Author Topic: Hip-Hop's Doppelgangers Rappers Who Sound Like Other Rappers  (Read 1135 times)

aerroc

Hip-Hop's Doppelgangers Rappers Who Sound Like Other Rappers
« on: September 21, 2013, 08:26:04 PM »
list some if u know some also

When some artists reach a certain level of acclaim, the biters sometimes come out of the woodwork, echoing styles down to the adlibs.

Other times, a rapper is so influential that his impact can't help but inspire a few new stars, some of whom manage to transcend the influence.

And for some, it's more about marketing. Who wouldn't want to hear a female Snoop Dogg, or find out that Slick Rick's friend raps in a similarly bankable style?

Some of these artists have surreal similarities to the artists they emulate; others feel like natural complements. Either way, here's a partial history

Kyle and Drake

If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, Drake may want to consider chasing a restraining order. What's amazing about this one is that it doesn't just cop an aspect of Drake's music, like his flow or his beats; it takes a vampire bite and drains it physically and spiritually, from its individual components to its overarching essence. Starting with the plaintive piano and extending to the EQ frequency filtering to the slowed hook, "Keep It Real" is a sonic deadringer for Take Care. Kyle's stop-start punchline-oriented flow and the odd emphasis on n-bombs are Drake-ian in nature, but when his sung hook kicks in, it's like watching a cat discover his first mirror.

Then there's the entire presentation: Kyle emulates Drake's everyman struggle, focused on existential middle-class angst, rather than the trials and tribulations of hip-hop's underclass. And like Drake, he adapts that underclass terminology, as in the song's title. Things get the eeriest, though, when it comes to intangibles, like his one-word name and vague resemblence to Aubrey. But most amusing of all is that he even addresses the similarity to Drake in the song: "They say that I sound like Drake/I don't." We beg to differ

Key Song: Kyle "Keep It Real"<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&amp;v=Qhei5QrLihs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&amp;v=Qhei5QrLihs</a>

Dana Dane and Slick Rick

Hip-Hop's Sonic Doppelgangers: 20 Rappers Who Sound Like Other Rappers
By David Drake, Insanul Ahmed | Apr 8, 2013 | 2:42 pm | Permalink
3 of 21
Dana Dane and Slick Rick

Key Song: Dana Dane "Cinderfella Dana Dane"

Dana Dane's 1987 debut predated Slick Rick's The Adventures of Slick Rick by one year, but it was unquestionably indebted to the latter rapper's influence. Unlike many of the rappers whose styles had an obvious connection, however, Dane and Rick were friends. Both were members of the Kangol Crew in high school, and they remain so to this day; Rick even performed at Dana Dane's birthday party in 2010. Adopting Rick's natural UK accent and storytelling style, Rick said in an interview last year, was likely a result of commercial pressures. "Dana didn't use to rap like that, it was the industry that pushed him to sound like something that's already, you know. They said, 'If this sells, then you should sound similar, with an English accent.' So, he did what he had to do to get his foot in the door, you know what I mean? Whatever's clever like that."

Although Dana Dane was recognized as an emulator rather than an innovator, his records did have impact. One rapper heavily influenced by Rick's style who found his own was Snoop Dogg; he paid high-profile tribute to Rick on his debut record cover of "La Di Da Di." But he also did a cover of Dana Dane's biggest hit, "Cinderfella Dana Dane," on his 1999 album No Limit Top Dogg.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oaY_ywp5Y4w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oaY_ywp5Y4w</a>

Sacario and Jay-Z

Just a couple of weeks after Jay-Z released The Blueprint and the twin towers fell, rapper Sacario (of both the Upper West Side and Washington Heights) signed a production deal with Angie Martinez. A couple months later, he was signed to Elektra. Sacario was credited with considerable writing credits on Angie Martinez's album Animal House. But it's when he opens his mouth that the Jay-Z comparisons become unavoidable: the tone of his voice and his phrasings are unavoidably Jigga-like. His Wikipedia page, which channels his accomplishments, never once mentions Jay-Z's name

Key Song: Angie Martinez f/ Lil Mo and Sacario

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/0dzY0YReR1E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/0dzY0YReR1E</a>

Kirko's major hit, 2012's "Drank in My Cup," was a deadringer for Drake's dusty sing-song style. Much of the production on his tape from which this song was culled, Progression 2: A Young Texas Playa, featured the damply morose, minimal soundbeds that seemed sonically indebted to Drake's new sound. But while Kirko could definitely be accused of chasing the sound of the moment, his rap style is arguably as influenced by Lil Wayne, and, compared to Kyle, his big single sounds more like a Texas-specific flip of the hot sound of the moment. Besides, Drake often claims Texas to have been a heavy influence on him; why not let a Texan return the favor?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/TotbU952HNk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/TotbU952HNk</a>

more 2 come later

Heinz

Re: Hip-Hop's Doppelgangers Rappers Who Sound Like Other Rappers
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 12:18:34 AM »
Hindu Hack tried to steal King Kong Kesser's unique Daytonian swagger.
It was a short lived career and he quickly changed his style when he got called out for it.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 08:24:08 AM »
Hindu Hack tried to steal King Kong Kesser's unique Daytonian swagger.
It was a short lived career and he quickly changed his style when he got called out for it.

over for that crash test dummy. LOL
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »
back to the topic though bitin' is not and should not be allowed in hip hop at all.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

BIGWORM

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »
Kool G Rap's style has been used the most in hip hop and the artists that seem to use it are considered top tier...

Sccit

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 04:07:02 PM »
guerilla black and 2pac

MistaNova

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 04:55:13 PM »
Roscoe sounds like Kurupt.
Tha Realest sounds like 2Pac.
Drake sounds like Lil Wayne.
Everybody tries to sound like Drake.
Other people try to sound like Kanye West.
A lot of 90's rappers tried rapping like Rakim.

Rick Venom

• 'G'
  • WuTz GoOd NiGgA?
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2013, 05:02:24 PM »
ghostface killah and elano's mancrush
show me where did i said i live in Poland
want me to show u? ok.....

ICHI, WHAT COUNTRY U FROM?
im from Poland
LOL!

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2013, 05:57:13 PM »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2013, 05:58:36 PM »
Shyne sounded a lot like 2pac too.

and Tha Realest was a total Biggie copycat.

Heinz

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 01:10:57 AM »
Hack calling someone a copycat is about as ironic as Krazy calling someone a pervert.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 07:27:50 AM »
Hack calling someone a copycat is about as ironic as Krazy calling someone a pervert.

LOL

Jimmy H.

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »
back to the topic though bitin' is not and should not be allowed in hip hop at all.
As long as there is money to be made, nothing is off limits in music. 

Sccit

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 11:38:21 AM »
tha realest sounds like klientel

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
Slick Rick came out first as Ricky D on Doug E. Fresh's the Show. But Dana Dane and Slick Rick actually use to be in the same group pre-fame. So they ended up sounding alike, but Slick Rick had the British accent and Dana Dane added an accent later. Not sure who influenced who, but considering Dana Dane borrowed Rick's British accent, I'd say Rick influenced Dana Dane. But since both were cool with each other, did it matter?