Author Topic: so whats the deal with the deathrow purchase?  (Read 1676 times)

Kashif mirza

• 'G'
Re: so whats the deal with the deathrow purchase?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »
Wideawake didnt wanna invest in the unreleased projects thats why didnt sell not to mention no marketing  or  promoting nothing  they were bound to fail.

Will_B

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2013, 04:10:24 AM »
There is a lot of fans that listen to deathrow music that are not on the forum. Deathrow will always live on hopefully with some news and some releases.

Yes but not enough to invest money on these albums that only a handful of people are asking for. They'd never break even on the money they spend on a project like LBC Crew or Top Dogg.

LBC crew should not even be mentioned in the same line as Top Dogg. Of Course they shouldn't put money into that shit.

It's all about marketing and collectability with non mainstream stuff these days. They could do a series of numbered releases with special art slipcases and booklets (for example)

Death Row Classics series

#1 The Chronic: Special Edition
#2 Dogg Food: Deluxe Edition
#4 The Chronic Tour 2 Disk DVD Edition
#5 Snoop Doggy Dogg: Demos & Unreleased Vol 1
#6 LBC Crew: Haven't You Heard (wBonus CD)
#7 Kurupt The Kingpin: The Lost Tapes

Collectors go mad for numbered, limited shit and once you establish the brand you drop in the obscure stuff. They could even do a Magazine series with a CD on the cover each month. There's $$$ in the brand no doubt.

Lol nobody's buying those. Look what happened to wide awake trying to release these unreleased projects. They're better off just selling them in iTunes   

No ones buying a Special Edition of The Chronic huh fam? :D

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2013, 10:51:02 AM »
There is a lot of fans that listen to deathrow music that are not on the forum. Deathrow will always live on hopefully with some news and some releases.

Yes but not enough to invest money on these albums that only a handful of people are asking for. They'd never break even on the money they spend on a project like LBC Crew or Top Dogg.

LBC crew should not even be mentioned in the same line as Top Dogg. Of Course they shouldn't put money into that shit.

It's all about marketing and collectability with non mainstream stuff these days. They could do a series of numbered releases with special art slipcases and booklets (for example)

Collectors go mad for numbered, limited shit and once you establish the brand you drop in the obscure stuff. They could even do a Magazine series with a CD on the cover each month. There's $$$ in the brand no doubt.

Lol nobody's buying those. Look what happened to wide awake trying to release these unreleased projects. They're better off just selling them in iTunes   

Count how many times The Chronic has been rereleased everybody already has it! It's like a Thriller rerelease.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Will_B

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »

Count how many times The Chronic has been rereleased everybody already has it! It's like a Thriller rerelease.

Special Edition means NEW stuff. It would sell ;)

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2013, 05:25:08 PM »
Well, truthfully, the unreleased catalog probably isn't worth the troubles.

True but if they reissued Doggystyle in a digipak with genuine session leftovers, notes and a DVD and limited pressing vinyl, theres a good chance it would top the charts. And at the same time do the t-shirt range, posters and shit. Thats what E1 about as I understand it

Lol there's no way it would top the charts. They need to do some stuff like getondown.com e.g. http://www.getondown.com/album.php?id=15669. Make 100-500 copies and sell them that way, mass producing the stuff isn't going to work because the demand isn't there. 91-96 was a long time ago, and the majority of cats who listened to gangster rap back then have probably grown up and moved on.

Wideawake were going the right direction with The Chronic Re-Lit which was dope, but how much did that even sell? Licencing and residuals are where the only money is in the Death Row catalogue, E1 bought all they should have.

V2DHeart

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 02:53:42 AM »
As far as current $$$ go, these are from the legacy releases only.

Legacy
Dr Dre - The Chronic
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle
Above The Rim SDT
Murder was the Case SDT
Dogg Pound - Dogg Food
2Pac - All Eyez on Me & Makaveli (limited to single releases only) This is limited due to a current dispute in masters.

Others
Snoop Dogg - Doggfather
Kurupt - Against The Grain

E1 have appeared to have gained rights for Michel'le (Hung Jury) but more importantly the tracks on her WIDEawake release (as other current WIDEawake releases) to secure it from the bankruptcy of the New Solutions financial corporation so assumption would be that the entire catalogue has been purchased as WIDEawake had already re-released material from the legacy releases and E1 had distribution deals in place. The problem and hold up seem to be due to the 2Pac issue. WIDEawake were permitted to release one albums worth of unreleased material and hand over the remaining masters to the Shakur estate, but because E1 have purchased the catalogue, they were already in a legal battle over royalties for a 2Pac release titled the beginnings. That could in turn eventually be classed as the "one album of unreleased" recordings, which wouldn't be pleasing news to 2Pac fans expecting a new album anytime soon.

E1, I'm sure will work out a deal to enable them to release/distribute/manage a release some time in the future
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Fraxxx

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 03:11:23 AM »
On the real though, how many people outside of dubcc want to hear sum unreleased death row stuf

Honestly? I couldn't care less about unreleased Snoop from '93.
i don´t need any medicate shit im 100 normal.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2013, 05:16:05 AM »
Well, truthfully, the unreleased catalog probably isn't worth the troubles.

True but if they reissued Doggystyle in a digipak with genuine session leftovers, notes and a DVD and limited pressing vinyl, theres a good chance it would top the charts. And at the same time do the t-shirt range, posters and shit. Thats what E1 about as I understand it

You do know that everything ain't free right? Those things will cost money & there's alot of legal stuff that comes with it & splits they'll have to share, especially if they wanna release lots of said things, quanitity wise. That's money they'll invest with no return on. Listen, dubcc isn't the world. Outside of this forum or small fan-forums nobody is gonna buy or be that interested in those things. It's a small niche. So there is no reason for them to invest that much money on these things, money or resources they might not even have at the moment.

