Author Topic: Who wrote "Keep The Heads Ringin" for Dre? That shit was fire!!  (Read 12158 times)

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
Re: Who wrote "Keep The Heads Ringin" for Dre? That shit was fire!!
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:32 AM »
you shouldn't put your name on a track unless you've put a significant amount of work into it.

EXACTLY

AND AT THE END OF THE DAY, DRE PUTS IN MORE WORK THAN EVERY1 ON THE TRACK COMBINED

COMING UP WITH A BEAT, SONG IDEA, WRITING THE LYRICS, RECORDING THE FLOWS....I LEARNED THROUGH 1ST HAND EXPERIENCE, ALL THAT'S THE EASY PART. TRUST ME.
So if it so easy why Dre not do it yourself? That's the point. These producers and ghotswriters did most of the work. Dre just smoke weed and has good ear. But they have a talent. U can't make dope beat or write lyrics if u ain't got that. Lot of producers making beat from the scratch. And they deserve to the respect. Storch played piano in "Still Dre" and that's what everybody loved in this beat.

I have to agree with this. Im sorry but its easy to sit with a producer and tell them what you want to hear or what you want something to
sound like, anybody with any musical knowledge or any idea on arrangement, synthesis, chord structures etc can do that.

Yes its true that none of Dre's producers got as big as Dre did but why is that? Dre was a household name and was already classed as a super
producer since in the late 80's so of course he is going to be bigger then everybody else....he could fart into a microphone and release it as
a single and people will claim its the best sound since "2001"

But i suppose because we have a different point of view then it means we dont know im talking about right??

Dre has a really good ear for good music but without a whole bunch of other guys making music then he would have nothing but a drum beat. Dre is not
a production genius, he is a arrangement genius, although i would not really call him a genius....making hip hop beats is hardly rocket science is it?

And you just described the producer.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2013, 02:39:55 PM »
Understand that there is many people behind every each track that you hear. There is hardly ever one or less than 3 people behind the music. There are musicians that play each instrument best they can, there are artists who sing/rap along (like an instrument pretty much). And between all of that there is also producer, who has a vision, or who knows what he wants to hear. Its subjective what is most important, but you must agree that Dre was doin the hell of a job on his position.

jman91331

« Reply #122 on: September 28, 2013, 12:01:27 PM »
I dont know what to believe when it comes to this but i will say one thing. There are a hell of a lot more people saying Dre
did not make beats then people saying he did.

I hear that for a lot of tracks Dre laid the drum beat down and the session musicians or other producers like Daz etc
would make music around it then Dre would mix and arrange it....now to me that's not a producer. The producer writes
the music. Not just a drum beat and then some arrangement.

Its funny how his early stuff sounded a lot like Daz's stuff and his later stuff sounded like Scott Storch and them. Nowdays he
does not seem to be working with any hot producers and his beats are not very good. People say that when Dre drops
new albums he is re-inventing his sound....now is that right or is he really just taking stuff from a new batch of producers?

Like i say, i dont know what really goes on for sure so im not taking anything away from Dre at all, he is a talent, even if it
is just the way he makes the final product sound even if he did not actually write the music or produce it
Yeah but most of those people saying that are disgruntled people that used to work with him and don't anymore, or people on forums like these that don't shit about what actually goes on in the studio and what it takes to make the songs they speaking on. I wouldn't trust either's word in that case. But it isn't a coincidence that every rapper, singer, producer, musician, that has been asked about Dre or did an interview, praises the shit out of him. They all say the same thing (perfectionist, the greatest, etc). If he was just the type to sit around and jack people's shit would he get props like that from literally everyone that has been in the lab with him? No! He's had different co-producers and musicians over the years but yet all his beats still have that "Dre style" and sound. Basically no matter who contributed to the song, you can tell immediately that it's a Dr Dre beat. Why, because the man is doing the actual work. People that worked with him and moved on, why the beats don't sound nearly as good if they were doing all the work? Also, if Dre starts working with someone else, why his beats sound just as good as the beat he did with the last person? You can do the math on that and see where the common denominator is. The beats on efil4zaggin sound light years ahead of what Yella did on for the love of money for Bone Thugs or on what he did on Eazy's last album, whatever Daz so-called contributed to on Doggystyle with Dre and Afro Puffs that he produced with Dre sounds totally better than anything Daz did without Dre, nothing Mel-Man did since 2001 sound remotely as good as any beat on 2001, Scott Storch had some hits since he started working without Dre but none of them sound as good as the beats him and Dre did together when they had they little run (like on the Documentary and whatever else before Mike Elizondo became his main co-producer). I could go on & on but it all comes so back to Dre. The man works hard to make shit that we all loved so he shouldn't be discredited for his work. Snoop even said he's seen Dre make beats from top to bottom by himself and you can see footage on YouTube of him playing piano & keyboards so we all know if he wanted to he could ex co-producers and musicians out the mix. He has always said he likes the collaboration process with others (kinda like a jam session with him at the lead) so that's just how the man likes to work, not because he has to. Look at Relapse. There's songs on there where he's credited as the sole producer and there's songs he produced on there with others. The songs he produced on his own sound just as good (or is some cases better) than the ones he did with others. So bottom line Dre puts that work in.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 03:32:45 PM by jman91331 »

Sccit

« Reply #123 on: September 28, 2013, 01:01:05 PM »
I dont know what to believe when it comes to this but i will say one thing. There are a hell of a lot more people saying Dre

I hear that for a lot of tracks Dre laid the drum beat down and the session musicians or other producers like Daz etc
would make music around it then Dre would mix and arrange it....now to me that's not a producer. The producer writes

Its funny how his early stuff sounded a lot like Daz's stuff and his later stuff sounded like Scott Storch and them. Nowdays he
does not seem to be working with any hot producers and his beats are not very good. People say that when Dre drops
new albums he is re-inventing his sound....now is that right or is he really just taking stuff from a new batch of producers?

