Author Topic: [20years ago] Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle (1993)  (Read 977 times)

donfathaimmortal

[20years ago] Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle (1993)
« on: November 22, 2013, 03:33:37 AM »
http://www.dubcnn.com/2013/11/23/20-years-on-snoop-doggy-doggs-doggystyle-stream-lp-leftovers-photos-more/

L.A. Times - 11/21/1993 - This is his very first album, but at this point Snoop Doggy Dogg may be the most famous rapper in the world. He has been on the cover of every music publication worth its ink, his escapades (some nefarious) are notorious, and his new video has been the most-requested on MTV for the last few weeks, despite the fact that he had not so much as a single out.

The much-delayed "Doggy Style"--the most anticipated rap album in history for nearly two-thirds of the year--delivers. Snoop's rhymes may not be especially clever, at least not compared to Ice Cube's or Chuck D.'s; his virtuosity is nothing like LL Cool J's or the D.O.C.'s, but no rapper has ever occupied a beat the way Snoop does, sliding around corners, lounging on the syncopations, slipping into the cracks and crevices of the grooves.

On "What's My Name?," Snoop raps over bits and echoes of half a dozen George Clinton songs filtered and pumped and rolled into a ball that sounds quite unlike anything P-Funk ever did but is inseparable from it, and he combines strains of every rap he did on Dr. Dre's album into something else altogether, postmodernism made flesh. Here is possibly the first post-mortem hip-hop song in history, spookily rapped from the wrong side of a drive-by shooting.

And Dre's production takes hip-hop to another level, organic yet relentless, the air alive with sleigh bells, sighs, countermelodies, wisps of Temptations-style backing vocals and low-mixed call-and-response that seems to float in from the ether, as if all the world were an old soul song: one cut even features soul-chestnut backup from the Dramatics, with the only possible lyrics consisting of the words "Snoop Doggy Dogg." Awesome.

01. Bathrub
(additional vocals : Warren G)
02. G Funk Intro
(featuring The Lady Of Rage)
(additional vocals : George Clinton)
(produced by : Dr Dre)
03. Gin And Juice
(additional vocals : Dat Nigga Daz, David Ruffin Jr)
04. W Balls
(additional vocals : Ricky Harris, Queen Of Funk)
05. Tha Shiznit
06. Domino
07. Lodi Dodi
(additional vocals : Nancy Fletcher)
08. Murder Was The Case (DeathAfterVisualizingEternity)
(additional vocals : Dat Nigga Daz)
09. Serial Killa
(featuring RBX, Tha Dogg Pound)
(additional vocals : The DOC)
(produced by : Dr Dre, Dat Nigga Daz)
10. Who Am I (What’s My Name ?)
(additional vocals : Dr Dre, Jewell, Tony Green)
11. For All My Niggaz And Bitches
(featuring Tha Dogg Pound, The Lady Of Rage)
12. Ain’t No Fun (If The Homies Cant Have None)
(featuring Kurupt, Warren G, Nate Dogg)
13. Chronic Relief
14. Doggy Dogg World
(featuring Tha Dogg Pound, The Dramatics)
(produced by : Chris The Glove Taylor)
15. Class Room
(vocals : Lil Bow Wow)
16. Gz And Hustlas
17. Checkin
(additional vocals : Sam Sneed)
18. Gz Up, Hoes Down
(additional vocals : Hugg)
19. Pump Pump
(featuring Lil Hershey Loc)

Mixed by : Dr Dre, Chris The Glove Taylor
Recorded at : The Village Recorder, The Complex, Trax, Larrabee North, Larrabee West, The Enterprise

Executive-Producer : Suge Knight
Art Direction : Kimberly Holt, Unleashed
Artwork : Darryl "Joe Cool" Daniel
Management : Sharitha Knight for Knightlife Management
Mastered by : Bernie Grundman
Release date : November 23, 1993

THA SAMPLES : http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=305855.0
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 08:50:42 AM by Rud »
The spot got shook, it was hell below | Is that Futureshock ?? | Hell, no, it's Death Row !

kuruptDPG

Re: [20years ago] Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle (1993)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 05:30:59 AM »
06. Domino
13. Chronic Relief
15. Class Room
17. Checkin

any info on these songs?

