Author Topic: What is Kurupts best work on the mic?  (Read 2803 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: What is Kurupts best work on the mic?
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 05:30:01 PM »

that's how you post posers and eastcoast elitists who will frown on you when you say Kurupt's a lyricist, they'll always refer to his verse on Xplosive cause that's about the only verse they know about him, but when you confront them and play New York New York, Smooth, or Doggy Dogg World they literally can't believe their ears.

I thought his verse in "Xxxplosive" was terrible.  I liked the Hittman intro, Nate Dogg does his thing on it, and the beat is unfadeable.. but Kurupt and 6'2" kind of ruined the track for me.  I had the version with Dre and Royce da 5'9" almost a year before the Chronic was released (ya'll remember Dreday.com?) and I still prefer that version.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 05:54:40 PM by Infinite African Westcoastin 2012 and 13' »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

bouli77

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 05:44:25 PM »
yeah I agree with you, that's the Kurupt I can't stand, rhyming bitch with bitch. and most rap fans for some reason remember him almost exclusively for that verse (and the cameo in the next episode video), that's why when you tell Kurupt's a great lyricist, most peeps who don't know better will laugh at you.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 05:53:52 PM »
yeah I agree with you, that's the Kurupt I can't stand, rhyming bitch with bitch. and most rap fans for some reason remember him almost exclusively for that verse (and the cameo in the next episode video), that's why when you tell Kurupt's a great lyricist, most peeps who don't know better will laugh at you.

exactly.   

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Sccit

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 06:35:57 PM »
i dont give a fuck if it aint lyrical, i still fux wit kurupt on his "fuck a bitch" shit...as long as it's produced well ala "xxplosive". now, is it kurupt at his best? hell naah...but shit's still bumpable and he has a way of gettin u into that "fuck a bitch" mode just by the conviction in his voice. "eat a bowl a shit bitch" - like yall aint never felt like that?

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 06:44:42 PM »
i dont give a fuck if it aint lyrical, i still fux wit kurupt on his "fuck a bitch" shit...as long as it's produced well ala "xxplosive". now, is it kurupt at his best? hell naah...but shit's still bumpable and he has a way of gettin u into that "fuck a bitch" mode just by the conviction in his voice. "eat a bowl a shit bitch" - like yall aint never felt like that?

DUBCC cats can't understand my morbid biology
i bring new meaning to the studies of gynocology
when i shove favors up your cunt you'll see
all faggots who diss me wind up with fuckin VD
when i was in my moms cunt my father slaughtered me
i came back from the dead after my moms aborted me....
bloody fetus baby of satan, devils child
leaving bodies on all types of motherfucking levels piled

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 08:12:07 PM »
The Death Row shit was obviously the best, by far.  Most of Tha Streetz Iz a Mutha was good, and some of the tracks that were pretty much all freestyled in the booth (Trylogy, Live on the Mic) were also pretty solid.  But after that, it was really hit or miss.  That being said, Kurupt never really lost his freestyle ability on the spot, like when he was on BET (probably The Bassment) and then some random behind-the-scenes footage where he said some slick shit (nothing mind blowing, but I remember part of it being something like, "I'm smacking these niggas/ Hitting the front and the back of these niggas" or something like that and some better stuff).

Will_B

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 10:53:13 PM »
The Death Row shit was obviously the best, by far.  Most of Tha Streetz Iz a Mutha was good, and some of the tracks that were pretty much all freestyled in the booth (Trylogy, Live on the Mic) were also pretty solid.  But after that, it was really hit or miss.  That being said, Kurupt never really lost his freestyle ability on the spot, like when he was on BET (probably The Bassment) and then some random behind-the-scenes footage where he said some slick shit (nothing mind blowing, but I remember part of it being something like, "I'm smacking these niggas/ Hitting the front and the back of these niggas" or something like that and some better stuff).

jman91331

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2013, 04:55:30 PM »
What do y'all think made him lose it lyrically like he had & so fast? Like from Chronic to like RAW he was on point, super dope. Then on Streets is a Mutha he was still dope but you can see little signs of decline. Then on Space Boggie he start losing it more. After that, it was all over. I can tell he has it in him every now & then (like some of his verses on Streetlights showed some skill) but seems like he can't channel the lyrical shit that used to be in him. What do y'all think it is, drugs, personal shit, lack of motivation?

