Author Topic: Method Man is one of the best rappers to never have a classic solo album...  (Read 1319 times)

Ghost Drebin

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Re: Method Man is one of the best rappers to never have a classic solo album...
« Reply #45 on: February 17, 2014, 02:15:52 PM »
Raekwon has only built for cuban linx which is a recognized classic, and to me immoblarity is a personal classic.

"Personal classic" is a GREAT term that I may have to use.

Yeah I have a few of those.  I love the hell out of them but understand that not everyone else might.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2014, 02:18:44 PM »
I bought 2000 when it came out and was actually really digging it at the time. Now, I am lukewarm to it. But 2000 has it's place and I really enjoyed it at the time.

I agree that Tical isn't a hip-hop classic. It's an Eastcoast classic in the same way that Kurupt's Streetz Iz A Mutha is a Westcoast classic. I think not having a classic album is the only thing that holds Meth from being placed among the greatest emcee's of all time. Raekwon had a classic album, and his was the only one from the Wu Tang members. The Wu as a whole had 2 classic albums, and Method Man was the main rapper in both. But for solo albums, it just never happened, but he came close with Tical.

1-rae didn't have a classic album, he had a classic group project get released under his name instead of "Raekwon and ghostface" as it should have been titled

2-GZA's "liquid swords" is easily a classic...not one bad song on that shit.

1 - Stop being technical. You know what I meant.  :boohoo:

2. Well I agree with the quality, impact is also something I use to judge if something is a classic and Liquid Swords is straight heat but it's impact wasn't as big. It got lost in all the Wu Tang noise of the time and as a Wu Tang fan who did buy Liquid Swords, (I am realizing I bought a ton of Wu Tang albums) the album wasn't talked about as much as I thought it should be. Even if it's because I grew up in California and people were on that Dogg Pound shit, or Me Against the World shit or even a few were on that Ready to Die shit, a true classic would have rose above that and made some noise. I guess Liquid Swords only fault was being released in 1995.

1-i know, i just hate the fact Raekwon gets all the credit when Ghostface was just as important on that album lol

2-the amount of people who slept on Liquid swords is criminal

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 02:24:06 PM »
I bought 2000 when it came out and was actually really digging it at the time. Now, I am lukewarm to it. But 2000 has it's place and I really enjoyed it at the time.

I agree that Tical isn't a hip-hop classic. It's an Eastcoast classic in the same way that Kurupt's Streetz Iz A Mutha is a Westcoast classic. I think not having a classic album is the only thing that holds Meth from being placed among the greatest emcee's of all time. Raekwon had a classic album, and his was the only one from the Wu Tang members. The Wu as a whole had 2 classic albums, and Method Man was the main rapper in both. But for solo albums, it just never happened, but he came close with Tical.

1-rae didn't have a classic album, he had a classic group project get released under his name instead of "Raekwon and ghostface" as it should have been titled

2. Well I agree with the quality, impact is also something I use to judge if something is a classic and Liquid Swords is straight heat but it's impact wasn't as big. It got lost in all the Wu Tang noise of the time and as a Wu Tang fan who did buy Liquid Swords, (I am realizing I bought a ton of Wu Tang albums) the album wasn't talked about as much as I thought it should be. Even if it's because I grew up in California and people were on that Dogg Pound shit, or Me Against the World shit or even a few were on that Ready to Die shit, a true classic would have rose above that and made some noise. I guess Liquid Swords only fault was being released in 1995.

1-i know, i just hate the fact Raekwon gets all the credit when Ghostface was just as important on that album lol

I agree. I remember there was just a few of us in high school that use to hold up W's for the Wu Tang and not the Westcoast... LOL... okay it was 75% westcoast and the other 25% it was Wu Tang. Liquid Swords was AMAZING! But it's only fault was being released on Geffen Records and during one of the greatest eras in hip-hop. Had it been released in 1993, or 1997 it would have had the attention it deserved. But when I talk about classic records, I mean full impact with quality. So well College Dropout had quality, it also changed the production game and everyone started trying to make those Kanye beats, which was an extension of the beats heard on 36 Chambers and Liquid Swords.  But because 36 Chambers was released first, it gets the credit and Liquid Swords got lost in the noise of the era. Man, I wish we could have another era like that though, were great albums were getting slept on because everything else was just as good.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 08:40:24 PM »
 Gotta agree that raes first album is a classic. Liquid swords probably too. i really have to re visit that album i can only remember a track or two off of it. ODB's album was pretty classic too. Even though he dont really rap properly and there was at least one horrible track i suppose.
 To me Killah priest has several dam near perfect albums!

Remedy360

« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 10:39:14 PM »

Yeah, as far as their verses in the group go I'll take a bunch of those guys over GZA, but Liquid Swords was definitely the best solo album any of them did.

doggfather

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 11:46:55 PM »
liquid swords, now that's a classic records from start to bottom.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »
Was bumping "4,3,2,1" today... damn. I miss those days when joints like that used to get played on the radio.  Rap was so dope in those days, that it wasn't even one of my favorite videos at the time.  I liked it, but it wasn't a big deal to me.   Now I would do anything to have those days back when that track was blowing up.  "I snatch your crown with your head still attatched!"- Canibus-  That video is BLAZING, especially the remix with P roccin the Denver Bronco's jersey!   8)

That's what is so surprising about Method Man.  He displayed the ability to make both hits for pop fans and underground joints for the most serious of headz.  A combination like that there is no way this dude shouldn't of had a classic album.  He also had Rza in his back pocket to produce and oversee his projects, and do the mathematics!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:16:04 AM by Infinite »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)