Author Topic: Investing time and money into something that may or may not happen, thoughts?  (Read 1208 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
People always want to feel like they get what they strive for, or get what they deserve in life.  The trouble is that often you have to strive for something, and you don't know in advance if you will get what you invested for.

I'm currently dealing with a risk, reward type of situation this summer that may or may not work out in my favor.  It's kind of stressful at the moment... just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on what it's like to invest towards something that may or may not happen.
My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

what i'm gonna say is gonna sound like some "easier said than done" type of preachings but this is how I feel

as the saying goes "the journey is the destination", if you get into something, risky or not, rewarding or not, you should look at the process, if it makes you feel miserable, then it's a chance you're taking, and if it doesn't succeed you'll have a gang of shitty memories, and the feeling that you have lost a great amount of time and energy, even if the thought that you have gotten better can be solacing. if the challenge is somewhat exciting and you like what you're doing, at least you'll have nice memories and you'll have enjoyed these moments once it's done, regardless of the outcome.

heyyou

My personality is that i hate risk, so i invest to hedge against it - that's why i've been investing in gold & silver as the risk of losing cash in the banks is higher from my research.

I'd agree with bouli77, that part of it is the journey/process & being true to yourself & beliefs/principles.

If you've done some deep research taking in all the advice (good, bad, pros & cons), and go with your gut feeling and be prepared not to be ruled by your ego you can't go too wrong. Sometimes you go to look at the figures and know when to cut your losses and when to stick in for the long haul.

Spending so far as half of my savings on gold/silver was a big deal to me, a massive paradigm-shift, but that was only after doing lots and lots of research in different topics (economics, politics, history, law, the conspiracy/truth movement etc) and that knowledge is also liberating and a return on that investment of time in it's own right!
I've learned so much from it!!!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:59:20 AM by heyyou »

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
My personality is that i hate risk, so i invest to hedge against it - that's why i've been investing in gold & silver as the risk of losing cash in the banks is higher from my research.

I'd agree with bouli77, that part of it is the journey/process & being true to yourself & beliefs/principles.

If you've done some deep research taking in all the advice (good, bad, pros & cons), and go with your gut feeling and be prepared not to be ruled by your ego you can't go too wrong. Sometimes you go to look at the figures and know when to cut your losses and when to stick in for the long haul.

Spending so far as half of my savings on gold/silver was a big deal to me, a massive paradigm-shift, but that was only after doing lots and lots of research in different topics (economics, politics, history, law, the conspiracy/truth movement etc) and that knowledge is also liberating and a return on that investment of time in it's own right!

From what I heard, gold and silver may have been riding high around 08 or 09, but those markets are down now.

And what you are talking about is more along the lines of investing.  That certainly deals with money but there is not as much of a time factor (I know time is money, but you know what I mean).   Something like that I think is much easier.

It's harder when you put time and effort into something that may or may not happen.  Just to throw some money down on something isn't that bad..

My First Officially Schedule Rap Battle on Stage as an undercard to the undercard match

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
what i'm gonna say is gonna sound like some "easier said than done" type of preachings but this is how I feel

as the saying goes "the journey is the destination", if you get into something, risky or not, rewarding or not, you should look at the process, if it makes you feel miserable, then it's a chance you're taking, and if it doesn't succeed you'll have a gang of shitty memories, and the feeling that you have lost a great amount of time and energy, even if the thought that you have gotten better can be solacing. if the challenge is somewhat exciting and you like what you're doing, at least you'll have nice memories and you'll have enjoyed these moments once it's done, regardless of the outcome.

I see your point.  Like in the case of relationships, a lot of women take the all or nothing approach.  If the relationship doesn't last forever they are always bitter about it.  I try to make sure I'm getting something out of it, so that when it comes to an end I might have some memories I can forever look back on...

