Author Topic: New Quik & Kurupt album in the works  (Read 3340 times)

Will_B

Re: New Quik & Kurupt album in the works
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »
i think petey was originally right when he said he felt the east coast disc was the one that was extremely sub-par

will, u just weird...ur the first person i heard say east coast disc>west coast disc. not just a regional thing, the west coast disc was far superior, either way

Didn't say it was better.

Said the West disc takes some time to find it's groove.., then (if u listen back to back) the East side just knocks.

It's a full body of work. It works well as a 2 disc, not out of context.

full body of average tracks (at best)

What do you consider average for a 1998 album?

I got it down as a 7/10 (3.5/5)

west coast disc is like 8/10, east coast disc bout 6.5/10

Don't see why you're objecting to a 7/10 score from me then.

cuz thats a 7/10 on the will scale..u sayin it's as good as regulate, bizarre ride, n reasonable doubt lol

Reasonable Doubt is pretty generic (but I know u like that)

Bizarre Ride & Regulate have dope singles and a lot of filler (commercial formula)

Kurupts album is original, he's a dope mc..half of its grimy (raww dogg assassin lol) he dropped some of his best non death row material on it. In 98 everyone was disappointed, but to me it's a dope listen. I'd rather have 2 discs with a couple weaker tracks than a so so 1 disc from him. The east/west coast concept works.

All are about the same for different reasons. ;)

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2013, 11:58:55 PM »
i think petey was originally right when he said he felt the east coast disc was the one that was extremely sub-par

will, u just weird...ur the first person i heard say east coast disc>west coast disc. not just a regional thing, the west coast disc was far superior, either way

Didn't say it was better.

Said the West disc takes some time to find it's groove.., then (if u listen back to back) the East side just knocks.

It's a full body of work. It works well as a 2 disc, not out of context.

full body of average tracks (at best)

What do you consider average for a 1998 album?

I got it down as a 7/10 (3.5/5)

west coast disc is like 8/10, east coast disc bout 6.5/10

Don't see why you're objecting to a 7/10 score from me then.

cuz thats a 7/10 on the will scale..u sayin it's as good as regulate, bizarre ride, n reasonable doubt lol

Reasonable Doubt is pretty generic (but I know u like that)

Bizarre Ride & Regulate have dope singles and a lot of filler (commercial formula)

Kurupts album is original, he's a dope mc..half of its grimy (raww dogg assassin lol) he dropped some of his best non death row material on it. In 98 everyone was disappointed, but to me it's a dope listen. I'd rather have 2 discs with a couple weaker tracks than a so so 1 disc from him. The east/west coast concept works.

All are about the same for different reasons. ;)

bizarre ride was never a formulaic record....thats what was so dope about it.

Fraxxx

« Reply #107 on: November 02, 2013, 02:34:40 AM »
Regulate have dope singles and a lot of filler

Okay now it's getting ridiculous. Where the fuck do you find lots of fillers on Regulate? And Ya Don't Stop Might not be great but I'd consider every other actual song on it more great than just good. Explain yaself!! :D
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Will_B

« Reply #108 on: November 02, 2013, 02:39:25 AM »

Okay now it's getting ridiculous. Where the fuck do you find lots of fillers on Regulate? And Ya Don't Stop Might not be great but I'd consider every other actual song on it more great than just good. Explain yaself!! :D

Meaning the 'lead track' or tracks on an album stand out a mile from the rest.

Nearly all commercial albums put all focus on the singles (and maybe the intro) and the rest of the album is a noticeably lesser quality - makes for an inconsistent listen

Will_B

« Reply #109 on: November 02, 2013, 02:45:19 AM »
bizarre ride was never a formulaic record....thats what was so dope about it.

The great Heinz (RIP) once described rap music as Afro Americans talking Ebonics to mathematic rhythms and beats

If thats all you want then Bizarre Ride is for you. You got some dope shit no doubt, but a lot of it is dudes yelling weak shit fast like a freestyle

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #110 on: November 02, 2013, 02:52:56 AM »
gtfohwtbs these dudes were writing some creative shit over backwords hendricks riffs and went pop with that shit...in an age when rap especially wc rap was known for being so notoriously misogynistic and violent toward women they crossed over with a track about getting dissed.

.....over backwards hendricks riffs.

do you really believe that garbage mate? or are you just backed in a corner by your own rating system?

:banana_trippin: :banana_trippin: :banana_trippin: :banana_trippin:

Will_B

« Reply #111 on: November 02, 2013, 02:59:00 AM »
gtfohwtbs these dudes were writing some creative shit over backwords hendricks riffs and went pop with that shit...in an age when rap especially wc rap was known for being so notoriously misogynistic and violent toward women they crossed over with a track about getting dissed.

