Author Topic: Who wrote "Keep The Heads Ringin" for Dre? That shit was fire!!  (Read 12119 times)

donfathaimmortal

Re: Who wrote "Keep The Heads Ringin" for Dre? That shit was fire!!
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2013, 12:33:52 AM »
The Producer in Hip Hop is typically thought of as the person who makes the beat. But, when you look at say the Phil Spector, Quincy Jones and the like, they were orchestrating the musicians around them to create a sound, directing the vocalist to sing a certain way, etc. That is what Dre is doing. He's a Producer in a traditional sense of the term, not a beat maker.

E.X.A.C.T.L.Y.
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

bouli77

« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2013, 03:42:23 AM »
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/08/docs_top_five_doc_ghostwritten.php

1. "Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang," Dr. Dre featuring Snoop
D.O.C: "When ''G' Thang' was created, I was living in Agoura Hills, and Snoop and Warren G were living with me. In 1990 me and Snoop each took the beat to different parts of the house to write. Snoop went upstairs, I stayed downstairs, and we met back up in an hour. When he came back downstairs I said, 'Let's take this piece and put it here...This doesn't really work there.' It's really just like a jigsaw [puzzle]. And then I said, 'For the last line [of Dre's verse], let's put my name on there,' because otherwise I wouldn't get to be in the song. That's why Dre says: Like my nigga D.O.C./ No one can do it better."

they both wrote different parts, but D.O.C was clearly the overseer of what was being written and what went where. as a matter of fact, he was pretty much the dre of writing on that project.

money to the second part of ur post.

agreed with the overseer part that doesn't mean he did the bulk of the work on G-Thang though cause at the end of the day Snoop still did the majority of the writing, D.O.C. was here to coach him and give him directions, so he's like a producer in his own right but in terms of quantity Snoop has done more than "barely wrte" for Dre as u said it before.

wait, where did u get that "snoop did a majority of the writing for g-thang" from? cuz according to d.o,c, snoop went upstairs with the beat, d.o.c stayed downstairs with the beat, and they both began writing...they met back up after an hour of writing, and D.O.C decided what goes where and how to structure the rhymes.....according to his account, it sounds to me like a d.o.c did a bulk of the writing. but i guess ur goin wit the reliable death row credits :laugh:

d.o.c is much more of a writer than snoop, and we all know this...snoop wrote for dre, but not nearly as much as the other ghost-writers. it's common sense. how much do u really think snoop wrote for dre if he was using ghost-writers for himself? what u think d.o.c was doin the whole time when they were workin on the album? GHOST-writing....theres a reason they gave it that name.

i'm not saying D.O.C. didn't do more than what he's credited for (afterall he's the archetype of a ghostwriter), i'm just sayin' Snoop at the time did a little bit more than "barely write" for Dre. regardless of whether he had to use writers for himself later on, Dre is all about capturing the energy of the moment, and that's what he did with The Chronic, Snoop was on a rhyming spree at the time (I remember a Big Hutch interview with dubcnn where he said at the time Snoop would bust crazy freestyles like that out of nowhere when he was developing him before Dre really got involved), his style was innovative (didn't stay for long as he quickly went out of ideas and things to say) and everybody was jocking him, so it's not foolish to think that he wrote a lot for Dre for the Chronic, and that the lyrics were later rearranged here and there by D.O.C. who has always been Snoop's mentor. if you think about it, Snoop's lyrics nowadays are corny and outdated, but when it came out it sounded fresh as hell.. now i never said D.O.C. wasn't much more of a writer than Snoop, cause D.O.C. is a pure songwriter and skilled lyricist whereas Snoop is like a freestyler more or less who quickly ran out of things to say after his first album, but on The Chronic in particular, Snoop wrote a lot, and this time I believe the credits in that case, why would they credit Snoop, who was a no name at the time, over anyone else in the group ? it's not like he was in a position of power or anything.

