Author Topic: Hallowed Be THY Name  (Read 910 times)

Heinz

Hallowed Be THY Name
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:00:11 AM »
We are all given names at birth and our names define and identify who we are, perhaps more than we ourselves realize.
Many people react negatively and think/say what on earth was wrong with my parents for naming me Heinz.
They are of course ignorant about the meaning of my name and also the reason why I was given it.

The meaning:

Heinz is a german version of the english name John. John is a version of the greek name Iōánnēs (Johannes),
which in turn comes from the hebrew name Yôḥanan and means:
"Graced by YHWH"

The reason:

My grandparents (rest in peace) escaped the nazi's during WW2 with the aid of a german soldier named Heinz Wolfgang Kesser.
When they arrived in the US they decided to take his surname to honor his deed and so that my family would remember him.
As my mother (rest in peace) had grown up hearing the story of how Heinz saved her parents bloodline from extinction so she decided to name me, her firstborn, after him.
In addition I was given the hebrew middle name Ephraim, meaning "fruitful".
My younger brother was given the name Wolfgang (path of the wolf) which was the soldiers middle name.
Wolfgangs hebrew middle name is Ezekiel (G_d strengthens) after the prophet.

I am honored to carry a name as meaningful as mine.

Feel free to share the story of your name and how it defines you.
Do you like your name or would you like to change it?

BabyBird

Re: Hallowed Be THY Name
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:11:04 PM »
 ???

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »

<<< means "God's light" 8)

Heinz

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:52:30 PM »

<<< means "God's light" 8)

You have a strong name Elior.
Do you know why your parents chose it for you?

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
Based on a Hebrew song and a combo of my grandparents name

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 08:16:43 AM »

Amen to that, what a story behind your name. I have read about German soldiers coming to the aid of jews before, similarly, I have read of accounts of russian soldiers who were so horrified by the suffering which the evil bolshevik dictatorship had imposed upon the Ukranians that despite knowing the consequences that their actions would have, came to the aid of these people, knowing their lives would be taken for it.

Now that is not stupidity, in a sense it's not even bravery, it's exhibiting what we humans should be displaying and that's compassion and empathy for our fellow human beings. Once you get past the fear of death, there is nothing left to fear. Having said that of course, my worst nightmare would be to be subject to torture, quick death I can handle but torture, that's on a whole new level.

Heinz

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 08:57:34 AM »

Amen to that, what a story behind your name. I have read about German soldiers coming to the aid of jews before, similarly, I have read of accounts of russian soldiers who were so horrified by the suffering which the evil bolshevik dictatorship had imposed upon the Ukranians that despite knowing the consequences that their actions would have, came to the aid of these people, knowing their lives would be taken for it.

Now that is not stupidity, in a sense it's not even bravery, it's exhibiting what we humans should be displaying and that's compassion and empathy for our fellow human beings. Once you get past the fear of death, there is nothing left to fear. Having said that of course, my worst nightmare would be to be subject to torture, quick death I can handle but torture, that's on a whole new level.

The correct description would be a couragious act I believe.
Then you move from your heart and not the mind regardless of the consequences.

What is the story of your name, care to share it?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 09:16:50 AM »

Courage is indeed the right description to describe an action which puts aside the self and pours scorn on this disgusting notion that altruistic actions do not exist.
My name? ever since I have been almost knee high I have been passionate about the truth, about what is right and wrong and not accept or apologise that right and wrong are not concepts which can be randomly substituted for one another. This of course culminated in me having many so called intellectual debates/conversations/arguments in different circles and in truth has led to me being something of a likeable person on the one hand but a conscious decision to not bite my tongue has also led to people shying away from me or even criticising me for disagreeing with them. The simplistic notion put forth is that I should simply agree in order to maintain group harmony, but to acquiesce like that would be to engage in passive complicity. I have received plaudits before for the writing I have undertaken in a number of fields too, so the combination of virtuous and ability in a given field, led to the name virtuoso. It is a strong, powerful name and furthermore is one which goes beyond being recognised by just English speakers i.e. the Spanish and the Portugese have a very similar word so it has been an interesting conversation starter on other forums too.

Heinz

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 09:22:37 AM »
I meant your given name not your forum alias.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:35:04 AM »

I know, but I thought I would cover both bases : )

My name is David, obviously everyone is aware of the hebrew origins of said name and is one of the most commonly held names here in England. 

I think I am the first David in my family and was given the name because (according to my mum) she knew I was going to be a very kind person who would go out of their way for others.

My name does not carry with it the very pertinent meanings of your's, that's for sure, within you, his name lives on. You carry with you a sense of history, I just carry with me a name without a particular context to it.

Fraxxx

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »

I have read of accounts of russian soldiers who were so horrified by the suffering which the evil bolshevik dictatorship had imposed upon the Ukranians that despite knowing the consequences that their actions would have, came to the aid of these people, knowing their lives would be taken for it.

And that is pretty much all it would need to end a good amount of the self-inflicted, damaging acts of mankind against itself.  :laugh: But that ship sailed a long time ago, we're already too deep down the drain.

A warming thought, nevertheless.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

Heinz

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 11:07:31 AM »

I know, but I thought I would cover both bases : )

My name is David, obviously everyone is aware of the hebrew origins of said name and is one of the most commonly held names here in England. 

I think I am the first David in my family and was given the name because (according to my mum) she knew I was going to be a very kind person who would go out of their way for others.

My name does not carry with it the very pertinent meanings of your's, that's for sure, within you, his name lives on. You carry with you a sense of history, I just carry with me a name without a particular context to it.

Nice to know your real name David.
You make better sense to me as a person now, observing your intellectual thirst and quest for righteousness.
Every single David I have known have been ahead of most intellectually. More than one have been skillful chessplayers as well.
They have also seemed to enjoy their own company more than the average person, not sure if this is true in your case?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »

Just to clarify I was not talking about my immediate family, but including my cousins too in saying I am the only David. As for your question, there are definitely times where I appreciate being with my own thoughts and definitely came to the realisation only a few years into my teenage years or perhaps a little older than that, that there were distinct groups of people I did not wish to associate myself with because I couldn't relate to them and it's likely of course that conversely the same was true for them. I have tempered my need to understand every situation, every concept, every facet of something and have allowed television to become my soma at times which is not good I guess but.......is a world away from the pills which people swallow to try and escape reality and we all need a bit of escapism.

Heinz

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »

Just to clarify I was not talking about my immediate family, but including my cousins too in saying I am the only David. As for your question, there are definitely times where I appreciate being with my own thoughts and definitely came to the realisation only a few years into my teenage years or perhaps a little older than that, that there were distinct groups of people I did not wish to associate myself with because I couldn't relate to them and it's likely of course that conversely the same was true for them. I have tempered my need to understand every situation, every concept, every facet of something and have allowed television to become my soma at times which is not good I guess but.......is a world away from the pills which people swallow to try and escape reality and we all need a bit of escapism.

I hear you on the human need for escapism.
Let me ask you a question:
If you could recommend me a book which one would it be?

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 02:35:54 PM »
There are a few books which instantly spring to mind, web of deceit was a book written by Mark Curtis, which was a real eye opener for me in terms of lifting the lid on what politics was really about, the shock doctrine from Naomi Klein (whilst I disagree with some of her broader political stances) it's nonetheless a very powerful, pertinent book and in terms of both a brilliant piece of fictional literature and a chilling insight into the world we are evolving in, i have yet to find anything which beats the brilliance of Orwell's 1984.

Likewise, the same question to you?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:38:34 PM by virtuoso »