Author Topic: MLB Report: Robinson Cano Signs With Seattle Mariners (10 years, $240 million)  (Read 1690 times)

Hack Wilson - real

Yankees were 4th place last year with Cano and Granderson....they both got mad overpaid this off season.  You gotta move on and make the best decisions for both now and the future and watching Cano play until 41 for more money than Albert Pujols is retarded.

I'm sure I'll be crying myself to sleep 10 years from now.

I don't care about this from the view of a Mariner fan...you guys will have two all-star players at 2nd and pitcher and still finish 3rd/4th in the division over the length of this contract. 

Cano is one of my favorite players but it will be ugly watching him hit in that ballpark in his prime let alone at 41.

Remedy360

Yankees were 4th place last year with Cano and Granderson....they both got mad overpaid this off season.  You gotta move on and make the best decisions for both now and the future and watching Cano play until 41 for more money than Albert Pujols is retarded.

I'm sure I'll be crying myself to sleep 10 years from now.

I don't care about this from the view of a Mariner fan...you guys will have two all-star players at 2nd and pitcher and still finish 3rd/4th in the division over the length of this contract. 

lmao whatever you say

Hack Wilson - real

When was the last time the Mariners made the playoffs again?  Just be glad you got the Seahawks man...they are superbowl material.

Remedy360

When was the last time the Mariners made the playoffs again?  Just be glad you got the Seahawks man...they are superbowl material.

That's exactly it, you don't know anything about the organization or what's lead to all these shitty years so you're not really qualified to make predictions based on the next 10 years.

Hack Wilson - real

When was the last time the Mariners made the playoffs again?  Just be glad you got the Seahawks man...they are superbowl material.

That's exactly it, you don't know anything about the organization or what's lead to all these shitty years so you're not really qualified to make predictions based on the next 10 years.

I do know the answer, it was 2001 because we beat your teams asses in the playoffs despite you having the best record.  I was being a smartass with my reply.

The Seattle Sonics have a better shot at a championship over the next 10 years than the Mariners do lol

Remedy360

I do know the answer, it was 2001 because we beat your teams asses in the playoffs despite you having the best record.  I was being a smartass with my reply.

The Seattle Sonics have a better shot at a championship over the next 10 years than the Mariners do lol

I wasn't insinuating that you didn't actually know the last time. What I was getting at is the outsider sentiment of "ohh they haven't made the playoffs in x amount of years so it'll always be the same". It's not really logical.

Hack Wilson - real

I will respectfully agree to disagree that this is a bad deal.  However I certainly do not blame you for being excited as he is the best 2nd baseman right now and you guys need help.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Remedy, go fuck yourself & don't talk to me.

MistaNova

I'm not saying that bringing back Cano at that contract or bringing back Granderson at the deal he got would've been ideal for the Yankees.

What I am saying is that without Cano the McCann and Ellsbury signings were pointless. There's no middle-of-the-order threat in the Yankees lineup anymore and the old dinosaurs the Yankees chose to rely on can't be trusted. The Yankees moved on from Cano and Granderson to McCann and Ellsbury, and they're still horrible and doomed for a 4th place finish. They can't possibly compete with Boston and Tampa in the same division.

Remedy360

I will respectfully agree to disagree that this is a bad deal.  However I certainly do not blame you for being excited as he is the best 2nd baseman right now and you guys need help.

I'm not gonna argue and say I love the economics, but we needed to do this.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination

I'm not saying that bringing back Cano at that contract or bringing back Granderson at the deal he got would've been ideal for the Yankees.

What I am saying is that without Cano the McCann and Ellsbury signings were pointless. There's no middle-of-the-order threat in the Yankees lineup anymore and the old dinosaurs the Yankees chose to rely on can't be trusted. The Yankees moved on from Cano and Granderson to McCann and Ellsbury, and they're still horrible and doomed for a 4th place finish. They can't possibly compete with Boston and Tampa in the same division.