Like i say, i dont know what really goes on for sure so im not taking anything away from Dre at all, he is a talent, even if it
is just the way he makes the final product sound even if he did not actually write the music or produce it
Yeah but most of those people saying that area. Disgruntled people that used to work with him and don't anymore, or people on forums like these that don't shit about what actually goes on in the studio and what it takes to make the songs they speaking on. I wouldn't trust either's word in that case. But it isn't a coincidence that every rapper, singer, producer, musician, that has been asked about Dre or did an interview, praises the shit out of him. They all say the same thing (perfectionist, the greatest, etc). If he was just the type to sit around and jack people's shit would he get props like that from literally everyone that has been in the lab with him? No! He's had different co-producers and musicians over the years but yet all his beats still have that "Dre style" and sound. Basically no matter who contributed to the song, you can tell immediately that it's a Dr Dre beat. Why, because the man is doing the actual work. People that worked with him and moved on, why the beats don't sound nearly as good if they were doing all the work? Also, if Dre starts working with someone else, why his beats sound just as good as the beat he did with the last person? You can do the math on that and see where the common denominator is. The beats on efil4zaggin sound light years ahead of what Yella did on for the love of money for Bone thugs or on what he did on Eazy's last album, whatever Daz so-called contributed to on Doggystyle with Dre and Afro Puffs that he produced with Dre sounds totally better than Daz did without Dre, nothing Mel-Man did since 2001 sound remotely as good as any beat on 2001, Scott Storch had some hits since he started working without Dre but none of them sound as good as the beats him and Dre did together when they had they little run (like on the Documentary and whatever else before Mike Elizondo became his main content-producer). I could go on & on but it all comes so back to Dre. The man works hard to make shit that we all loved so he shouldn't be discredited for his work. Snoop even said he's seen Dre make beats from top to bottom by himself and you can see footage on YouTube of him playing piano & keyboards so we all know if he wanted to he could ex could-producers and musicians out the mix. He has always said he likes the collaboration process with others (kinda like a jam session with him at the lead) so that's just how the man likes to work, not because he has to. Look at Relapse. There's songs on there where he's credited as the sole producer and there's songs he produced on there with others. The songs he produced on his own sound just as good (or is some cases better) than the ones he did with others. So bottom line Dre puts that work in.

MONEY

Okka

« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2013, 06:53:08 PM »
funny thing is, thats what cats like okka and mietek really think

I've always said that Dr. Dre is my favorite producer of all times, but i just think the people he works with don't always get the credit they deserve.

Exactly. At the end of the day, none of us really know what goes inside the studios. All we can do is speculate.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 07:01:46 PM by Okka »

Jimmy H.

« Reply #125 on: September 30, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
The modern idea of a producer is what killed creativity for the music - expecting one 'big name' to do everything on his set up instead of a collaborative process with musicians, DJs and samples.
I think it's damaging thinking in all forms of entertainment because the creative process in things like music and filmmaking is very often, a collaborative process. The media likes to grab one name and make them the self-made person who built it all from scratch but every one of those success stories has people behind the scenes who contributed strong ideas.

I don't think of Dre as this great beat-maker. I think of him as a great "producer". He surrounds himself with talented people and takes their best ideas to build something extraordinary and his track record shows he's done that time and time again. That is what a producer is supposed to be. I hate to burst anyone's bubble on the subject but all these people who you think make all their own beats from scratch and do all this other extra shit, do not exist. You might have people who do out of necessity when they are just breaking in or getting their start but when you've got Interscope money and deadlines, you're not sitting around doing every little fucking thing on your own.

As a producer, Dre is about as good as it gets in modern music, for someone who has been doing it since the 1980's. And this isn't just beats. This is music production, the way he deals with artists, the whole package. You might have a few producers under Dre's wing who can fuck with him when it comes to putting them beats together but the moment, Dre cut that umbilical cord on them, they aren't going to go out and get artists together and create that universal artist-producer relationship that Dre has created so many times over. You're not getting a Chronic or Doggystyle out of them. I mean, we can argue about who did what beat-wise all day, but when Dre was no longer overseeing production at Ruthless, the shift in production quality was noticeable. Same with Death Row. And there were some talented understudies over there that by all logic, should have thrived without having to share credit on "their" beats with Dre.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
It's the D-R-E the spectacular
In a party I go for your neck, so call me "Blacula"

More than a Stealth bomber, I cause drama
The enforcer, music floats like a flying saucer

When I rock the spot with the flavor I got
I get plenty of ass, so call me an ass-tronaut

As I blast past another nigga's ass that thought he was strong
But I smoke him like grass, just like Cheech and Chong

Many tried to, but just can't rock with
I'm 6-1, 225: pure chocolate

Pure lyricism at it's finest.

hahahahahaha

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2014, 07:32:12 AM »
weak ass rhymes indeed

David Gutterman

« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2014, 07:57:03 AM »
J Flexx helped pen such classics as Natural Born Killers, Keep Their Heads Ringing, Dr. Dre's verse for California Love, and Been there, Done that

http://www.hiphop-elements.com/article/read/6/6936/1/

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2014, 05:15:16 PM »
J Flexx helped pen such classics as Natural Born Killers, Keep Their Heads Ringing, Dr. Dre's verse for California Love, and Been there, Done that

http://www.hiphop-elements.com/article/read/6/6936/1/

funny how former resident and fake Daytonian midget troll Ketchup never pretends to know J Flexx :D