Author Topic: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)  (Read 10267 times)

Blood$

Re: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2014, 08:25:56 AM »
totally hyped and totally wacked...even faggot lamar´s album was much better.

Schoolboy Q > all of the Outlawz combined

doggfather

« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »

that's right.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Blood$

« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:37 AM »
I played this album for a hip-hop head homie of mine last night clam baking my whip and his only minor complaints were Kurupt's delivery on "The Purge" and he felt the 2 Chainz track was average and replaceable, other than that he loved the rest which says a whole lot about how solid the album is and how terrible of trolls some of y'all are  8)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2014, 10:20:51 AM »

Blood$

« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
XXL Reivew:

Rating: XL

Having dominated 2012 with “There He Go” and “Hands On The Wheel,” ScHoolboy Q took his time building himself as the next big thing out of TDE. Q represents a quarter of the Black Hippy crew, alongside Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul and Jay Rock, but his independent releases, as well as collabos with the likes of Macklemore, 50 Cent and YG, showed that he could stand on his own two as a solo artist. The 27-year-old MC was chosen as an XXL Freshman in 2013, increasing his profile, as well as the anticipation for his major-label debut, Oxymoron. While Lamar has had a lot of success from the Grammy-nominated good kid, m.A.A.d city, Q has been the promising talent waiting his turn. On an LP almost two years in the works, the Los Angeles rapper immerses listeners in tales of his gang affiliation, struggles with selling and consuming prescription drugs and accounts of his upbringing. It’s a story that might have started with Habits & Contradictions, but Oxymoron goes darker and deeper into Q’s past.

ScHoolboy’s presence on Oxymoron is poised and confident. He’s not here to give us another hot single for the radio or win fans over with cocky lyrics. He’s here to push gangsta rap mainstream without compromising his style. The LP is a sullen listen with hard-hitting anthems. On the opening track “Gangsta,” Q spits chilling bars that capture the feel of being a soldier in the trenches. “We on block patrol, nigga, fuck your roll, got the gat on me/Nigga look, it’s right here, bulldog bark, you could die right here.” “Hoover Street,” with Q reflecting on his youth and an uncle addicted to drugs, is a six-minute tale worth rewinding back for its vivid imagery.

Q’s other hallmark is his vulnerability, which is often more shocking to the system than his images of street life. Many instances of his past are meant to show he wasn’t hustling on the block all the time just to get by. Key tracks like “Prescription/Oxymoron” utilizes his daughter Joy to illustrate that there has been a lot of pain in his life. “My mommy call, I hit ignore, my daughter calls, I press ignore/My chin press on my chest, my knees press the floor,” he shares with deadpan delivery. He talks about doing good for his family on his standout verses on “Blind Threats” featuring Raekwon. ScHoolboy tells us about trying to survive by robbing and killing with sharply worded rhymes. And things come full circle with “Break The Bank,” where Q lets his story do the talking. “Good weed and me time, goodbye to Nissan,” he says. “’Cause one day this rappin’ gon’ pay.”

It helps that Q has developed his voice and flow since Habits & Contradictions. With a range of pitches and variation in attacking a verse, there’s a noticeable ease in hearing him go hard over tough beats by Pharrell, Tyler, The Creator, Mike Will Made It, The Alchemist and more. TDE’s in-house producers (Digi+Phonics and THC) make their case with a sonic direction that’s filled with delicate piano loops, snare drums and ominous synths. Then there are Q’s hooks, bouncing out from his rhymes. They’re surprisingly catchy for a rapper on his gangsta tip.

TDE promised to flood the game with new material in 2014. Isaiah Rashad’s Cilvia Demo introduced the raw talent to new ears, while Oxymoron fits as another chapter in Q’s journey for rap supremacy. It’s hard to tell if Q will take Kendrick’s throne off this debut, but you’d be hard-pressed to find anyone who hasn’t already thought about it. The LP ends with “Fuck LA,” an outro that embodies both his appeal and potential to be an even bigger threat in rap. “I’m a Crip for real, way before the deal, had them Oxy pills,” he boasts. There he goes again.
—Eric Diep

http://www.xxlmag.com/rap-music/reviews/2014/02/schoolboy-q-oxymoron-album-review/

Will_B

« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2014, 02:15:17 PM »
LOL they pushing him hard like Rolling Stone mag

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:16 PM »
LOL they pushing him hard like Rolling Stone mag
some of these magazines be bias than a muthafucka. LOL
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Blood$

« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »
#1 on iTunes with an average rating of 4.5/5 as well  8)

guess all iTunes users are biased than a motherfucker too right? lol

Blood$

« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2014, 03:42:07 PM »
AllHipHop Review:

First things first, if you are copping this album with the intention of experiencing some profound intellectual awakening, you should immediately put your hands on the wheel and swerve all the fuck away. Oxymoron listening sessions (especially in the whip) will no doubt produce a visceral experience that will slap the Kufi right off your dome. The hallmark of a superior group is that each member brings something fresh to the table, and while Ab Soul and Kendrick are rightfully regarded for their conscious lyrical content, the self-proclaimed man of the year is more concerned with titties, ass, and getting hands in the air. On Oxymoron, there is a plethora of that ignorant sh*t we love, magnified by beats that  bang.