Sccit

« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2013, 07:32:45 AM »
http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoastsound/2011/08/docs_top_five_doc_ghostwritten.php

1. "Nuthin' But A 'G' Thang," Dr. Dre featuring Snoop
D.O.C: "When ''G' Thang' was created, I was living in Agoura Hills, and Snoop and Warren G were living with me. In 1990 me and Snoop each took the beat to different parts of the house to write. Snoop went upstairs, I stayed downstairs, and we met back up in an hour. When he came back downstairs I said, 'Let's take this piece and put it here...This doesn't really work there.' It's really just like a jigsaw [puzzle]. And then I said, 'For the last line [of Dre's verse], let's put my name on there,' because otherwise I wouldn't get to be in the song. That's why Dre says: Like my nigga D.O.C./ No one can do it better."

they both wrote different parts, but D.O.C was clearly the overseer of what was being written and what went where. as a matter of fact, he was pretty much the dre of writing on that project.

money to the second part of ur post.

agreed with the overseer part that doesn't mean he did the bulk of the work on G-Thang though cause at the end of the day Snoop still did the majority of the writing, D.O.C. was here to coach him and give him directions, so he's like a producer in his own right but in terms of quantity Snoop has done more than "barely wrte" for Dre as u said it before.

wait, where did u get that "snoop did a majority of the writing for g-thang" from? cuz according to d.o,c, snoop went upstairs with the beat, d.o.c stayed downstairs with the beat, and they both began writing...they met back up after an hour of writing, and D.O.C decided what goes where and how to structure the rhymes.....according to his account, it sounds to me like a d.o.c did a bulk of the writing. but i guess ur goin wit the reliable death row credits :laugh:

d.o.c is much more of a writer than snoop, and we all know this...snoop wrote for dre, but not nearly as much as the other ghost-writers. it's common sense. how much do u really think snoop wrote for dre if he was using ghost-writers for himself? what u think d.o.c was doin the whole time when they were workin on the album? GHOST-writing....theres a reason they gave it that name.

i'm not saying D.O.C. didn't do more than what he's credited for (afterall he's the archetype of a ghostwriter), i'm just sayin' Snoop at the time did a little bit more than "barely write" for Dre. regardless of whether he had to use writers for himself later on, Dre is all about capturing the energy of the moment, and that's what he did with The Chronic, Snoop was on a rhyming spree at the time (I remember a Big Hutch interview with dubcnn where he said at the time Snoop would bust crazy freestyles like that out of nowhere when he was developing him before Dre really got involved), his style was innovative (didn't stay for long as he quickly went out of ideas and things to say) and everybody was jocking him, so it's not foolish to think that he wrote a lot for Dre for the Chronic, and that the lyrics were later rearranged here and there by D.O.C. who has always been Snoop's mentor. if you think about it, Snoop's lyrics nowadays are corny and outdated, but when it came out it sounded fresh as hell.. now i never said D.O.C. wasn't much more of a writer than Snoop, cause D.O.C. is a pure songwriter and skilled lyricist whereas Snoop is like a freestyler more or less who quickly ran out of things to say after his first album, but on The Chronic in particular, Snoop wrote a lot, and this time I believe the credits in that case, why would they credit Snoop, who was a no name at the time, over anyone else in the group ? it's not like he was in a position of power or anything.

why not believe the credits? because it says RBX only wrote one song and didnt credit DOC on songs we know he wrote or at least co-wrote.....thats why

Sccit

« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2013, 07:36:37 AM »
The Producer in Hip Hop is typically thought of as the person who makes the beat. But, when you look at say the Phil Spector, Quincy Jones and the like, they were orchestrating the musicians around them to create a sound, directing the vocalist to sing a certain way, etc. That is what Dre is doing. He's a Producer in a traditional sense of the term, not a beat maker.

and thats 893489427389743 times harder and takes a whole lot more work and energy than simply putting together a hard-hitting drum loop and comin up with a nice melody to layer over it, which what most "producers" in hip-hop are limited to nowadays...any hip-hop head wit fruity loops can do that shit. what dre does is wayyy more impressive, on a whole nother level.

but dont tell some of the cats who post here that :grumpy:

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »
So weird, this shit gets debated over and over again.

