Author Topic: So it's been 1 year since GKMC dropped...  (Read 1475 times)

Okka

Re: So it's been 1 year since GKMC dropped...
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2013, 01:33:05 PM »
Love the storyline it followed but for me Section 80>GKMC

Yeah, i agree with you. Both albums are dope though.

Sccit

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »
Rap album if the year 8/10

Excellent concept and execution, something all to rare in the genre

lol so u raised ur rating now and have it at a full point higher than "regulate", "reasonable doubt", and "bizarre ride 2 the pharcyde"?

the album was good, like a few others said, but not groundbreaking like many people acted.

It's better than good, and while not exactly groundbreaking...nothing else sounds like it

A lot of the music from 2012 has a similar sound

Will_B

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, 10:58:00 PM »

lol so u raised ur rating now and have it at a full point higher than "regulate", "reasonable doubt", and "bizarre ride 2 the pharcyde"?

the album was good, like a few others said, but not groundbreaking like many people acted.

It's better than good, and while not exactly groundbreaking...nothing else sounds like it

I'm talking bout the whole thing, not just the beats

Sccit

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2013, 12:21:14 AM »

the subject matter and cohesiveness of the overall album is far better than overall style of production, yes...still, a lot sound like it. for instance, andre 3000, drake, tech n9ne, and devin the dude gumbo....sayin "nothing else sounds like it" is a stretch, because there is a lot of borrowing goin on.

Will_B

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2013, 01:15:44 AM »

the subject matter and cohesiveness of the overall album is far better than overall style of production, yes...still, a lot sound like it. for instance, andre 3000, drake, tech n9ne, and devin the dude gumbo....sayin "nothing else sounds like it" is a stretch, because there is a lot of borrowing goin on.

Everything in music has been done before

GKMC is neither copycat or generic. Laughable to see him compared to Tech n Devin, what u smokin on

Sccit

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2013, 07:35:21 AM »

GKMC is neither copycat or generic. Laughable to see him compared to Tech n Devin, what u smokin on

lol will, as much as u'd like 2 think u know ur shit, u really dont

some of the singin has elements of devin's classic style and the build up harmonized flow is straight jacked from tech n9ne...andre 3000, i dont even have to get into, and the song wit drake, it's almost hard to tell them apart at first listen....but u wouldnt understand, cuz u clearly lack the criteria to be considered a hip-hop head.

smokin on some good OG

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:29 AM »
A "New" Classic

Fraxxx

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »
Still a great album to me, yes maybe a classic. To me the question is not if I still bump it regularly. Didn't listen to all the undisputed Westcoast classics in years.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2013, 08:52:47 AM »
Classic in the making
I slept on it the beginning but the shit was incredible.

He should've done a video for it tho kinda like Steets is Watching.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
classic to me.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2013, 10:00:30 AM »
It had its standout songs for sure. But had some sort of a "blah" factor here and there throughout the album.

But in the last year, he's propelled himself to the front line of the game and that's cool to see. Especially from someone whose album didn't have a "sellout" sound. 

Will_B

« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2013, 10:23:50 AM »

some of the singin has elements of devin's classic style and the build up harmonized flow is straight jacked from tech n9ne...andre 3000, i dont even have to get into, and the song wit drake, it's almost hard to tell them apart at first listen....but u wouldnt understand, cuz u clearly lack the criteria to be considered a hip-hop head.

smokin on some good OG

When you realise there's not one definitive opinion on hiphop you might elevate and enlighten yourself fam, and hopefully notice there's a world of music outside your comfort zone

bouli77

« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2013, 12:53:38 PM »
devin's style is too lackadaisical and irrespective of any technical consideration to be compared to kendrick's, who is very minute and precise in the way he constructs his verses. devin clearly doesn't give a fuck about the complexity of his verses and his rhyme schemes, and dude is just naturally entertaining. he just lays out his verse like that and speaks mostly about women, life and weed. kendrick does way more than that. just cause he kinda sings doesn't mean he bites devin, come on now.

kendrick's flow has nothing to do with drake's, their verses barely have anything in common on poetic justice.

