1 (14.3%)
Hip Hop That White People Like
1 (14.3%)
Whatever The Hell Your Biased Narrowminded Head Likes
2 (28.6%)
Thank You Based God
3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: Real Hip Hop?  (Read 983 times)

MistaNova

Real Hip Hop?
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:06:16 PM »
As hip hop heads (although I'm more of a rock, country and classical guy) I'm sure we've all seen the term "real hip hop" used a billion times before.
And much like when someone uses the words "real music," "real hip hop" is usually just used by some fanboy or a group of fanboys who think that what they like/listen to is good and what they don't like/don't listen to is bad. It's one of the defining traits of idiotic music "lovers" who can be found in every demographic and genre imaginable.

Regardless, is real hip hop a real thing? Can it be defined?
Is there a certain sound/artist in hip hop that you can point to and say "this is what hip hop is all about." ?
Is "real hip hop" something that your average hip hop fan likes? Is "real hip hop" hip hop that only black people like? Is "real hip hop" hip hop that white people who think they're black like?

From what I've seen, you can't peg one artist/sound for any of these. Like any music genre, Hip Hop's gone through a handful of changes and no artist can embody everything there is about hip hop. Nobody can simultaneously capture the wonderful, powerful and fun charm hip hop in the 70's/80's had, while capturing the awful and downright corny gangsta-wannabe hip hop from the 90's, whatever the hell hip hop in the 00's was like (I'm guessing it was even cornier), and the identity crisis hip hop is going through here in the 10's.
But that's what this thread is for. I want to ignore see some of your opinions.
What is your definition of "real hip hop?"

bouli77

Re: Real Hip Hop?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »
that's a tough question, as DJ Premier says in the intro of Gang Starr's You Know My Steez "the real hip hop, mcing and djing from your own mind",

there's always been a question of authenticity in hip hop and therefore i think it's the criteria number one to be considered "real" no matter of the actual sound. while you can have artists who sound damn good but they're just rip offs of what's trending. like, if Justin Bieber drops an album tomorrow produced by Marley Marl and DJ Premier (LOL), and ghostwritten by Cormega, i'm pretty sure it'll sound good, but it won't be considered real. so it's kinda like what Premier says "from your own mind", that's why tailor made artists like Kriss Kross can have well produced products but they aren't real in a lot of ppl's books.

it doesn't bother me personally, if the song sounds good and original, i like it.

hitsaw

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 02:49:23 AM »

Will_B

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 05:24:19 AM »
Real has a musical and poetical essence at its heart. And has a soul. That DJ Premier quote is dope and on point

Purely technical rappers sit down. Generic sounds of any kind will be over done. Fall out of trend and fade. Lyricists that can't deliver their 'clever' rhymes sit down. They're like a well written joke done by a bad comedian.

Subject matter is irrelevant.

Real is something you feel. Depends how enlightened you are. Basically if you can connect with the MC and the beat (not exclusively one or the other) then you got it. The more feeling the realer it gets baby

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 07:49:57 AM »
real hip hop is hip hop music that's true to the form of the culture. hip hop that has some soul and heart of the artist engraved in it, that when you listen to it you can tell the artist put great effort into creatin' it. there are real hip hop mainstream album and then there's the underground shit where the real gold is.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 10:05:29 AM »
 Even though iam probably a bigger fan of westcoast hip hop, to me real hip hop, is more the east coast style. Beats , lyrics, samples n scratches. No pop or r n b, etc.

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 01:59:41 PM »
This is the origin of hip hop. "Real Hip Hop" if you will. Lighthearted party music made from disco breaks.

Next, this is what the rabid "purist" nerds claim is "real hip hop".

I don't see many similarities. Why so serious?

The hypocrisy in so many "real" rap fans opinions would be comical if they weren't so obnoxious and judgmental towards others.

MistaNova

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:28 PM »
This is the origin of hip hop. "Real Hip Hop" if you will. Lighthearted party music made from disco breaks.

The hypocrisy in so many "real" rap fans opinions would be comical if they weren't so obnoxious and judgmental towards others.

Finally a post that makes sense.
But although I agree with your post, it does raise another question. If real hip hop is lighthearted party music (which is always has been and always will be), what does that make the hip hop that purists/nerds consider to be "real hip hop" ????

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 02:40:10 PM »

But although I agree with your post, it does raise another question. If real hip hop is lighthearted party music (which is always has been and always will be), what does that make the hip hop that purists/nerds consider to be "real hip hop" ????

Hip hop. It's a wide genre. I don't believe in the label "real hip hop".

It's too vast now for one term to describe it all.

Nobody argues over whether Van Halen is "real rock" because it's different from Buddy Holly.

This debate should be a non-starter amongst us fans, but so many still bite and waste their time doing so.

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 03:08:52 PM »

Nobody argues over whether Van Halen is "real rock" because it's different from Buddy Holly.

This debate should be a non-starter amongst us fans, but so many still bite and waste their time doing so.

This is true, in essence there's just good and bad music. Same in any genre

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »

Exactly. On top of that, "good vs bad" is very subjective as well.

We may sit here arguing what constitutes good hip hop, then some Caucasian comes along and says "it's all nigger noise to me" and shits on everything.

bouli77

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 05:01:30 AM »

Next, this is what the rabid "purist" nerds claim is "real hip hop".

I don't see many similarities. Why so serious?

spot on,

elitism is a serious sickness among hip hop fans

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 09:14:58 AM »
this is real hip hop -  8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Will_B

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:15 PM »

Exactly. On top of that, "good vs bad" is very subjective as well.

We may sit here arguing what constitutes good hip hop, then some Caucasian comes along and says "it's all nigger noise to me" and shits on everything.

I think hip hop is very similar to jazz. There's no rule book for it, you have to play around with the sounds and it doesn't always work. But when it does it gets a kind of universal recognition.

The more the music goes to a specific offshoot of the genre (like east/west/conscious/gangsta etc) the more it moves away from the simple root...and taste defines whether you're inclined to like it not

I do believe truely good music is universal in its reach. Classic material doe. I played a guy at work some Illmatic and he told me it was garbage and puff daddy was better. I didn't take his opinion on board and now wouldn't bother chatting music with him ;D

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
overall i follow KRS-One's way of thinkin bout hip hop..

some talkin in here: