Author Topic: where does mike dean fall into the greatest hip hop producers of all times list  (Read 1634 times)

Sccit

whatever he did, whether u say he stole them beats or not, it stili goes on his resume n thats all we can really judge him on...u cant tell me how 2 win

what is dazs signature sound...an amalgamation of what warren g and quik and dre was doing?

exactly...a more gangsta version of that.

if u wanna know what signature daz sound is witout the co-production, check beats like "fresh" and "cwalk" by kurupt. simple, but effective.....cuts like "the ultimate come-up", thats signature daz. when i heard "my life" by TI, i could tell it was daz right off the bat....u gotta give credit where it's due mayn

my life id wager was more shorty b then daz....id put my last blunt on that as well as c walk being a soopafly production.

when its daz by himself it just dont sound like anything worth remembering. i feel shitty about it too....as a young buck i idolized his beats the first time i ever got studio access i was trying to lay down dazish beats with the moog synth and shit but as i got older i realized that sound was really more like the sound of the studio daz was working out of and the session players he had access too.

we both know his shit will NEVER in a million years sound as dynamic as it used to....unless you get barbey rubble and butch smalls n them in there its gonna be poop. everytime.

it'll never sound the same cuz he dont got that death row budget....million dollar equipment wit musicians out the ass on payroll..

and this my friend, brings us back to our original point....dean can get that clean epic big money sound with minimal studio equipment and no one else in that room but him and the nigga rocking in the mic.

thats cool n all, but gimme a top-notch daz production from the death row era over a top-notch mike dean beat any day

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
we still may have not even seen deans greatest work.

i dont think daz will ever top ambitions as a rider...WHICH i do actually believe he produced.

bouli77

Daz does have a signature sound, heavy bass with faint, eerie synth, like on My Life, Rat Tat Tat, It's Goin Down, Ambitionz Az A Ridah, but I don't think he's the creative force behind the beats, at the end of the day he should get a co-producer credit. as shorty b said in a dubcc interview.

The kind of producer Shorty B is, Shorty B don’t go out when the electricity do! Like once your drum machine cut off, then that’s it for you. Man, I’ma pick up a guitar, I can play the drums, or play anything else that make noise without no electricity I’ma play it and keep the party rockin’!! That’s a real producer! A cat who can keep the party rockin’ no matter what, electricity or not, all these cats are only as strong as their drum machines.

and that goes for producers like Mike Dean, Khayree, N.O. Joe, Mannie Fresh, Soopafly

Will B the video you say isn't really saying anything about Daz, if anything it validates Petey's thesis that Daz was only good for pounding out basic ass basslines and working the drum machine and letting the others do the rest and work their magic, that's really not a homage to Daz, he just mentions the guy.

thats cool n all, but gimme a top-notch daz production from the death row era over a top-notch mike dean beat any day

i understand that, but Mike Dean is still in his prime while Daz's prime lasted for 3 years, and hasn't come close since (even though i really like some of his recent stuff like Public Enemiez), and Mike Dean's stuff with Rap-a-Lot is really on par with Daz's Death Row music.

Will_B

To me it says even the most talented musicians can't make a hit 'genre' record like that without direction.

Even if you wanna chalk it down to luck, Daz laid the beats, and gave em the ideas and direction/told em what's sounding right. Made a jazz or rock musician deliver a Hiphop track