Author Topic: so whats the deal with the deathrow purchase?  (Read 1675 times)

tonyscarbones

• Muthafuckin' OG
so whats the deal with the deathrow purchase?
« on: December 07, 2013, 07:12:58 AM »
wideawake sold it and last i heard afeni was sueing the company that bought them out or whatever

so whats the latest

are we gonna get unreleased tracks or what

Okka

Re: so whats the deal with the deathrow purchase?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:51:19 AM »
There was a topic about this like few days ago. I don't think anybody knows what's goin' on right now.

Kashif mirza

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:46:34 AM »
E one have acquired the deathrow catalogue of wideasleep rumour is that they havent bought the unreleased catalogue which doesnt make sense. E one only spent 6 million but still no news .

Jimmy H.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 02:52:05 PM »
Well, truthfully, the unreleased catalog probably isn't worth the troubles.  It sounds like it was poorly cataloged and three of the most popular artists (Dre, 2Pac, Nate Dogg) apparently own the publishing rights to their work over there. As much as fans want to hear all this vault material, the actual money is in the established catalog.

Okka

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 03:05:33 PM »
Didn't Nate leave with most of his material anyway? I think "G-Funk Classics Vol. 1 & 2" were both recorded on Death Row except for a few songs.

Will_B

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:06:58 PM »
Well, truthfully, the unreleased catalog probably isn't worth the troubles.

True but if they reissued Doggystyle in a digipak with genuine session leftovers, notes and a DVD and limited pressing vinyl, theres a good chance it would top the charts. And at the same time do the t-shirt range, posters and shit. Thats what E1 about as I understand it

Jimmy H.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
I actually was hoping they'd do a reissue like that.  Perhaps re-insert "G'z Up, Hoes Down" into the mix.

That's what I think Wideawake should have concentrated on, instead of putting out over-priced "unreleased" albums.  If they did like one of those cool re-issue sets with a bonus CD with all the single B-sides and shit like that, they could have something. With it being the anniversary of "Doggystyle", E1 should have hopped on that.

Will_B

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »
I actually was hoping they'd do a reissue like that.  Perhaps re-insert "G'z Up, Hoes Down" into the mix.

That's what I think Wideawake should have concentrated on, instead of putting out over-priced "unreleased" albums.  If they did like one of those cool re-issue sets with a bonus CD with all the single B-sides and shit like that, they could have something. With it being the anniversary of "Doggystyle", E1 should have hopped on that.

I guess E1 didn't have time to get it straight yet.

G'z Up, Hoes Down is a must. Renew the sample clearances and you got a instant rap collectors item

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:56:43 PM »
On the real though, how many people outside of dubcc want to hear sum unreleased death row stuf

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 01:12:18 AM »
On the real though, how many people outside of dubcc want to hear sum unreleased death row stuf

Cmon man that line is played out. Anyone who came up through 90's hiphop who was down from day 1 with the notorius Death Row

Kashif mirza

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 04:00:11 AM »
There is a lot of fans that listen to deathrow music that are not on the forum. Deathrow will always live on hopefully with some news and some releases.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 12:48:46 PM »
There is a lot of fans that listen to deathrow music that are not on the forum. Deathrow will always live on hopefully with some news and some releases.
I don't envision much in the way of new releases.  Wideawake tried it.  I think Laura Lavi had a decent enough plan but she got cut off at the legs before she got out the gate. 

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 06:40:42 PM »

Yes but not enough to invest money on these albums that only a handful of people are asking for. They'd never break even on the money they spend on a project like LBC Crew or Top Dogg.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Will_B

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 06:54:02 PM »

Yes but not enough to invest money on these albums that only a handful of people are asking for. They'd never break even on the money they spend on a project like LBC Crew or Top Dogg.

LBC crew should not even be mentioned in the same line as Top Dogg. Of Course they shouldn't put money into that shit.

It's all about marketing and collectability with non mainstream stuff these days. They could do a series of numbered releases with special art slipcases and booklets (for example)

Death Row Classics series

#1 The Chronic: Special Edition
#2 Dogg Food: Deluxe Edition
#4 The Chronic Tour 2 Disk DVD Edition
#5 Snoop Doggy Dogg: Demos & Unreleased Vol 1
#6 LBC Crew: Haven't You Heard (wBonus CD)
#7 Kurupt The Kingpin: The Lost Tapes

Collectors go mad for numbered, limited shit and once you establish the brand you drop in the obscure stuff. They could even do a Magazine series with a CD on the cover each month. There's $$$ in the brand no doubt.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 09:50:55 PM »

LBC crew should not even be mentioned in the same line as Top Dogg. Of Course they shouldn't put money into that shit.

It's all about marketing and collectability with non mainstream stuff these days. They could do a series of numbered releases with special art slipcases and booklets (for example)

Death Row Classics series

#1 The Chronic: Special Edition
#2 Dogg Food: Deluxe Edition
#4 The Chronic Tour 2 Disk DVD Edition
#5 Snoop Doggy Dogg: Demos & Unreleased Vol 1
#6 LBC Crew: Haven't You Heard (wBonus CD)
#7 Kurupt The Kingpin: The Lost Tapes

Collectors go mad for numbered, limited shit and once you establish the brand you drop in the obscure stuff. They could even do a Magazine series with a CD on the cover each month. There's $$$ in the brand no doubt.

Lol nobody's buying those. Look what happened to wide awake trying to release these unreleased projects. They're better off just selling them in iTunes   
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"