7 (7.6%)
Soopafly
2 (2.2%)
DJ Pooh
7 (7.6%)
Johnny J
5 (5.4%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)  (Read 9314 times)

Sccit

Re: Second best producer in west coast history? (behind Dre of course)
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2013, 12:07:21 PM »
id put pharcydes first album before regulate

I rate them the same actually.

I loved that track they did on Heavy Rhyme Experience since it came out ahead of the album, but they ain't got enough in em to fill a CD. Most of its just goofball stuff, just kidz in a studio. Production is gorgeous tho.

The albums both follow the format of all the main work put into the singles (a mainstream thing). Not knocking Warren for that btw Nik

i dont know man to hear it withen the context it was created (and im not saying you guys didnt) i had this shit in 92 before anyone really even knew they were westcoast passing me by was a HUGE FUCKING RECORD and when i listented to that album as a kid it didnt come off so much as kids in a studio it reminded me of early works of the greats of jazz. alot of the songs had interludes and piano outros etc. e swift was on the best drugs his budget could afford...that album was so dope talking about it is giving me maaaaad chiiiiills son.

I'm not saying its not a very good album, and the singles are standout, great tracks. Just overall its not more than a 7 to me.

lol so according to will, "good kid maad city" is better than "reasonable doubt", "regulate", and now "bizarre ride"....smmfh :stupid:

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2013, 01:38:46 PM »
good kid is not a classic yet but in about five years from now it will be in the conversation. for petes sake ;) theyre still putting out singles from it.

lets see how it resonates against the rest of his body of work in a few years.

no homo

Will_B

« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2013, 02:32:30 PM »
id put pharcydes first album before regulate

I rate them the same actually.

I loved that track they did on Heavy Rhyme Experience since it came out ahead of the album, but they ain't got enough in em to fill a CD. Most of its just goofball stuff, just kidz in a studio. Production is gorgeous tho.

The albums both follow the format of all the main work put into the singles (a mainstream thing). Not knocking Warren for that btw Nik

i dont know man to hear it withen the context it was created (and im not saying you guys didnt) i had this shit in 92 before anyone really even knew they were westcoast passing me by was a HUGE FUCKING RECORD and when i listented to that album as a kid it didnt come off so much as kids in a studio it reminded me of early works of the greats of jazz. alot of the songs had interludes and piano outros etc. e swift was on the best drugs his budget could afford...that album was so dope talking about it is giving me maaaaad chiiiiills son.

I'm not saying its not a very good album, and the singles are standout, great tracks. Just overall its not more than a 7 to me.

lol so according to will, "good kid maad city" is better than "reasonable doubt", "regulate", and now "bizarre ride"....smmfh :stupid:

:banana_llama:

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2013, 08:44:52 PM »
7 out of ten would be a VERY generous rating if were ranking it amongst all hip hop if were only talking westcoast id say seven is about appropriate.

Thank you.

Typical West Coast headz™ ain't taking lyricism and song writing into account. Only the production sound and delivery.

are u retarded? who the fuck wants a lyrical album from warren g? lmfao

or maybe u were looking for introspective songs written out about the devastation of cancer?

some of yall are mind-boggling. "regulate" is a classic and some of u (i guess cuz u aint from cali) dont understand the significance of that album...foreal, though, lyricism? lmfao. did u buy a wu-tang record and get upset because there wasn't enough g-funk? that level of thinkin is really somethin else.

lyricism was mr grimms job if he would have been the snoop to warrens dre regulate could have been timeless.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
That was Warren G's idea, which he even mentioned on Regulate... Personally, I liked Snoop over Warren's beats, it just fit so well, like they came up together or something like that.

Sccit

« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2013, 09:05:28 PM »
7 out of ten would be a VERY generous rating if were ranking it amongst all hip hop if were only talking westcoast id say seven is about appropriate.

Thank you.