I'm not saying 99% of Gangsta rap is better. You play me a Gansta album thats as good as Bizarre Ride and I'll give u pound P (no Euros)

Gimme the singles on Vinyl and I'll cherish them - the albums just not great

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #112 on: November 02, 2013, 03:19:15 AM »

I'm not saying 99% of Gangsta rap is better. You play me a Gansta album thats as good as Bizarre Ride and I'll give u pound P (no Euros)

Gimme the singles on Vinyl and I'll cherish them - the albums just not great

the album was so much greater then the singles although otha fish is one of my fave songs

the  jazzy interludes
classic skits (quintons on his way)
e swifts murky but yet somehow cheerful  jazzy prefunk
unique voices and deliveries
concepts and stories about everything from smoking weed with toddlers to having to make the decision to wake his girl up or beat off lmao its fun stuff.

this album was the equivalent to a westcoast midnight marauders your talking like it was a cookie cutter record and thats bullshit. no one else could have made that album.

Will_B

« Reply #113 on: November 02, 2013, 03:27:36 AM »
this album was the equivalent to a westcoast midnight marauders your talking like it was a cookie cutter record and thats bullshit. no one else could have made that album.

Midnight Marauders is way ahead of it

It got 'unique voices and deliveries' sure but it's about content backing them up and fleshing the record out

What u hearing is more of a certain hiphop aesthetic on the album, they just creating a soundscape.

Like grimy sound gets some heads goin, slick shit, jazzy shit, fonky shit, ignant G shit etc etc.

Fraxxx

« Reply #114 on: November 02, 2013, 03:38:35 AM »

Nearly all commercial albums put all focus on the singles (and maybe the intro) and the rest of the album is a noticeably lesser quality - makes for an inconsistent listen

Don't think so but thanks for clearing that up. Sounds a lot less questionable than "Regulate is full of fillers".
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Will_B

« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2013, 05:02:40 AM »

Don't think so but thanks for clearing that up. Sounds a lot less questionable than "Regulate is full of fillers".

Very unbalanced, but I'm clearly in the minority here

8/10
Regulate

This Is The Shack
Runnin Wit No Breaks

Super Soul Sis
This DJ
And Ya Don’t Stop

6.5/10
Do You See
Recognize
In So Many Ways
What’s Next

bouli77

« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2013, 01:12:57 PM »

Very unbalanced, but I'm clearly in the minority here

8/10
Regulate

This Is The Shack
Runnin Wit No Breaks

Super Soul Sis
This DJ
And Ya Don’t Stop

6.5/10
Do You See
Recognize
In So Many Ways
What’s Next

it's funny you give Do You See and So Many Ways 6.5 cause they're clearly among the best G-Funk tracks ever produced. Do You See is basically the best you will ever get from Warren G, so when that came out shit was mindblowing. Warren flipped that Mama Used To Say song (classic btw), and added a banging beat, while telling a compelling story. not the best story telling ever but shit was more entertaining that his abc nursery rhyme type of raps he displays on a lot of songs. if we're judging from a rap standpoint it's not that great but from a musical standpoint, meaning as a whole, shit is worth a good 8, that's what you'd expect from a classic g-funk song.

So Many Ways is kinda redundant lyrically and it's a good thing Wayniac chimes in to drop a verse but god damn the production is unreal. Warren G sampled that Cameo classic and tweaked the melody (unlike Sean T who made a different use (but also classic) of the sample for his single Get Gone), to me it's really one of the finest productions from Warren G. easily a 8 in terms of G-Funk. rapwise it's not very interesting but that's the type of orgasmic songs where the melody blows you away.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2013, 07:11:44 PM »
lol may bad

then yeah the first disc is compete garbage then.

u out ya mind, p

"c-walk", "fresh", "we can freak it", "ask yourself a question", "thats gangsta", "cant let that slide", "hos a housewife", "survive another day"......the west coast disc had some cuts.  east coast disc was average at best

hold up yall are trippin i remember opening up the cd and the east coast being the first disc i agree with all of you the west coast disk was superior in every way to the east coast disk.

wasnt the eastcoast disc 1?

Will_B

« Reply #118 on: November 03, 2013, 01:32:13 AM »
lol may bad

then yeah the first disc is compete garbage then.

u out ya mind, p

"c-walk", "fresh", "we can freak it", "ask yourself a question", "thats gangsta", "cant let that slide", "hos a housewife", "survive another day"......the west coast disc had some cuts.  east coast disc was average at best

hold up yall are trippin i remember opening up the cd and the east coast being the first disc i agree with all of you the west coast disk was superior in every way to the east coast disk.

wasnt the eastcoast disc 1?

Can be. Depends where it was in the case

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #119 on: November 03, 2013, 01:27:49 AM »
yall are right my pothead recollection was hazy maybe i assumed it was the first becasue its the first one i listened to when i bought it.

for some reason even though the production is all noteworthy like bouli i cant really ever get through the whole disc i skip around ffave tracks being the bonus track with gonzo
this ones for you and cwalk we can freak it was the joint but man it got so played out. and like bouli i can hardly tolerate him when hes not on his A game...

i dont understand how he cant find his old voice....his old mic presence. how does that happen to rappers? its like the confidence in his voice is just gone and he sounds so uninspired after streets is a motha