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 05:38:34 AM »
Thanks for uploading this man!
Damn times flies. I remember the day I bought it like it was yesterday. I was still hyped up from The Chronic when I went to my local record store to pick up this masterpiece.
And I also picked up all the single releases with those funky ass alternate versions like the 8 min. Extended Club Mix of What´s My Name, the cool Gin & Juice Laid Back Mix or that smooth Doggy Dogg World Perfecto Mix (explicit only available at the 12").
And then you have those dope ass videos!! Doggy Dogg World is still one of my favorite music videos of all time. Oh wee, 20 years ago.... and don´t forget that different prints. Some with Gz Up Hoes Down on it, some not. Some with Next Epsiode printed on it and all that.
Haha, I´m getting nostalgic right now. 8)

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 05:41:09 AM »
06. Domino
13. Chronic Relief
15. Class Room
17. Checkin

any info on these songs?

These were only the skits you already hear on the album. No songs man.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:53 AM »
props for posting 8)

I remember buying both the cassette tape and CD the day it came out in '93, both with Gz up hoes down

_That_Cracka_J

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Nintendo Entertainment System
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:46 AM »
06. Domino
13. Chronic Relief
15. Class Room
17. Checkin

any info on these songs?

LOL

polepositon

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 11:41:30 AM »
Lodi dodi. The good ole days.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 11:44:12 AM »
Thanks for uploading this man!
Damn times flies. I remember the day I bought it like it was yesterday. I was still hyped up from The Chronic when I went to my local record store to pick up this masterpiece.
And I also picked up all the single releases with those funky ass alternate versions like the 8 min. Extended Club Mix of What´s My Name, the cool Gin & Juice Laid Back Mix or that smooth Doggy Dogg World Perfecto Mix (explicit only available at the 12").
And then you have those dope ass videos!! Doggy Dogg World is still one of my favorite music videos of all time. Oh wee, 20 years ago.... and don´t forget that different prints. Some with Gz Up Hoes Down on it, some not. Some with Next Epsiode printed on it and all that.
Haha, I´m getting nostalgic right now. 8)

I definitely share your sentiments bro.  8)
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

The Predator

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
This was one of the most anticipated albums ever.

Nostalgic uploads.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:08:55 PM by The Predator »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 08:08:05 PM »
By far the most disrespected classic in all of hip-hop.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 09:41:01 PM »
By far the most disrespected classic in all of hip-hop.

Disrespected? I find it comes up in almost everyone's Top 5. Absolutely in mine.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, 12:55:36 AM »
Yeah, not following you at all with that comment, Boog.  Care to explain?

The Predator

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2013, 03:25:56 AM »
New XXL article:

A Look Back At Snoop Dogg’s ‘Doggystyle’ 20 Years Later

Twenty years ago when Snoop Doggy Dogg’s raw debut Doggystyle (Death Row) was released, people were fiending for the latest dose of “G-funk” music as though it were a new street drug. In the same way folks today stand on line waiting for the latest PlayStation or smart phone to go on sale, hip-hop heads rushed record shops across the country on November 23, 1993 to buy Doggystyle. Never mind what the Wu-Tang Clan, A Tribe Called Quest or any other “East Coast” artists were doing back then; that Autumn day it was all about the West.

Snoop, recruited by former Ruthless Records producer Dr. Dre—the two were introduced by Snoop’s step-brother Warren G—was a 21-year-old kid when he appeared on the “Deep Cover” soundtrack single the year before. The “Deep Cover” single was also the introduction of the G-funk era. As the title track to a crime flick starring Laurence Fishburne and directed by Bill Duke, the song became more popular than the movie itself. Funky as a baby’s diaper, Dre sampled Sly Stone (“Sing a Simple Song”) and the Undisputed Truth (“[I Know] I’m Losing You”) to create one of the coolest movie jams since the days of Shaft, Super Fly and, Snoop’s cinematic hero, The Mack. “Deep Cover” also courted controversy when many listeners wanted to believe that Snoop’s sinister sounding lyrics about a “187 on an undercover cop,” which translated to “a dead cop on the scene,” was something the blue-wearing Crip-affiliated rapper might do for real.

