Author Topic: Why is Andre3000 often mentioned as one of the best..  (Read 798 times)

THETRUTHUG

• Muthafuckin' OG
Why is Andre3000 often mentioned as one of the best..
« on: August 17, 2013, 04:40:00 AM »
When most rappers talk about the best rappers in the game or who infuelcend them, they often mention andre3000,

the list goes, eminem, biggie, nas, 2pac, rakim, andere3000

what is it about andre3000? is it his solo work? or the outkast albums? or his guest features..

can u name some of his 16 bars? the most incrediable? so i can understand which album, mixtape, solo album made him a legend..

Will_B

Re: Why is Andre3000 often mentioned as one of the best..
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 06:21:57 AM »
I think it's his consistency since day one, the fact that the first few Outkast albums are generally considered classics. That he's not been afraid to experiment with unconventional sounds but never gone 'full retard', never lost his skills as an MC..

and to me personally his ability as a writer seems to be shaper than ever these days. Dudes a vet with a 'flawless' career in the game. And continues to surprise and evolve.

Heinz

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 07:42:21 AM »
Last verse:

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 10:51:43 AM »
hes 1 of those guys its cool to name drop.  like jay z before he dropped his latest turd LP.  honestly andre 3000 gets credit because he isnt afraid to step out of the "trap/bitches/weed/clothes" mantra that 93% of these rappers cant stay away from - i just dont think his experimenting is all that cohesive or clever half of the time.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 10:54:42 AM »
When most rappers talk about the best rappers in the game or who infuelcend them, they often mention andre3000,

the list goes, eminem, biggie, nas, 2pac, rakim, andere3000

what is it about andre3000? is it his solo work? or the outkast albums? or his guest features..

can u name some of his 16 bars? the most incrediable? so i can understand which album, mixtape, solo album made him a legend..

He certainly deserves to be mentioned with the all-time greats.  It's a shame he never put out a solo album, but certainly his work with Outkast is what has made him a legend.  Here's a brief look to at some of the joints that really stood out to me (but really it's his consistency but for the purpose of the thread I'll just mention a few of his best moments)

In 94' I actually thought these dudes were like gangsta rappers like the Death Row shit I was a fan of at the time.  So I bought there first album and loved it.  Here's a more hardcore cut from the first record, his first verse is hard, intelligent, conscious, and flows all at the same time (similar to the qualities that made Nas great)

"Call of the Wild"  (you can see how at face value it could be taken as a gangsta record, me being a kid at the time, but it's really some coming of age, conscious words he's kicking, about life hanging in the balance)

As if the first album wasn't already dope enough, then Andre really took shit to a whole nother level with the next album, ATLiens.  It came out during the middle of the East/West War when Gangsta Rap was the bomb buzz... but I think it was around this time or shortly after that he started fucking with Erykah Badu, and you know (unless you are a G like DOC) that shit can make a nicca lose they mind... well Andre started to get off on a real conscious, "positive" vibe at this time, which for most rappers would of came off soft, but he pulled it off "flawlessly".   Check out these very inspiring cuts/verses from Andre in these songs from ATLliens and you will see what I mean...

"ATLiens"  (you can also see his vision in this music video that he was on some other shit that rappers weren't on)

"The future of the world depends
on if or if not our child will be born with the nigga syndrome/
will he beat the odds regardless of his skin tone....
...softly as if I played piano in the dark
found a way to channel my anger not to embark
the worlds a stage and everybody's got to play their part
God works in mysterious ways
so when he starts, to speak through us
we be so sincere with this here
no drugs or alcohol so I can get the signal clear-as day
put the glock away I got a stronger weapon that never runs out of amunition
SO I"M READY FOR WAR, OKAY!"

"Babylon"  (I tripped out the first time I heard Andre's verse (second verse) on this joint.  Nicca is actually talking about jerking off in gym class and shit, but it's a coming of age track, shit is dope)

Then to show his range, like Hienz pointed out he also had some classic guest appearances.  If your not already an Andre fan, this shit you can't deny right here.  This is hard as fuck, but yet thoughtful and conscious at the same time.  This joint blazed the whole summer of 98'

Goodie Mob - "Black Ice"  (Andre comes in after Goodie Mob and Big Boi and just totally blows away everything else that niccaz was doing in rap at the time)

text of verse:

"Friends, Romans, countrymen lend me yo' eardrums
It was a beautiful day off in the neighborhood
Yellows and greens and blues and browns
And greys and hues that ooze beneath dilapidated woods
Ain't a thing could explain what pertains
To cocaine it's a stain that rain
See summer roll around niggas holla bout change
Then they steady move them ki's like Bob James
Cause old man winter's arrived, the temperature dives
November just died, December's alive
Thus it ain't no typical ride
Just individual's way to bring home
The bacon when bacon was all gone
Makin it our own, takin me all wrong
We've all indulged in the bulge of those no-no's
No you ain't solo, it's even lower levels you can go
Take sun people, put 'em in a land of snow"

....I'll stop there, because I don't have time to get into Aquemini and Stankonia but if I have time later I'll post some from there

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:12:47 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:06:04 AM »
hes 1 of those guys its cool to name drop.  like jay z before he dropped his latest turd LP.  honestly andre 3000 gets credit because he isnt afraid to step out of the "trap/bitches/weed/clothes" mantra that 93% of these rappers cant stay away from - i just dont think his experimenting is all that cohesive or clever half of the time.

no.. he's legit.  That's really is a disjustice to say it is because "he's cool to namedrop".   I think for Jay-Z they have to say Jay's name because of some stupid industry connection or to fit into some club or something... but with Andre it's legit. 

Sccit

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 11:07:20 AM »
cuz he's a legend

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 06:00:10 PM »
Because he is...
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:29:03 PM »
When 16 ain't enough

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

no.. he's legit.  That's really is a disjustice to say it is because "he's cool to namedrop".   I think for Jay-Z they have to say Jay's name because of some stupid industry connection or to fit into some club or something... but with Andre it's legit. 

meh.  he gets credit where it aint due.  that wannabe prince shit on the love below was HIGHLY overrated at the time and still today.  i mean, its out of the box which is cool, but its just not that good imo.  it comes off as sloppy and disorganized.  different just to be different, without a real direction.  and that album inflated dude's rep by a million. 

i still think he's cool tho, im not saying hes trash by any means.  just one of those guys that its cool to say hes great.
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:45:18 PM »
He's a much better rapper than he is a singer

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

mastdark81

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2013, 08:44:42 AM »
Andre3000 definitely isn't bad by any means...and I was going to actually call him overrated before I had a chance to think about it.  Now that I have,   I think what you have is southern fans being nostalgic to him similar to NY on Nas/Rakim, Twista to the midwest, and Kurupt to the West cause he represented more of a mature content of lyrics at the same time flirting with being what was "hip".  Even if his best lyrics are now far in between.  

Its like with this Kendrick Lamar "Control" verse...the rap game is so watered down now that when you hear decent lyrics its a breath of fresh air...I think that's what Andre3000 gave to the South as far as lyricism.  

So I think Andre3000 kinda have a cult of fans and always will because he always represented something different than the flash of the South.  When pop type artists mention him they more mention him out of respect because he's known by their older brothers, cousins who praised him.

I kinda lump him in with Common tho but to a higher regard because he has funky music behind his deep lyrics compared to the more NeoSoul type flavor Common brings to the table.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 09:04:14 AM by mastdark81 »

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »
Andre3000 definitely isn't bad by any means...and I was going to actually call him overrated before I had a chance to think about it.  Now that I have,   I think what you have is southern fans being nostalgic to him similar to NY on Nas/Rakim, Twista to the midwest, and Kurupt to the West cause he represented more of a mature content of lyrics at the same time flirting with being what was "hip".  Even if his best lyrics are now far in between.  

Its like with this Kendrick Lamar "Control" verse...the rap game is so watered down now that when you hear decent lyrics its a breath of fresh air...I think that's what Andre3000 gave to the South as far as lyricism.  

So I think Andre3000 kinda have a cult of fans and always will because he always represented something different than the flash of the South.  When pop type artists mention him they more mention him out of respect because he's known by their older brothers, cousins who praised him.

I kinda lump him in with Common tho but to a higher regard because he has funky music behind his deep lyrics compared to the more NeoSoul type flavor Common brings to the table.

I think your looking at it too deeply.  It's not that complex and it has nothing to do with coast/region.  Andre3000 is dope and he had a 10 year run with Outkast where they were dropping platinum album after platinum album and all of his shit was fire!!   There's no secret to it, Andre is dope and one of the illest to ever touch a mic.