Typical West Coast headz™ ain't taking lyricism and song writing into account. Only the production sound and delivery.

are u retarded? who the fuck wants a lyrical album from warren g? lmfao

or maybe u were looking for introspective songs written out about the devastation of cancer?

some of yall are mind-boggling. "regulate" is a classic and some of u (i guess cuz u aint from cali) dont understand the significance of that album...foreal, though, lyricism? lmfao. did u buy a wu-tang record and get upset because there wasn't enough g-funk? that level of thinkin is really somethin else.

lyricism was mr grimms job if he would have been the snoop to warrens dre regulate could have been timeless.

like i said, the album doesn't need lyricism...it aint about that. maybe if ur bumpin it in detroit, u might be gettin a different feel for it. but the album is perfect the way it is when u just tryna ride out to smooth, basic raps with harmonic melodies and simple lyrics structured around classic g-funk productions.

do u listen to a too short album for political messages? do u listen to gangstarr and get mad when the album lacks harmonizing?? or what happened to the dj samples and scratches on that do or die record?? lol.. everything serves its purpose...regulate wouldnt be as good if it were a lyrical piece of work as opposed to a simple album with smooth flows revolving around funky productions.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #141 on: August 20, 2013, 11:00:44 PM »
quintessential westcoast album for sure, had a huge impact on culture but im being serious here in the grand scheme of things that album will not be spoken of 25 years from now as "essential listening"

it will be looked at as a sub genre like acid jazz or some shit.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #142 on: August 20, 2013, 11:03:29 PM »
...maybe even cheesy like disco thanks to the euros and the sterotyping of the culture (cliche shit like low riders, gang shit, homie gear etc)

Sccit

« Reply #143 on: August 20, 2013, 11:08:00 PM »
quintessential westcoast album for sure, had a huge impact on culture but im being serious here in the grand scheme of things that album will not be spoken of 25 years from now as "essential listening"

maybe u wont be speakin of it 25 years from now, but for rap heads in cali or anyone into the cali rap scene in general, it will forever be an essential...and considering g-funk was the height of the west coast in its prime, i highly doubt people will look at it like acid jazz lol. its the peak sound of an entire coast mayn

but like i said, it might be different to you, bein from detroit and all. it probably doesnt sound as good when u aint exactly in the environment it was created for.

Will_B

« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
i dont want to take away from the impact it had on the culture at the time because that was a huge album but that shit did NOT age well.

it hasnt aged well? maybe not for u...try cruisin down the sunny streets of cali, passin up palm tree after palm tree wit a blunt in your hand while bumpin it and tell me if it aged well.

Damn all this Cali talk give a Euro the weirdest boner.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:21 PM »

Wait a minute. It's been 20 years! How much longer do you have to wait before you admit that the album is a westcoast classic and helped shaped the culture and had a lasting impact? (damn run on sentences!) What more needs to be done? Kendrick Lamar to say this was the album that made him want to be a rapper? Kids singing Regulate in school choirs?

Sccit

« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2013, 12:12:35 PM »
It needed 12 tracks like "Regulate"... Too many throwaways like "this dj" and "do you see"

Will_B

« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2013, 12:24:28 PM »
It needed 12 tracks like "Regulate"... Too many throwaways like "this dj" and "do you see"

At least he saved some classics for the next album..

"1, 2 buckle my shoe" :rock:

Sccit

« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
... 7, 8 warren g and Nate 8)

Another classic

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2013, 12:57:40 PM »

i fuck with all type of music including classical music. i was listening to beethoven before i was listening to the g-child but that's not the point. that's just common sense. that's like comparing a political cartoonist to Auguste Rodin. Warren G isn't a real musician to begin with, dude barely plays the keyboard and fucks with the drum machine, he's an accomplished producer and is good at what he does but he's nowhere near the level of a full-fledged musician and composer like Beethoven. keep trolling though

lol@you bumping Beethoven.  Do you think by saying that it gives you some facade of sophistication.   Because it doesn't.   And.. I would bet my life on the fact that you have bumped Warren G's art 99% more than you have ever listened to Beethoven, yet you say Beethoven is greater beyond comparison because you are a sheep (follower) like most people in this world.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)