I like the idea just as much as you but realistically it's not happening. I would love a DVD of some unreleased footage too, but it's not happening just cuz you & i want it. The DVD they released for Chronic Re-Lit had footage that was already out on Youtube anyway prior to it's relese. That Dre interview for example been around for years.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »

Special Edition means NEW stuff. It would sell ;)

How much "new" stuff do you think they have from the Chronic? Anything they have Dre owns rights to so they couldn't do shit with it anyway.

Lol there's no way it would top the charts. They need to do some stuff like getondown.com e.g. http://www.getondown.com/album.php?id=15669. Make 100-500 copies and sell them that way, mass producing the stuff isn't going to work because the demand isn't there. 91-96 was a long time ago, and the majority of cats who listened to gangster rap back then have probably grown up and moved on.

^ listen to him, he gets it!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Will_B

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »
LOL @ 'dubcc aint the world'

You're telling me aside from a few people on here, no one in the real world remembers the Chronic? :D :D :D :D

Jimi Hendrix had a no 2 album this year. I guess you're telling me they made a loss on that too

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »

You're telling me aside from a few people on here, no one in the real world remembers the Chronic? :D :D :D :D

Jimi Hendrix had a no 2 album this year. I guess you're telling me they made a loss on that too

Wth are you talking about? Are you mentally ill or something?

What i clearly meant is that dubcc doesnt necessarely represent what the demand for it is like out in the real world, based on a few of you in here saying that you "know many people who'd be interest in it". Also, most people interested in The Chronic already have it, it has been re-released before & they might fuck with it from time to time but they aren't into it as much as this niche here.

Smh, comparing Jimmy Hendrix with a Chronic album - extremely bad analogy.

I was discussing in a business sense. First off, Jimmy Hendrix is dead. The hype that has surrounded that name based on that will always add extra fanbase, ala 2pac, Biggie material. Jimmy Hendrix is not a rapper. His fanbase would definitely be more wider & for a market a little bit older & possibily more financially stable. It's also 2 different genres were talking about here.

Then you have an album that has already been re-released. We were clearly, or so i thought, talking about if they re-released it again (!) & how well it would do.So it has nothing to do with people not liking The Chronic as an album but we're talking business here. You're letting your little small dubcc world & your own want for it cloud your mind into believing it would be a profitable investment for any investors if they decided to put alot of stocks in. They would not get a big return, which was my point.

aerroc

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »

im sure there's plenty of people remember the Chronic but u need to remember all those people gots to be close to there 40s or older and probably moved on to real life i highly dont think those geezers going to buy any dr shit today

LOL      :D

Free Suge Knight, Gucci Mane, & BShmurda Welcome Home Tray D

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »

Wth are you talking about? Are you mentally ill or something?

What i clearly meant is that dubcc doesnt necessarely represent what the demand for it is like out in the real world, based on a few of you in here saying that you "know many people who'd be interest in it". Also, most people interested in The Chronic already have it, it has been re-released before & they might fuck with it from time to time but they aren't into it as much as this niche here.

Smh, comparing Jimmy Hendrix with a Chronic album - extremely bad analogy.

I was discussing in a business sense. First off, Jimmy Hendrix is dead. The hype that has surrounded that name based on that will always add extra fanbase, ala 2pac, Biggie material. Jimmy Hendrix is not a rapper. His fanbase would definitely be more wider & for a market a little bit older & possibily more financially stable. It's also 2 different genres were talking about here.

Then you have an album that has already been re-released. We were clearly, or so i thought, talking about if they re-released it again (!) & how well it would do.So it has nothing to do with people not liking The Chronic as an album but we're talking business here. You're letting your little small dubcc world & your own want for it cloud your mind into believing it would be a profitable investment for any investors if they decided to put alot of stocks in. They would not get a big return, which was my point.

You're only half right.  Dr. Dre is arguably bigger than Jimmi Hendrix as far as popularity goes, if he's not bigger than he's definitely his equal or somewhere near to it to the point where u couldn't really measure.  You're sleeping on the Force that IS Dr. Dre.... all bias aside!

But I agree with you on just about everything else.  Re-releasing "The Chronic" would be a horrible idea, in fact, it's been a horrible idea.  If anything they should've re-released it in late 2004 or sometime in 2005 when Aftermath was at their peak and wrapped it up for a later date. 

But u have to give Dubcc a little credit tho.  Even tho it's a Ruthless Family Tree-based forum, that still means something to the culture, a big something if i might add.  The Ruthless & Death Row years were arguably the best thing to ever happen to Hip Hop.  Hip Hop is bigger than just Ruthless Records but Ruthless Records is definitely essential to the Culture.  You should be grateful a site like this exist with People who are heavily into it (even tho the Mods suck).  Their ear to music is of value.... if u know how to milk it

Kashif mirza

• 'G'
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2013, 01:55:32 AM »
There is a lot  of material in the deathrow vault that people want to hear doggpound materail  snoop stuff  daz and kurupt. if u can get daz and snoop to work  with e one  the music will sell it needs the right people.

tonyscarbones

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2013, 05:26:02 AM »
A death row box set or dre box set would be HUGE

if u disagree ur a fool

rolling stones led zeppelin beatles grateful dead hendrix etc

all those box sets sold large amounts when they dropped

death row is the music of the new era of 30s and 40s people as those other bands I listed were