Author Topic: Why All The Hype Over Kendrick´s Verse?  (Read 1752 times)

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Why All The Hype Over Kendrick´s Verse?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 09:40:31 AM »
It's because most new hip-hop fans, that are teenagers, have never heard a rapper
really diss anyone else before on a mainstream level, so it's this big, new, amazing thing
to a lot of today's audience.

If you work out the numbers...
if you're a 16 year old hip-hop fan right now, who was born in 1997:

--You would have been 8 years old when Game and 50 were beefing.
And that was the last really big major mainstream beef I can think of...

--You would have been 4 years old when Nas ethered Jay-Z.

--You would have been a 1 year old when Canibus dissed LL.

--You would have been born a year AFTER 2Pac dissed Biggie.

--When Dre and Eazy were making diss records, you would not be born until 5 years later.

So kids into Kendrick and all these new guys are like, "whoooa, someone DISSED
someone, that's insane!!"

To everyone else though, especially any older hip-hop fans, it seems like the tamest thing ever.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 09:43:39 AM by UCC »

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
It's because most new hip-hop fans, that are teenagers, have never heard a rapper
really diss anyone else before on a mainstream level, so it's this big, new, amazing thing

--When Dre and Eazy were making diss records, you would not be born until 5 years later.

To everyone else though, especially any older hip-hop fans, it seems like the tamest thing ever.

That's a damn good point. I was 16 in 1996/97. So to me when 2Pac dissed Biggie, that was HUGE. Yeah I was 12/13 in 1993 when Dre and Eazy were going at each other, and that was the greatest ever at the time. It made me go to my cousins and copy all his NWA and Eazy E tapes. But I think when 'Pac's and Biggie's beef not only hit LA, but spread to NY that was even bigger. Eazy and Dre was regional and it made you chose, but 'Pac/Biggie gave everyone a common enemy. I even remember when 300 Bars played on Wild 96 in the IE the day after the internet leak dropped, and everyone in San Bernardino right away went into Fuck NY/Fuck G-Unit mode without even thinking. It's like these things unify people right away. Right now Kendrick just unified all of New York to be like "yo B, you cool but you ain't from New York." That's the shit that's been missing. This is tame compared to past beefs, but it shakes up the game and gets people in the booth.

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2013, 10:01:05 AM »
That's the shit that's been missing. This is tame compared to past beefs, but it shakes up the game and gets people in the booth.

Yeah, that's true, and focusing on being lyrical and clever with it,
rather than just trying to make a hit or a club record...

What's sad though is I see so many comments (on other sites) where new fans don't
understand the battle element of hip-hop...

I see kids saying that the people dissing Kendrick are "haters" and citing record sales
and "relevancy" and all this other stuff instead of just seeing it as good competition...

It's like many new hip-hop fans don't even know what battle rapping is!

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »
That's the shit that's been missing. This is tame compared to past beefs, but it shakes up the game and gets people in the booth.

Yeah, that's true, and focusing on being lyrical and clever with it,
rather than just trying to make a hit or a club record...

What's sad though is I see so many comments (on other sites) where new fans don't
understand the battle element of hip-hop...

I see kids saying that the people dissing Kendrick are "haters" and citing record sales
and "relevancy" and all this other stuff instead of just seeing it as good competition...

It's like many new hip-hop fans don't even know what battle rapping is!

These kids were brought up during the Bling Era, where when someone dissed Jay, he never said shit and just said he's platinum and the other haters aren't. So these kids see Jay as the greatest of all time, so that's the example they are going with. They don't remember Nas crushing Jay and taking the crown. Those with the money make the rules and Jay reshaped the rules so people forget he hasn't been King of New York for at least 10 years.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 02:52:44 PM »
I agree it is good but a little overhyped...I don't think it really compares to Kurupts battle verses in the mid 90's...

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 03:00:48 PM »
But it's like the night Kobe scored 61 at the Garden. It don't matter it's over hype. When you call out New York, they take it personal. New York has an attitude that it don't mean shit unless it happens in New York. Like when players are stars, New Yorkers will say, "they ain't done shit at the Garden. Well this is Kendrick Lamar going to Madison Square Garden, scoring 61 points and then saying, I'm the King of this place. UCLA in the 90's beat all 3 big Texas teams (at the time) in one year, Texas, A&M and Houston. At the end of the season UCLA had UCLA, Texas station champion shirts. That's what this was.

Sccit

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 04:01:35 PM »
But it's like the night Kobe scored 61 at the Garden. It don't matter it's over hype. When you call out New York, they take it personal. New York has an attitude that it don't mean shit unless it happens in New York. Like when players are stars, New Yorkers will say, "they ain't done shit at the Garden. Well this is Kendrick Lamar going to Madison Square Garden, scoring 61 points and then saying, I'm the King of this place. UCLA in the 90's beat all 3 big Texas teams (at the time) in one year, Texas, A&M and Houston. At the end of the season UCLA had UCLA, Texas station champion shirts. That's what this was.

leave it to mdogg to call something kobe/laker related "overhyped" lol

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 05:00:42 PM »

leave it to mdogg to call something kobe/laker related "overhyped" lol

Kobe scoring 61 isn't overhyped and Kendrick dissing all of New York isn't overhyped either. Leave it to Scittles to think Kobe is overhyped... LOL

Sccit

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 08:27:25 PM »
Leave it to Scittles to think Kobe is overhyped... LOL

u suck at dissing

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
if u go back n listen to what Kendrick is saying in the uoeno remix with the black hippys

U will see he gave everybody a warning he was going in on everg song from here on out

It went over a lot of folks head..

Go relisten

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 09:43:02 PM »
if u go back n listen to what Kendrick is saying in the uoeno remix with the black hippys

U will see he gave everybody a warning he was going in on everg song from here on out

It went over a lot of folks head..

Go relisten

who cares?  he's still not the king of anywhere.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 10:14:16 PM »

u suck at dissing

Except keystyling.

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2013, 10:34:51 PM »

u suck at dissing

Except keystyling.

yet i bet u every time we faced off 8)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2013, 10:37:44 PM »
I think I got a win. I know I had the lead one time, and then a ton of your friends voted last minute. That might have been my best diss to you. For some reason every time we battled officially (I think like 3 times) I couldn't do a better verse than usually the warm up verse I had done to get the battle going (see Scitt Killaz 1-3) and when we battled you always dissed my sister, who everyone hated at the time so they voted for you. It was very frustrating to say the least.

Edited: now that I remember, that battle set up a new rule on the keystyle board. LOL I remember the people battling could set up ahead of time who CAN'T voted on the battle... LOL... that rule was in effect for like 2-3 month because of that battle. It was funny. Well I did beat a dude named Immortal in a loser deletes his account battle, and I'd easily say Immortal was better than me on most post. So weird things do happen.

Then I also remember the HUGE problem with biting, not by you but by others. It was some serious shit.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 10:46:48 PM by M Dogg™ »

123imagee

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2013, 11:10:23 PM »

best post in this thread.i didnt see anything shocking that could cause so much hype and wworth mentioning