Author Topic: Hacker claims to have jailbroken PlayStation 4 to play pirated games  (Read 137 times)

aerroc

A hacker called Reckz0r appears to have raised the ire of the mighty Sony corporation, after he published what appears to be a way to jailbreak the new PlayStation 4 to play pirated games.

In a PasteBin post about the alleged jailbreak, Reckz0r referred to the case of George Hotz (aka “GeoHot”), the notorious hacker who managed to crack the PlayStation 3 and ended up on the sharp end of legal action from Sony, resulting in his agreeing never to hack one of the comnpany’s products again.

PlayStation 4Many felt that Sony’s behaviour in that case was heavy-handed, and it wasn’t perhaps that surprising when the entertainment giant suffered from a series of hacks which drove its PlayStation Network offline, its corporate websites defaced, and saw millions of customers have their personal information stolen.

According to Reckz0r’s post, he says he did not himself find the vulnerability in the PlayStation 4 (which runs Orbis OS, a modified version of FreeBSD) or create the exploit. Instead he credits a Brazilian console-hacking forum.

What Reckz0r does do, however, is provide what he claims is a simple tutorial on how anyone can jailbreak their PlayStation 4.

As you all know, PS4 runs Orbis OS, that is highly based on FreeBSD (which is a opensource operating system), and as the PS4 is closely identical to a PC, I guess you all knew that PS4 and the Xbox One will probably end up getting pwned soon, and now..its time.

Does Reckz0r’s jailbreak guide actually work? I’m afraid I can’t confirm that. The PlayStation 4 is sold out in many stores, and I certainly don’t have one.

As you can probably imagine, such developments (if true) are not likely to go down well at Sony.

Reckz0r posted a screenshot of what appeared to be a conversation he had with the official PlayStation Twitter account, via direct message.

If the screenshot is to be believed, PlayStation appears displeased by his antics and adopts an angry tone:

No? We’re giving you one day, to delete that PasteBin link you have recently posted, alongside with the files if you have uploaded them somewhere.

It won’t take us long to get you arrested if you’re still going to proceed spreading the jailbreak. :) Take the Geohotz sceanario as an example.

Wherever you stand on the debate of whether people should be able to jailbreak their home entertainment devices, one thing is for sure.

Hackers really don’t like Sony.

KrazySumwhat

Re: Hacker claims to have jailbroken PlayStation 4 to play pirated games
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 02:40:22 AM »
 Aint that a bitch.