overall its not more than a 7 to me.

bouli77

« Reply #130 on: August 20, 2013, 11:31:55 AM »

LMFAO

if you´re not trolling you´re a waste of air . well, you are anyway .  if you´re trying to act smart at least learn to spell Beethoven right, royt mate

Warren G >  Beethoven

bad trolling

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #131 on: August 20, 2013, 11:33:49 AM »

LMFAO

Warren G >  Beethoven

bad trolling

yeah I forgot.. you grew up bumping Beethoven and have posters of him all of your walls.  Or is it you just heard someone else say he's great so you say he's great?

bouli77

« Reply #132 on: August 20, 2013, 11:42:17 AM »

LMFAO

Warren G >  Beethoven

bad trolling

yeah I forgot.. you grew up bumping Beethoven and have posters of him all of your walls.  Or is it you just heard someone else say he's great so you say he's great?

i fuck with all type of music including classical music. i was listening to beethoven before i was listening to the g-child but that's not the point. that's just common sense. that's like comparing a political cartoonist to Auguste Rodin. Warren G isn't a real musician to begin with, dude barely plays the keyboard and fucks with the drum machine, he's an accomplished producer and is good at what he does but he's nowhere near the level of a full-fledged musician and composer like Beethoven. keep trolling though

Sccit

« Reply #133 on: August 20, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »
7 out of ten would be a VERY generous rating if were ranking it amongst all hip hop if were only talking westcoast id say seven is about appropriate.

Thank you.

Typical West Coast headz™ ain't taking lyricism and song writing into account. Only the production sound and delivery.

are u retarded? who the fuck wants a lyrical album from warren g? lmfao

or maybe u were looking for introspective songs written out about the devastation of cancer?

some of yall are mind-boggling. "regulate" is a classic and some of u (i guess cuz u aint from cali) dont understand the significance of that album...foreal, though, lyricism? lmfao. did u buy a wu-tang record and get upset because there wasn't enough g-funk? that level of thinkin is really somethin else.

Sccit

« Reply #134 on: August 20, 2013, 12:00:04 PM »
i dont want to take away from the impact it had on the culture at the time because that was a huge album but that shit did NOT age well.

it hasnt aged well? maybe not for u...try cruisin down the sunny streets of cali, passin up palm tree after palm tree wit a blunt in your hand while bumpin it and tell me if it aged well. u dont wanna take away from the impact? but rating it 7/10 or 3.5/5 is doin just that. u know better than that, p.