Agreed. And the problem to me isn't that they didn't overpay for Cano... the problem is they overpaid for Ellsbury and then decided to let Cano go.

Offering the best 2B in the game (not to mention their own homegrown talent) a $170 mill contract after giving out a $154 million deal to Ellsbury is borderline insulting. At first I thought Cashman was giving a starting price and was just trying to negotiate from there, but apparently he did not budge from his initial offer. We all know Cano wasn't exactly fantasizing about going to Seattle. He tried to use them as leverage but in the end Yankees never upped their offer even once.

I'm glad Seattle realized that their "developing talent" plan isn't working anymore though, so now it's time for them to go balls out and get David Price and another outfielder.

MistaNova

Well the deal is finalized. Cano will be sporting number 22.

I love how all of the bitter and idiotic Yankees fans (that's another reason why I want to renounce my Yankees fandom, 95% of their fanbase is fucking retarded) kept attacking Cano on social media sites for "abandoning his team and taking the money," yeah like the Yankees have never done that to other teams before ::).
I also liked this one article (I think it was on ESPN New York) where it said that "Jay-Z got Cano some more vacation time, in October" which is true, but ironically also would've been true if he had stayed with the Yankees.

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
Well the deal is finalized. Cano will be sporting number 22.

I love how all of the bitter and idiotic Yankees fans (that's another reason why I want to renounce my Yankees fandom, 95% of their fanbase is fucking retarded) kept attacking Cano on social media sites for "abandoning his team and taking the money," yeah like the Yankees have never done that to other teams before ::).
I also liked this one article (I think it was on ESPN New York) where it said that "Jay-Z got Cano some more vacation time, in October" which is true, but ironically also would've been true if he had stayed with the Yankees.

Yeah there was no way in hell Mariners would let Cano wear 24 lol. Seattle would've rioted if they did.

And yes Yankees suck and are only in a slightly better position than Mariners in terms of readiness to compete, but I guarantee in a couple years into this contract, if Seattle still isn't making the play-offs, this is going to be a premiere example of money being unable to buy happiness for Cano. Even tough Seattle has some of the best sports fans in the country, the franchise itself doesn't offer the same amount of spotlight and appreciation that Cano was getting with the Yanks and he's about to realize it soon. For someone who just made $240 mill, Cano didn't even look that elated in the press conference.

MistaNova

True, true.

I have to wonder though, if Cano had stayed with the Yankees would he have become the face of their franchise?
I'm asking this because we all know full well that no one's going to the face of that team until Derek no-range Jeter finally gets the fuck out. But assuming Jeter plays for at least 1 more year and Cano had resigned, he would be about 33 when he claims the throne. Not an ideal age to be when you become the face of the franchise. Would they have tried shifting the focus onto somebody younger?

And as much as I'd hate to pull this card, are the Yankees ready for a face of the franchise who isn't (in some capacity) a white man?

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
True, true.

I have to wonder though, if Cano had stayed with the Yankees would he have become the face of their franchise?
I'm asking this because we all know full well that no one's going to the face of that team until Derek no-range Jeter finally gets the fuck out. But assuming Jeter plays for at least 1 more year and Cano had resigned, he would be about 33 when he claims the throne. Not an ideal age to be when you become the face of the franchise. Would they have tried shifting the focus onto somebody younger?

And as much as I'd hate to pull this card, are the Yankees ready for a face of the franchise who isn't (in some capacity) a white man?

Yeah I don't think Cano is marketable enough either. Cano has got to be the least popular player to ever make a 200+ million deal in MLB history.

Speaking of your face of the franchise white players, did you know Yankees were going to draft Mike Trout had Angels not taken him at 25 that year (Yanks were 4 picks behind Angels)? Yanks and Angels were the only two teams sold on Trout. How perfect would that have been for Yankees? Getting a homegrown Jersey kid who ended up being the best player in the MLB in his fucking rookie year. It's a shame.

Here's an article about it.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-remember-hooked-mike-trout-angels-article-1.1115065