Author Topic: Mackelmore The Best Thing To Happen To West Coast Hip Hop Since 2pac?  (Read 1769 times)

K-MACC

• Muthafuckin' Don!

CHUCK KNOXXX

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • FUCK LOVE & FUCK THE WORLD
Re: Mackelmore The Best Thing To Happen To West Coast Hip Hop Since 2pac?
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 12:45:28 AM »
he sounds way to much like slug,to the point he needs to cut him check. he doesn't suck tho, but his music aint for me. dude had been putting in work on the underground tip for a minute tho. either way, dudes caking up right now, i aint mad at him.
http://www.facebook.com/AllAngles818 
CLICK ALBUM COVERS TO DOWNLOAD

Sccit

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 01:23:05 AM »
he sounds way to much like slug,to the point he needs to cut him check. he doesn't suck tho, but his music aint for me. dude had been putting in work on the underground tip for a minute tho. either way, dudes caking up right now, i aint mad at him.

slug>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>mackelmore

Remedy360

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »
he sounds way to much like slug,to the point he needs to cut him check.

Never heard the similarity, outside of the general indie sound I guess. Either way, Slug raps circles around Mackelmore.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2013, 02:09:35 AM »
this is the dude who said he thought he was gay in 3rd grade, right?

fact: if u think you're gay in 3rd grade, you're gay

story of Elano's life

Mistah Wilson

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 01:39:59 PM »
Never been a big fan, and gets way overplayed living out here. Regardless, he's been doing his thing in independently and been very successful. Real good dude too, can't hate on the guy.
yep...not a big fan of his music, but gotta give props for doing what hes doing as an independent artist

This is what I hate in hip-hop these days.  That you have to "respect" someone on account of their "success".  That's the problem these days and that's why Jay-Z gets so much love because everyone "respects" him for how much money and success he's made.

This is art, is it not?  Are we not fans of the art?  If he is the CEO and a business major then I will respect him for his success as a business man.  But if you are a mutherfucking rap artist and your making shit that I don't feel then why do I have to respect you because of your "hustle".  This concept has fucked up hip-hop.

I swear, I listen to so many dumb ass niccaz around Kansas City sit around and argue over which rappers make the most money.  They see a rapper on TV and the first thing they talk about is who has the most money.

It's circumstantial. The fact that he's been doing his thing independently while rapping with a positive message and still made it to the top is admirable and is obviously far from common in hip hop. He's also a really humble and down to earth dude who is constantly reaching out to his fans. It's a completely different situation from a guy like Jay, so I think you're pretty far off-base making that comparison.

thank you.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 02:04:53 PM »
Never been a big fan, and gets way overplayed living out here. Regardless, he's been doing his thing in independently and been very successful. Real good dude too, can't hate on the guy.
yep...not a big fan of his music, but gotta give props for doing what hes doing as an independent artist

This is what I hate in hip-hop these days.  That you have to "respect" someone on account of their "success".  That's the problem these days and that's why Jay-Z gets so much love because everyone "respects" him for how much money and success he's made.

This is art, is it not?  Are we not fans of the art?  If he is the CEO and a business major then I will respect him for his success as a business man.  But if you are a mutherfucking rap artist and your making shit that I don't feel then why do I have to respect you because of your "hustle".  This concept has fucked up hip-hop.

I swear, I listen to so many dumb ass niccaz around Kansas City sit around and argue over which rappers make the most money.  They see a rapper on TV and the first thing they talk about is who has the most money.

Agreed. This " I respect his hustle/movement" logic is the same bullshit I remember hearin from people to defend when Soulja Boy came out w/ his bullshit music. It completely undermines the integrity of hip hop. This Macklemore guy is even worse, because nowadays when gay rights is such a touchy issue you come out against it youre gonna get backlash. You support it n you get painted as some kind of progressive revolutionary. So even if you an average or below average rapper, you come out support them batty boys and you immediately got the whole LGBT community behind you. Meanwhile, You can come out with all the skill in the world. Make a song sayin you hate gays or not w/ that, watch youre career stall n flop. Thats whats wrong now.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »

MistaNova

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 02:46:35 PM »
Depends, did 2Pac ever do anything great for the west coast hip hop scene? If so what was it and how big was the impact? Can it still be considered great after all these years and by today's standards?

Until I know the answer to those questions I'll just say that I lump Macklemore together with Tyga and Kendrick Lamar as the only rappers from the west coast who've actually been successful in the mainstream hip hop scene, in recent memory, and that I wish his career the best even though I'm not a fan of his music (it's not terrible but not great either IMO).

BTW, Lil B The Based God is the best thing to happen to the west coast hip hop scene since N.W.A.

Mietek23

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 01:27:54 AM »
Just cause Macklemore lives in Seattle, dosen't mean he's a "West Coast artist" or even affiliated with the Cali scene in some way ::)

Dude got few nice cuts here and there, but I don't see nothing special in dude, so I don't know where all the hype came from, but it seems to be typical these days...

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
Just cause Macklemore lives in Seattle, dosen't mean he's a "West Coast artist" or even affiliated with the Cali scene in some way ::)

Dude got few nice cuts here and there, but I don't see nothing special in dude, so I don't know where all the hype came from, but it seems to be typical these days...
these kids today listen to mediocre pop bullshit all day and will push away anything wit a message that's why a lame like maklemore can come in and get their vote cause they have low expectations...wack is the new dope.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »
props to him for doing his independent thing but I think his 15 minutes are almost up...

Sccit

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 10:36:11 AM »

LOL THE WEST COAST IS NOT JUST LIMITED TO CALI BROBRO...PORTLAND AND SEATTLE ALSO FALL UNDER WEST COAST, AND EVEN NEW MEXICO, COLORADO, UTAH, ARIZONA, + NEVADA CLASSIFIES AS WEST.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 10:40:14 AM »
arizona is not west COAST

Okka

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 11:47:06 AM »
Was this thread supposed to be funny? I mean, the OP wasn't obviously serious.