Money. It's why Daz and a lot of Death Row's producers didn't do shit once Dre left. All these producers spent 1996-1999 talking about how they really produced the Chronic, or other Dre beats, but never once did they make shit that sounded as good. Dre switched up his style in 2001 and it was BETTER than his Death Row shit. Some dudes wanted credit just because they found a sample that Dre used. But they didn't actually produced the track.

As for the lyrics. From what it looked like, Snoop would write and DOC would coach and critic him and offer him suggestions. This was not unheard of, it was only after the mid-90's where everyone moved into the whole, "you ain't real unless you write everything yourself." This was in response to the Wu Tang Clan, or Nas, or Biggie, or 2Pac. But 2Pac use to coach the Outlawz on their lyrics, and Snoop said him, Daz and Kurupt use to compare lyrics all the time and borrow from each other. It's nothing new, and I'd argue that since rap artist stop collaborating on lyrics with their crew members, there has been a huge drop in quality.

Mietek23

« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2013, 09:02:05 AM »
funny thing is, thats what cats like okka and mietek really think

Did I said something like that?

I've said Sam Sneed made the OG beat, Dre liked it and wanted to buy - Sam agreed to sell it for 20k and Dre redone the beat into "Keep Your Hands Ringin", that's it.

I don't create conspiracy theories - everyone know's ghostwriting and ghostproducing was a common thing on Death Row. Soopafly was making beats for Daz, Kurupt was writing stuff for other rappers, etc. They all created something special WITH Dre overseeing everything.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2013, 09:07:31 AM »
you shouldn't put your name on a track unless you've put a significant amount of work into it.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Sccit

« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2013, 09:18:33 AM »
you shouldn't put your name on a track unless you've put a significant amount of work into it.

EXACTLY

AND AT THE END OF THE DAY, DRE PUTS IN MORE WORK THAN EVERY1 ON THE TRACK COMBINED

COMING UP WITH A BEAT, SONG IDEA, WRITING THE LYRICS, RECORDING THE FLOWS....I LEARNED THROUGH 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE, ALL THAT'S THE EASY PART. TRUST ME.

Sccit

« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
funny thing is, thats what cats like okka and mietek really think

Did I said something like that?

I've said Sam Sneed made the OG beat, Dre liked it and wanted to buy - Sam agreed to sell it for 20k and Dre redone the beat into "Keep Your Hands Ringin", that's it.

I don't create conspiracy theories - everyone know's ghostwriting and ghostproducing was a common thing on Death Row. Soopafly was making beats for Daz, Kurupt was writing stuff for other rappers, etc. They all created something special WITH Dre overseeing everything.

maybe i was confusing u with some of the other cats on here who claim dre doesnt produce a lot of the shit he gets credit for, my bad

pixtr

« Reply #114 on: September 26, 2013, 09:52:58 AM »

EXACTLY

AND AT THE END OF THE DAY, DRE PUTS IN MORE WORK THAN EVERY1 ON THE TRACK COMBINED

COMING UP WITH A BEAT, SONG IDEA, WRITING THE LYRICS, RECORDING THE FLOWS....I LEARNED THROUGH 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE, ALL THAT'S THE EASY PART. TRUST ME.
So if it so easy why Dre not do it yourself? That's the point. These producers and ghotswriters did most of the work. Dre just smoke weed and has good ear. But they have a talent. U can't make dope beat or write lyrics if u ain't got that. Lot of producers making beat from the scratch. And they deserve to the respect. Storch played piano in "Still Dre" and that's what everybody loved in this beat.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #115 on: September 26, 2013, 12:29:46 PM »

EXACTLY

So if it so easy why Dre not do it yourself? That's the point. These producers and ghotswriters did most of the work. Dre just smoke weed and has good ear. But they have a talent. U can't make dope beat or write lyrics if u ain't got that. Lot of producers making beat from the scratch. And they deserve to the respect. Storch played piano in "Still Dre" and that's what everybody loved in this beat.