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2013, 05:39:15 PM »
I think they all pretty much fucked up when Pac died and Dre left Death Row

I agree.  That's why Lady of Rage's technique didn't fall off post-Death Row.  Pac didn't fucc with her, so she wasn't around him much to degrade her technique and work ethic unlike the other Death Row artists.  Don't get me wrong -- all in all, I think Pac is the GOAT, all things considered.  But perhaps the most unfortunate aspect of his legacy was that his desire to go through each song in one take regardless of the precision of the outcome rubbed off on the other Row artists in a bad way.  It worked for Pac because his talent overcame his lack of diligence.  But I think a guy like Kurupt took Pac's advice to heart to ill effect.  Kurupt said Pac told him to instead of taking three days to make one song, just make three songs in one day.  You do this by sacrificing takes in the studio to get your vocals right and sacrificing the time it takes to deliver complex rhyme patterns and allusions that Kurupt had up until Pac deluded his work-product.  Let's be honest, Pac's technique took a nose-dive on AEOM, and it undid the teaching of musical precision that Dr. Dre had imbued in his Death Row artists from 92-95.

What do y'all think made him lose it lyrically like he had & so fast? Like from Chronic to like RAW he was on point, super dope. Then on Streets is a Mutha he was still dope but you can see little signs of decline. Then on Space Boggie he start losing it more. After that, it was all over. I can tell he has it in him every now & then (like some of his verses on Streetlights showed some skill) but seems like he can't channel the lyrical shit that used to be in him. What do y'all think it is, drugs, personal shit, lack of motivation?

It's what I wrote above about Kurupt's becoming less disciplined with constructing a song.  PLUS other factors: the fact that every verse Kurupt records, it seems like we hear, when back in Death Row's heyday, we really didn't get many verses from Kurupt, all in all.  Maybe a handful for the first few years.  That meant we only heard the best of the best rather than all the vocal sessions that we hear now.  Also, Death Row had the best engineers and studio money and assistants in the game back then; this all helped artists sound their best.  These days, Kurupt is on his own without much assistance.  Who's telling him to rewrite and redo his vocals?  In addition, Kurupt isn't as hungry anymore, and he's run out of things to say.  And, finally, rappers are like athletes -- Kurupt just isn't in his prime anymore.  It's natural that he fell off.  You can't stay in your prime forever.  Typically, once rappers exit their early 30s if not earlier, they begin to fall off.  This happened with Kurupt.

So it's a cornucopia of reasons.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Sccit

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »

actually, he was rhymin better on "tha streetz" than he was on "kuruption"... since his departure from death row, he's been hit or miss lyrically. it all comes down to effort. he doesnt feel the need to go all out on every track like he did during the death row era. he's not scared to let production dominate a song. "space boogie" was still a great album, lyrical or not.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2013, 06:38:30 PM »

actually, he was rhymin better on "tha streetz" than he was on "kuruption"... since his departure from death row, he's been hit or miss lyrically. it all comes down to effort. he doesnt feel the need to go all out on every track like he did during the death row era. he's not scared to let production dominate a song. "space boogie" was still a great album, lyrical or not.

yeah kurupt on "Trylogy" was the finest he's rapped in the past 15 years

EXCEPT for "2 turntables and a microphone" with crazy tunes in 2008.....i have no idea how but Kurupt channeled his old 1995 self on that song.

edit:  been playing Trylogy on repeat for like 20 minutes now, that beat is amazing and it's a shame Kurupt only did one verse to it.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 08:17:02 PM by Mr. Bones »

Sifo

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2013, 02:05:37 AM »
Best work on the mic?

easily  - Puffin' On Blunts And Drankin' Tanqueray

And he's havin fun on "at it again" - i llke it

Morphine

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2013, 03:49:01 AM »

easily  - Puffin' On Blunts And Drankin' Tanqueray

HighEyeCue

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2013, 06:47:21 AM »
his delivery on "Streetz" was wicked but his lyrics were mostly hit or miss...Roscoe got the best of him on "I call shots" and on "Step Up" he was subpar as well

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2013, 11:26:55 AM »
his delivery on "Streetz" was wicked but his lyrics were mostly hit or miss...Roscoe got the best of him on "I call shots" and on "Step Up" he was subpar as well

he stood NO chance on step up

crooked i body bagged the opening verse and Xzibit also dropped one of his best verses as well.  kurupt in between those 2 had no chance lol