...but the case I am talking about now is strictly dealing with a work situation.  The positive memory factor is very low.  My life is pretty much the same either way.  It's just a matter of either I wasted my time and money on it, or it works out and I get rewarded for all my time and money invested.  But the actual experience of it is mostly neutral.    
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 10:52:17 AM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »

heyyou

From what I heard, gold and silver may have been riding high around 08 or 09, but those markets are down now.

And what you are talking about is more along the lines of investing.  That certainly deals with money but there is not as much of a time factor (I know time is money, but you know what I mean).   Something like that I think is much easier.

It's harder when you put time and effort into something that may or may not happen.  Just to throw some money down on something isn't that bad..

Yes gold and silver are down from 2011, but that's down to a number of reasons plus the market has been manipulated to push the price down. They can do that for so long though.

Also putting some money down is a big deal, and in some respects the same as putting time and effort into a project. Money is a store of your time and Labour/energy done in the past, so you can exchange it for goods and services in the future.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:27:04 PM by heyyou »

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!

Yes gold and silver are down from 2011, but that's down to a number of reasons plus the market has been manipulated to overpriced down. They can do that for so long though.

Yes.. they artificially reduce the value of gold and silver and eventually it trends back to it's inherent value.  I'm not an investor but I'm assuming that they artificially enhance the value of the money supply and somehow reduce the value of gold and silver, but perception is often reality.. so in that case, even though you are technically "right" to invest in gold and silver you could still end up losing because it's not a fair game.

Also put put some money down is a big deal, and in some respects the same as putting time and effort into a project. Money is a store of your time and Labour/energy done in the past, so you can exchange it for goods and services in the future.

Agreed, that's why I put in parenthesis (time IS money).  

But when we are talking about stress situations, most often we are affected by what is visible and not savings of money (time) that occurred years ago.  An obvious example would be if I give a 10 year old kid in Haiti a popsickle he will be happy.  He's not going to say... "Well, although I like this popsickle, looking at my situation from a worldly and historical perspective, I must say that my lot in life is not good, and across the ocean the kids are getting gifts of bicycles, video games, and college funds.  So therefore, I will stay stressed out and not enjoy this popsickle".
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 01:21:17 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »

heyyou

Maybe, but you or others shouldn't base happiness or success on comparing to other people. Everyone has a different situation and set of circumstances. All you can do is try to do is be in a better position afterwards and progress.
The kid with the popsicle should be happy based on his personal circumstances, as he is better off. There's always people who are going to be better or worse off, but all you can do is try to control your own destiny as much as you can.

• Shot Caller
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
Maybe, but you or others shouldn't base happiness or success on comparing to other people. Everyone has a different situation and set of circumstances. All you can do is try to do is be in a better position afterwards and progress.
The kid with the popsicle should be happy based on his personal circumstances, as he is better off. There's always people who are going to be better or worse off, but all you can do is try to control your own destiny as much as you can.

I wasn't comparing myself to other people.  As an individual, not comparing yourself to anyone.  It is hard to look at 100 dollars and see the time that went into that 100 dollars.  It is there, the production is there somewhere, but it can often be hard to see.  So for that reason, I was saying it's harder to invest time in a project then just to simply throw money at something; even though both are equal to each other.  Psychologically they are different. 

^^has nothing to do with comparing yourself to other people.   

MUHFUKKA

yall broke wiggas disgust me

The blood gang embraces Tupac as a member even if YOU dont.

J. B A N A N A S

Taking risks separates the men from the baby nut fuckboys.

Go for it Brian, I want to see you mature in to a real man and I believe every guy can do so. I'll be your coach along the way. 

Rick Venom

• 'G'
  • WuTz GoOd NiGgA?
infinite for mod. niggas dun did more for tot than old man marty did all this time.
show me where did i said i live in Poland
want me to show u? ok.....

ICHI, WHAT COUNTRY U FROM?
im from Poland
LOL!

J. B A N A N A S

infinite for mod. niggas dun did more for tot than old man marty did all this time.

Word, if it weren't for him stating his adolescent views of the world with conviction, there wouldn't be an avenue for the rest of us to step in and discuss the right way to do things.