Storch will be the first to tell you, he played what Dre wanted him to play. Storch has had a ton of hits, but not at the level of Dre. Dre is a perfectionist and he does put in the work to make it sound perfect. All these other dudes do get credit, Daz was given credit for the whole Dogg Food album, Mel Man was given credit for half of 2001. But neither has repeated that kind of success on their own.

Sccit

« Reply #116 on: September 26, 2013, 01:23:23 PM »

EXACTLY

Because having a team of musicians around u to lead is the best way to go

Common sense, really

TidyKris

« Reply #117 on: September 26, 2013, 02:40:15 PM »

EXACTLY

I have to agree with this. Im sorry but its easy to sit with a producer and tell them what you want to hear or what you want something to
sound like, anybody with any musical knowledge or any idea on arrangement, synthesis, chord structures etc can do that.

Yes its true that none of Dre's producers got as big as Dre did but why is that? Dre was a household name and was already classed as a super
producer since in the late 80's so of course he is going to be bigger then everybody else....he could fart into a microphone and release it as
a single and people will claim its the best sound since "2001"

But i suppose because we have a different point of view then it means we dont know im talking about right??

Dre has a really good ear for good music but without a whole bunch of other guys making music then he would have nothing but a drum beat. Dre is not
a production genius, he is a arrangement genius, although i would not really call him a genius....making hip hop beats is hardly rocket science is it?

Sccit

« Reply #118 on: September 26, 2013, 03:25:07 PM »

EXACTLY

I have to agree with this. Im sorry but its easy to sit with a producer and tell them what you want to hear or what you want something to
sound like, anybody with any musical knowledge or any idea on arrangement, synthesis, chord structures etc can do that.

Yes its true that none of Dre's producers got as big as Dre did but why is that? Dre was a household name and was already classed as a super
producer since in the late 80's so of course he is going to be bigger then everybody else....he could fart into a microphone and release it as
a single and people will claim its the best sound since "2001"

But i suppose because we have a different point of view then it means we dont know im talking about right??

Dre has a really good ear for good music but without a whole bunch of other guys making music then he would have nothing but a drum beat. Dre is not
a production genius, he is a arrangement genius, although i would not really call him a genius....making hip hop beats is hardly rocket science is it?

There's so much wrong with ur post, I don't even know where to begin

First off, u have to be straight up an idiot to think "anyone with musical knowledge" can do what Dre does

And more importantly, Dre is as great as he is because people know to expect quality from whatever he touches.. Quality goes a long way. "farting into a mic" goes completely against what Dre stands for smfh

Lets also not act like dre's Never produced an entire beat from scratch on his own..making a beat as good as Dre goes beyond rocket science .. How many producers have tried to emulate that sound only to come short? I'll give u a hint- a whole lot

whoisthis

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2013, 03:27:09 PM »
Scott Storch played the piano for Still D.R.E. and that is what most people remember, but Dre heard it and brought it to life. A beat is only as good as the lyrics over it. That is what Dre does. He takes the music. He pairs it with the lyrics. Not every producer can do that. When DJ Quik has someone come in and play a guitar lick, does that take away from his production? No. It enhances it. Musicians have always been the gateway for Producers to making great music. Lock Daz in a Room with Soopafly, Kurupt & Snoop and then a week later, do the same with Dre. Who would come out with the better finished product?
Some Of What's On Rotation:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqx3qc9oMmw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Bqx3qc9oMmw</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Iq8KghDEJNg" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Iq8KghDEJNg</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/IKsU2FG5tQA" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/IKsU2FG5tQA</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/MwjVHzBvurU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/MwjVHzBvurU</a><a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/hcI56Q00yp8" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/hcI56Q00yp8</a>