Author Topic: Method Man is one of the best rappers to never have a classic solo album...  (Read 1325 times)

KrazySumwhat

Re: Method Man is one of the best rappers to never have a classic solo album...
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 02:38:03 AM »
 Cant remember if i ever ended up getting the Eiht/Lynch cd.

doggfather

« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 02:47:27 AM »
what WHat, WHAT?  ;D
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

midwestryder

« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 01:03:29 PM »
I like Tical a lot, but I do think Method Man's solo career has been pretty disappointing overall for someone as talented as he is. A top-notch Method Man verse sounds just about as good as anyone's IMO

yeah Tical was solid but wasn't a classic, 4:21 was honestly a better album to me
4:21 sucked compare to the classic Tical.

how?
The beats were trash compared to Tical. Tical has better beats & rhymes all together.

midwestryder

« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 01:05:04 PM »
I agree with Brian on this one.  I don't think Tical was classic by any definition, and I like Meth a lot.  To me the best rapper to never make a classic album, or any album lol is gotta be Crooked I

Okay, but he made one classic group album (1st wu-tang) and the only classic duo album ever the blackout.
Outkast first 3 albums are classics then it all started going down hill.

Only 1 classic duo album????? ever, for ever ever, for ever ever? 

Exactly... Dogg Food, Atliens, Stankonia... those are certainly classic duo albums.
Stankonia is not a classic . It is one of Outkast's weakest albums.

I think that ATLiens is certainly a classic.  I won't argue with you if you don't think Stankonia is a classic.  I'm sort of on the fence with that one.  ATLiens is the only certifiable classic album from Outkast, in my opinion.

Blood$

« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2014, 02:09:44 PM »
I like Tical a lot, but I do think Method Man's solo career has been pretty disappointing overall for someone as talented as he is. A top-notch Method Man verse sounds just about as good as anyone's IMO

yeah Tical was solid but wasn't a classic, 4:21 was honestly a better album to me
4:21 sucked compare to the classic Tical.

how?
The beats were trash compared to Tical. Tical has better beats & rhymes all together.

the beats were definitely grimier on Tical but come on now calling the production trash on 4:21 is a stretch you need to go listen to "Presidential" again  :o

HighEyeCue

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2014, 03:19:05 PM »
Tical is borderline classic IMO but I see what the OP is saying...Meth is too good of a rapper not to have better solo material

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2014, 04:03:24 PM »
Tical is borderline classic IMO but I see what the OP is saying...Meth is too good of a rapper not to have better solo material

he should drop a release of previously unused songs from the 90's

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2014, 06:21:20 PM »
At the time "Bring The Pain" was making noise I remember my homies and I were so into Death Row and Dogg Pound was about to drop at the time.  But "Bring The Pain" was probably the East Coast shit we were most into.  Being young and a fan of hip-hop it was like Method Man fucking lived in the underground subways and a crew just came to film him there, lol.   That video was the shit.  Another East Coast video we were into at the time was AZ "Sugar Hill".  This was from the good ol days when YoMTVRaps used to come on at midnight on Fridays  8)
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BIGWORM

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2014, 07:19:18 AM »
no way imho was tical classic. it had bangerz but not classic status. but thx for reminding me about it im going to rock it in my ride tonight. 421 got the most play for me as a album by METH.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2014, 08:01:16 AM »
I bought 2000 when it came out and was actually really digging it at the time. Now, I am lukewarm to it. But 2000 has it's place and I really enjoyed it at the time.

I agree that Tical isn't a hip-hop classic. It's an Eastcoast classic in the same way that Kurupt's Streetz Iz A Mutha is a Westcoast classic. I think not having a classic album is the only thing that holds Meth from being placed among the greatest emcee's of all time. Raekwon had a classic album, and his was the only one from the Wu Tang members. The Wu as a whole had 2 classic albums, and Method Man was the main rapper in both. But for solo albums, it just never happened, but he came close with Tical.

doggfather

« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 08:18:56 AM »
rae got what?!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
I bought 2000 when it came out and was actually really digging it at the time. Now, I am lukewarm to it. But 2000 has it's place and I really enjoyed it at the time.

I agree that Tical isn't a hip-hop classic. It's an Eastcoast classic in the same way that Kurupt's Streetz Iz A Mutha is a Westcoast classic. I think not having a classic album is the only thing that holds Meth from being placed among the greatest emcee's of all time. Raekwon had a classic album, and his was the only one from the Wu Tang members. The Wu as a whole had 2 classic albums, and Method Man was the main rapper in both. But for solo albums, it just never happened, but he came close with Tical.

1-rae didn't have a classic album, he had a classic group project get released under his name instead of "Raekwon and ghostface" as it should have been titled

2-GZA's "liquid swords" is easily a classic...not one bad song on that shit.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 09:20:10 AM »

1-rae didn't have a classic album, he had a classic group project get released under his name instead of "Raekwon and ghostface" as it should have been titled

2-GZA's "liquid swords" is easily a classic...not one bad song on that shit.

1 - Stop being technical. You know what I meant.  :boohoo:

2. Well I agree with the quality, impact is also something I use to judge if something is a classic and Liquid Swords is straight heat but it's impact wasn't as big. It got lost in all the Wu Tang noise of the time and as a Wu Tang fan who did buy Liquid Swords, (I am realizing I bought a ton of Wu Tang albums) the album wasn't talked about as much as I thought it should be. Even if it's because I grew up in California and people were on that Dogg Pound shit, or Me Against the World shit or even a few were on that Ready to Die shit, a true classic would have rose above that and made some noise. I guess Liquid Swords only fault was being released in 1995.

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »
Raekwon has only built for cuban linx which is a recognized classic, and to me immoblarity is a personal classic.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2014, 02:14:03 PM »
Raekwon has only built for cuban linx which is a recognized classic, and to me immoblarity is a personal classic.

"Personal classic" is a GREAT term that I may have to use.