Certainly, though Snoop was a church goin’ boy when he was a youngster, he had been titillated by the hustler aesthetic for years. In 1999, while Snoop and I chilled in his studio, he confessed, “There was a bar where all the Long Beach hustlers hung out. All you could see was Cadillacs and brothers flashing jewelry and wearing fly shades. I thought those were the baddest motherfuckers on the planet, and I wanted to be just like them.”

While “Deep Cover” served as the perfect introduction to the Southern drawl of Dogg, whose family moved to the Promised Land of California from Mississippi, the song was only a prelude to the simultaneously gritty and funny journeys detailed on Dr. Dre’s The Chronic a few months later. Friends and labelmates Daz Dillinger, Kurupt, Nanci Fletcher, RBX, Jewell, Lady of Rage, Warren G and the late ghetto harmonizer Nate Dogg were also a part of the G-funk experience.

Snoop played a prominent role on The Chronic, and less than a year later he was in the motherfuckin’ house with his own album. “Those guys single-handedly redirected hip-hop over to the West Coast,” says Kevin Powell, president and co-founder of BK Nation. “The mega-success of Dr. Dre’s The Chronic, of which Snoop was clearly the star rapper, made Doggystyle a must-have product.”

Two months before the release of Snoop’s album, Powell, then a full-time hip-hop journalist who would do a series of distinguished features on Death Row, interviewed the towering 6’ 4” rapper for Vibe magazine’s premiere issue, which featured the Dogg on the cover. “It started with Dre’s group N.W.A., and also solo acts like Ice-T and Ice Cube, but with The Chronic and then Snoop’s Doggystyle, the West Coast solidified its place as a powerful part of the national hip-hop conversation,” he says.

Influenced by the flow and storytelling abilities of Slick Rick, who he covered on the song “Lodi Dodi,” the young rapper couldn’t wait to start painting verbal pictures of his community: the various hood rats, “Rollin down the street, smokin’ indo,” drug dealing, gat shooting homies (“Murder Was the Case”), gold diggin’ girlies and broke boys guzzling 40 oz brews (“Ain’t No Fun If the Homies Can’t Have None”).

For many of us who had come of age in the late-1980s, when Dr. Dre first arrived onto the scene with N.W.A. on the crazed Straight Outta Compton (1988), he had already proven himself a dazzling sonic force. Collaborating with group members Eazy-E, who was also the co-owner of Ruthless Records, and Ice Cube, MC Ren and DJ Yella, their brutal songs “Fuck the Police” and “Gangsta Gangsta” propelled them to stardom without much radio play.

However, when his money got funny in 1991, Dre hooked-up with a Blood-inspired devil named Suge Knight and went on to create Death Row Records. In the end, a few years later, it would all crumple like dirt; Tupac, who joined them in 1994, would be slain, Suge would be locked up, and Dre and Snoop would be fearing for their lives.

Yet in the beginning, when Death Row was all sweet, all honey, the former choir boy named Calvin Broadus (whose mama called him Snoopy) was on his way to becoming a superstar. As Oliver Wang says, “‘Deep Cover’ was the tease, The Chronic was the intro, but Doggystyle was the confirmation.”

Two decades after Doggystyle dropped from the hip-hop heavens onto a “highly anticipating” public, rap music connoisseurs who still hear the freshness of Dre’s funky soundscape have called the record a “sonic masterpiece.” While others blast the man for using too much old school funk in his tracks, as though he were keeping George Clinton and Zapp chained in the basement, others are secure in their beliefs that Dre was simply a genius.

“Snoop and Dre took a lot of flak for initiating all kinds of G-funk clones in their wake but that’s like blaming Tribe for inspiring all kinds of mediocre jazz-hop clones to emerge after them,” Oliver Wang says.

From the offices of BK Nation, Kevin Powell adds, “When you listen to Doggystyle you hear the incredible history of Black music with the beats Snoop and his guests are rhyming or singing over,” Kevin Powell says. “It is like a musical journey through classic soul and R&B and gut-bucket funk.” Later, from his apartment in Brooklyn, he thinks back to that era fondly. ”The fact that The Dramatics are guests on the title track, or that David Ruffin, Jr., son of the legendary Temptations singer, sings the hook on ‘Gin and Juice,’ is pure genius. Back in 1993 there was still a level of sampling and searching for the roots of Black music that was very evident in discs like Doggystyle. And a great respect for the music that had come before.”