Schoolboy triumphs in an arena where many corny ass dudes fail because of his fearless approach to the art of creating so-called vain content; a rapper who truly spits whatever is on his mind, like on “Gangsta,” where Schoolboy states: “My Grandma showed me my first strap” not even a full 2 minutes into the album. The most sophisticated way to describe Schoolboy’s blatant rapping style is like the homie sitting at KFC going h.a.a.m. on a bucket of chicken with no regard as to how his appearance comes across to others, especially females, like on “Studio,” where Schoolboy speaks about his love interest with the sensitivity of a gentleman and a stoner.
Even though there is an abundance of features, they surely don’t detract from Q’s presence on the album. It may be of no surprise that Kurupt (“The Purge”) and Raekwon (“Blind Threats”) come through on their respective joints, but the best collaboration is by far “Groveline Pt. 2,” where Schoolboy and Suga Free make a certified jam gloriously laced with a g-funky ass feel.
While real thinkers will inevitably crucify Ab Soul’s TDE brother for his lack of “conscious” content, there is no doubt that Q is definitely serious about his craft. Songs like “Break The Bank” and “Hoover Street” are introspective departures from the more radio-geared tracks featured on the album. While I have no doubts that Kendrick’s next official release could potentially provide a solution for world hunger buried within the musical confines, in the meantime Oxymoron is a damn good soundtrack for fun frivolities and all things whip-related.

Lyricism – 9/10
Production – 10/10
Album Cohesiveness –8/10
Replay value –9/10
Overall –8/10
Personal Favorite Tracks: “Man Of The Year”, “Break The Bank”, “The Purge”,”Grooveline Pt. 2″

Will_B

« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2014, 03:47:39 PM »

Just shows how the casual listener knows nothing about music

All these reviews of 4/5 - 4.5/5........so if Illmatic is your 5/5 .....this albums just a bit less good :D :D :D :D

Damn. Schoolboy Q dropped a 'nearly Illmatic' type album :o :o :o

I better start ghost riding his dick

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2014, 04:02:07 PM »

Just shows how the casual listener knows nothing about music

All these reviews of 4/5 - 4.5/5........so if Illmatic is your 5/5 .....this albums just a bit less good :D :D :D :D

Damn. Schoolboy Q dropped a 'nearly Illmatic' type album :o :o :o

I better start ghost riding his dick

says someone who judged albums after listening 2 songs on youtube  - how ironic  ::) ::)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2014, 04:04:40 PM »

if dude was signed to duck down or e one records do you honestly think he would've gotten these kinda ratings ?
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2014, 04:25:06 PM »
Haven't listened yet but Suga Free and Raekwon are both in my top 5 DOA so I'm losing my mind right now.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2014, 05:35:29 PM »

if dude was signed to duck down or e one records do you honestly think he would've gotten these kinda ratings ?

Of course he would, it's Allhiphop and XXLMag, they're not just going to throw people good reviews for nothing. During the peak of G Unit's hype Lloyd Banks got an M in XXL because he released a sub-par album. Reviewers have more to lose by pandering to artists than they do to gain.

Too many cats on here think their opinions are the be all and end all of music, they can't understand their own tastes are either narrow minded or stuck in a dated box. Get out in the world and enjoy yourself, hear "Collard Greens" or "Man of the Year" in a club setting and you'll understand. Actually sit down and listen to the lyrics / story in "Hoover St" and "Prescription/Oxymoron" and you'll understand.

I get it if you don't like the music, that's fine, that's your opinion. But throwing other peoples tastes in the bushes just because they like something you don't is retarded, get off your own dick b.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2014, 05:44:18 PM »

Of course he would, it's Allhiphop and XXLMag, they're not just going to throw people good reviews for nothing. During the peak of G Unit's hype Lloyd Banks got an M in XXL because he released a sub-par album. Reviewers have more to lose by pandering to artists than they do to gain.

Too many cats on here think their opinions are the be all and end all of music, they can't understand their own tastes are either narrow minded or stuck in a dated box. Get out in the world and enjoy yourself, hear "Collard Greens" or "Man of the Year" in a club setting and you'll understand. Actually sit down and listen to the lyrics / story in "Hoover St" and "Prescription/Oxymoron" and you'll understand.

I get it if you don't like the music, that's fine, that's your opinion. But throwing other peoples tastes in the bushes just because they like something you don't is retarded, get off your own dick b.
no one's dissin' anyone's opinion homie relax it ain't that serious. I'm just sayin' had this release came out on somewhere else it wouldn't even be noticed. you brought up Lloyd banks but if g unit was in their prime that joint woulda got a xl. xxl has rated so many albums wrong good or bad it's a shame. Isaiah's joint is better but i don't see y'all discussin' him.