Author Topic: Mackelmore The Best Thing To Happen To West Coast Hip Hop Since 2pac?  (Read 1771 times)

Mistah Wilson

• Lil Geezy
Yes. Tis' true. Seattle rapper Macklemore (& Ryan Lewis of course lol) are the best thing to happen to West Coast Hip Hop since 2pac Shakur.

Why:
He went #1 on iTunes whilst being independent.

Hit #2 on the Top 200 Billboard charts whilst being independent.

Performed in front of the Seattle Mariners crowd of 50+k people in remembrance of a well-known former commentator, whilst being independent

"The Heist" is the realest album released by a mainstream west coast rapper this year. Musically, lyrically, and conceptually.

Doesn't imitate others. He is himself and portrays just that.

Didn't sell out to get it. Even made a complimentary track on behalf of Jimmy Iovine

Now, before we go crazy about this bold statement, lets be rational about it. And remember, Seattle is West Coast, too muh fuckaz lol and they represent the whole scene very well...

Hack Wilson - real

Re: Mackelmore The Best Thing To Happen To West Coast Hip Hop Since 2pac?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 01:59:57 PM »
he sucks

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG

Remedy360

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »
Never been a big fan, and gets way overplayed living out here. Regardless, he's been doing his thing in independently and been very successful. Real good dude too, can't hate on the guy.

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 04:15:09 PM »
he seems like a legit cat....but his music is like the white version of pitbull. fuck that shiet.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:14 PM »
Mackelmore is wack... rapping about gay rights doesn't make you "conscious", lol
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:38 PM »
Mackelmore is wack... rapping about gay rights doesn't make you "conscious", lol

fact.  it just makes him gay :D

Fraxxx

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »
Macklemore got some nice joints. I like a lot of his shit.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Sccit

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:52:58 PM »
this is the dude who said he thought he was gay in 3rd grade, right?

fact: if u think you're gay in 3rd grade, you're gay

PLANT

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:57:14 PM »
Never been a big fan, and gets way overplayed living out here. Regardless, he's been doing his thing in independently and been very successful. Real good dude too, can't hate on the guy.
yep...not a big fan of his music, but gotta give props for doing what hes doing as an independent artist

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »
yep...not a big fan of his music, but gotta give props for doing what hes doing as an independent artist

This is what I hate in hip-hop these days.  That you have to "respect" someone on account of their "success".  That's the problem these days and that's why Jay-Z gets so much love because everyone "respects" him for how much money and success he's made.

This is art, is it not?  Are we not fans of the art?  If he is the CEO and a business major then I will respect him for his success as a business man.  But if you are a mutherfucking rap artist and your making shit that I don't feel then why do I have to respect you because of your "hustle".  This concept has fucked up hip-hop.

I swear, I listen to so many dumb ass niccaz around Kansas City sit around and argue over which rappers make the most money.  They see a rapper on TV and the first thing they talk about is who has the most money.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Russell Bell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:09:44 PM »

This is what I hate in hip-hop these days.  That you have to "respect" someone on account of their "success".  That's the problem these days and that's why Jay-Z gets so much love because everyone "respects" him for how much money and success he's made.

This is art, is it not?  Are we not fans of the art?  If he is the CEO and a business major then I will respect him for his success as a business man.  But if you are a mutherfucking rap artist and your making shit that I don't feel then why do I have to respect you because of your "hustle".  This concept has fucked up hip-hop.

I swear, I listen to so many dumb ass niccaz around Kansas City sit around and argue over which rappers make the most money.  They see a rapper on TV and the first thing they talk about is who has the most money.

yeah i agree infinite.

I mean, u dont have to hate the person, but who really cares about this guy's "success".  doesnt put money in my pocket.  and it damn sure doesnt mean good music.

the jay z example is perfect. 
Money like Draymond Green.....yuuup

Remedy360

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 06:01:45 PM »

I swear, I listen to so many dumb ass niccaz around Kansas City sit around and argue over which rappers make the most money.  They see a rapper on TV and the first thing they talk about is who has the most money.

It's circumstantial. The fact that he's been doing his thing independently while rapping with a positive message and still made it to the top is admirable and is obviously far from common in hip hop. He's also a really humble and down to earth dude who is constantly reaching out to his fans. It's a completely different situation from a guy like Jay, so I think you're pretty far off-base making that comparison.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 07:08:41 PM »
Can we just stop with the Tupac comparisons?  It's just ultra cliché at this point.  It doesn't generate interesting conversation.  It's just dusting off the same boring hyperbole whenever someone out West gets a little buzz going.