But though they respected the music, Dre, Snoop and the boyz in the hood that appeared on Doggystyle had a real problem with women. Looking at the crudely drawn cover, a sexist take-off of Pedro Bell’s bizarro Parliament/Funkadelic art illustrated by Snoop’s cuz Joe Cool, we see a female dog bent over, her head inside the dog house as she waits to be boned. Meanwhile, the lyrics on the songs and skits was more than some female fans could take.

“I don’t think I ever made it through the whole Doggystyle album,” says feminist writer fayemi shakur. “As a girl who loves hip-hop, it was just too hard on my ears. I wasn’t surprised when Dolores Tucker and other black leaders stomped all over gangsta rap and music degrading to women. On the flip side, Snoop introduced us to Lady of Rage (“G Funk Intro”)  and she was badass.”

Yet, as Kevin Powell points out, misogyny  was only the beginning of Snoop’s bad behavior. “Doggystyle helped to further normalize the N word in hip-hop, the love of drugs and liquor, as well as the reckless disrespect for women,” he says. “No one album did that by itself, but Doggystyle helped to spread a trend that we have now, unfortunately, been stuck with for two decades. Nothing wrong with reflecting what is going on in the hood. We should. Nevertheless, there is something wrong when there is no balance to all the negativity.”

Since its release in 1993, Doggystyle has joined the canon of wonderful California classics that includes Pet Sounds (the Beach Boys), Rumors (Fleetwood Mac) and the disco singles of Barry White. Twenty years later, Snoop and Dre’s songs “Who Am I (What’s My Name”), “Doggy Dog World” and “Gin and Juice” sound as fresh as they did back in the day.

Without a doubt those Doggystyle songs are played regularly at weddings and wakes, birthday parties and Bar Mitzvahs. “Doggystyle gave Snoop a permanent place in hip-hop history,” Kevin Powell says. “You cannot discuss hip-hop of the 1990s in general, or the West Coast specifically, without discussing Snoop Dogg.” —Michael Gonzales
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 03:28:40 AM by The Predator »

BlueSwan

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2013, 04:31:24 AM »
This was the album that got me into hip-hop in late 1993 (or early 1994). I was 18/19 years old at the time and studying at an american college for a year (I'm from Denmark). At the time, I mostly listened to synth-pop and dance music. Sure, there had been plenty of hip-hop tracks that I had liked (most notably Ice Cube's "It Was A Good Day") but not to the point of me ever investing in a full hip-hop album. But Snoop was big at the dorm. Loads of people were playing Doggystyle and I loved it. I was particularly taken by Gin & Juice and Murder Was The Case in the beginning. So I bought the album and quickly also bought The Chronic. To this day both of those albums are amongst my top 5 hip-hop albums of all time.

I still got love for Snoop. His style is unique. His voice is unique. He's got great mic presence even if he otherwise fell off hard.

The Predator

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2013, 10:38:18 AM »
Ahaha...

Where were you twenty years ago today? If you are a human being on the planet earth, and you were alive twenty years ago today, chances are you were cruising the streets of Los Angeles in convertable, with a cup of gin and juice in whichever hand was not holding the steering wheel and a joint hanging out of your mouth. Because that's pretty much what every person in the whole world was doing November 23, 1993. Metaphorically at least. Because that's the day that Snoop Doggy Dogg's debut album Doggystyle came out. And doggystyle pretty much became the whole world's style that day.

The year before, Dr. Dre's The Chronic had revolutionized rap. Ushering in the "g-funk era," setting the sonic blueprint for the entire genre for years to come, and, no less importantly, making a tall, lanky 21-year-old from Long Beach, California a star. Snoop Doggy Dogg was his name (that and Calvin Cordozar Broadus), as he reminded us again and again, in his butter-smooth, mellifluous voice—a more melodic instrument than any rapper's voice had ever been before. And, once he "went solo on that ass," and sold five million copies of Doggystyle, no one would ever forget it.

In celebration of this important date in rap history, the good folks as Complex TV helped us make a special doggystyle birthday present. It's a video version of the album (abridged) starring dogs. Please make sure the woofers in your speakers are in good working order. And enjoy.