as for tech n9ne and andre 3000 maybe but that's not blatant ripoff, more like influences. it's okay to have influences as long as you have your own style (we could cite eminem being influenced by Masta Ace which is clearly recognizable in the way he raps, that doesn't mean he bit Ace), which Kendrick definitely does : the nerdy street poet with odd subject matters and intricate rhyme schemes

it's safe to say that nothing sounds like kendrick, he's as peculiar as tyler the creator. they're similar (although sounding very different) in the sense that they both embody this new rapper wave of late 80's and 90's (even 00's) babies being born in this consumer society and who incorporate nerdy elements into street culture. when you heard socal youngins rappin in the 90's and early 00's it was all about gang banging, even the "alternative" LA Sound (busdriver, ellay khule, project blowed, peeps from the good life café) talked about gangbanging cause that was their culture. now Kendrick also deals with such subjects heavily in GKMC (see the two title tracks, the art of peer pressure, sherane aka...) but it's more than that.

But in the last year, he's propelled himself to the front line of the game and that's cool to see. Especially from someone whose album didn't have a "sellout" sound.

exactly, TDE is a very respectable label and it's good to see that they succeeded without having to switch.

Sccit

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, 10:50:02 AM »

smokin on some good OG

When you realise there's not one definitive opinion on hiphop you might elevate and enlighten yourself fam, and hopefully notice there's a world of music outside your comfort zone

lol, theres also basketball and horse racing, but that aint what we talkin about, is it, will? ur fakeass elitist attitude gotta go, brobro....there are accepted notions in hip-hop, such as 2pac and rakim being a couple of the GOATs, the chornic and illmatic bein a undisputed classics, and streetz az a mutha bein better than same day, different shit is one of em too.......knowing that is what separates hip-hop heads from casual rap fans. i wanna give u the benefit of the doubt and say that ur judgement is skewed from livin overseas, but then theres all the euros on here like bouli77 who i'd consider hip-hop heads, so that excuse dont fly

Sccit

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »
devin's style is too lackadaisical and irrespective of any technical consideration to be compared to kendrick's, who is very minute and precise in the way he constructs his verses. devin clearly doesn't give a fuck about the complexity of his verses and his rhyme schemes, and dude is just naturally entertaining. he just lays out his verse like that and speaks mostly about women, life and weed. kendrick does way more than that. just cause he kinda sings doesn't mean he bites devin, come on now.

kendrick's flow has nothing to do with drake's, their verses barely have anything in common on poetic justice.

as for tech n9ne and andre 3000 maybe but that's not blatant ripoff, more like influences. it's okay to have influences as long as you have your own style (we could cite eminem being influenced by Masta Ace which is clearly recognizable in the way he raps, that doesn't mean he bit Ace), which Kendrick definitely does : the nerdy street poet with odd subject matters and intricate rhyme schemes

it's safe to say that nothing sounds like kendrick, he's as peculiar as tyler the creator. they're similar (although sounding very different) in the sense that they both embody this new rapper wave of late 80's and 90's (even 00's) babies being born in this consumer society and who incorporate nerdy elements into street culture. when you heard socal youngins rappin in the 90's and early 00's it was all about gang banging, even the "alternative" LA Sound (busdriver, ellay khule, project blowed, peeps from the good life café) talked about gangbanging cause that was their culture. now Kendrick also deals with such subjects heavily in GKMC (see the two title tracks, the art of peer pressure, sherane aka...) but it's more than that.

exactly, TDE is a very respectable label and it's good to see that they succeeded without having to switch.

obviously, kendrick is a superior lyricist to devin and has better technical skills, but his soul on the mic aint half of what devin's is. that wasnt my point, tho...what i was gettin at was that the "singy song" rap voice he uses from time to time does resemble elements of devin's. listen to "bitch dont kill my vibe" again and think about devin while u doin it.... kendrick does also do the nasal drake voice/stretchin out of the words from time to time, dont see how this isnt obvious?

and yea, kendrick has developed his own style, no doubt, but my point was that he's far from 100% original and saying nothing sounds like his shit is a stretch.