Author Topic: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)  (Read 10392 times)

WittyWestCoaster

• Lil Geezy
Re: Schoolboy Q - Oxymoron (Discussion Thread)
« Reply #225 on: February 28, 2014, 11:29:03 PM »
^ shit, negro that's all you had to say!   ;D
this new generation sucks and have no standards at all. dudes can come out and kiss each other on the lips, wear dresses, be a c.o., have no skills on the mic, etc. and it's accepted. smdh.
the new generation ? you sound like a fucking old man bro.. did you know 2pac was a ballet dancer ? did you know biggie went to private school ? back in the days it was ok for 2 men to hold hands because it was a sign of friendship, people were rocking tight jeans just like people are rocking them today... you always got some lame ass niggas talking about this generation  :-\ you sound like the old man on the corner telling stories about his days as a youth.

lol +1

Hahahaha!!! I'm sorry but The Oxy is Floppy… Trash! I expected more from the "ALIMIGHTY TDE" smh!!! Someone please save the game… Like I said before, The west coast is "WIIIIIIIIIIIDE OPEN" right now.

Blood$

« Reply #226 on: February 28, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »
160K first week doesn't sound floppy to me in 2014

WittyWestCoaster

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2014, 04:11:21 AM »
160K first week doesn't sound floppy to me in 2014

Not in terms of Sales, but more in terms of actual "CLASSIC-ISM" People can buy gimmicky shit all day long…. In my true honest opinion, everybody has gravitated towards Q's personality and Character. But to base off "PURE & SHEER TALENT" then he's by far no where near the top tier echolon of MC's. Now don't get me wrong he's doing what's best for Q, which is nothing wrong with. I wish the kid prominent Success, but when we're going off Talent  n shit. Again the Kids Floppy…

Witty West West Y'all

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2014, 05:30:10 AM »
 Pretty decent sales. Snoop cant even sell close to that these days. I still haven't gotten around to checking this yet. Guess i should check dude out more to see if i like his style enough. I bought 2 Kendrick albums and jay rocks strange music album but haven't heard much or Q.

Desert Lord

« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
man i don't know...at first i was like "this album sucks", but then a few tracks grew on me...it's still wack for the most parts for me, but i'll see if it will grow on me.
maybe i overrated him  :-\

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #230 on: March 02, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
man i don't know...at first i was like "this album sucks", but then a few tracks grew on me...it's still wack for the most parts for me, but i'll see if it will grow on me.
maybe i overrated him  :-\
People are mixing things up. It's not about overrating him. It's about his album. I was just expecting more from the ALBUM. Not necessarily him. I know what he can do. I like his first album much more than this. It's not about Q or TDE being overrated. I just think the project was not as good as thought it was going to be. That's all. It doesn't mean he can't make another dope album. In a way, I had a feeling this album wasn't going to live up to my liking. Usually when it's a "commercial" release, that's what you will get. Its the market that dictates what you do. This is why many of the hip hop heads are critical about today's state of Hip Hop. Everyone is copying the same sound. If you don't, you're not going to sell. You're not going to have the same appeal, especially when you're talking about attracting the younger crowd.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 04:50:38 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

escowino

« Reply #231 on: March 02, 2014, 09:23:08 PM »
Didn't like this album that much. Some songs are OK, but nothing on here really makes me want hit the repeat button, or bump it loud in my ride cuz the songs are so tight. I wasn't expecting to like every song on this, but I thought there'd be some songs I really liked cuz on his last couple albums there were songs I really liked and would listen to all the time. I never thought he had a lot of skill on the mic but he can make some good "songs". I think if there were at least some beats on this that I liked it would help. But maybe its just my age. But I'm happy the sales are good, and know there will be songs he makes in the future that I will probably dig.

jman91331

« Reply #232 on: March 03, 2014, 12:11:45 AM »
I'm personally diggin the album. I didn't really like setbacks (but I only listened to it once so maybe I gotta give it another chance) liked Habits & Contradictions (except the production was kinda booty on some of the tracks) but I'm feelin this one as a whole. I bought it about 4 days ago & been bumpin it every since. I like the whole album & the bonus tracks is where it gets weak to me. I should've saved the Lil 2 or 3 bucks & bought the standard. Maybe people that don't like it were expecting something else but I just take it for what it is & enjoy it. I mean he ain't a Kendrick where he gonna fuck you up with those well thought out concepts & flows but he can pain the picture good like on Prescription/Oxymoron and Hover Street. Pretty solid album for me. For those that heard his lable mate Isaiah Rashad's shit, what do you think of that compared to this?

Blood$

« Reply #233 on: March 03, 2014, 08:23:55 AM »
can't really compare Isaiah Rashad's tape to this album but it was a dope project worth checking out for sure

Desert Lord

« Reply #234 on: March 03, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
maybe i overrated him  :-\
People are mixing things up. It's not about overrating him. It's about his album. I was just expecting more from the ALBUM. Not necessarily him. I know what he can do. I like his first album much more than this. It's not about Q or TDE being overrated. I just think the project was not as good as thought it was going to be. That's all. It doesn't mean he can't make another dope album. In a way, I had a feeling this album wasn't going to live up to my liking. Usually when it's a "commercial" release, that's what you will get. Its the market that dictates what you do. This is why many of the hip hop heads are critical about today's state of Hip Hop. Everyone is copying the same sound. If you don't, you're not going to sell. You're not going to have the same appeal, especially when you're talking about attracting the younger crowd.

yeah, but i was not mixing things up here. i wasn't really feelin' "setbacks" or "habits & contradictions" that much, but i thought that this album maybe will be dope because of some of the tracks he released prior to the release and i also liked him on a few black hippy collabo projects. now that i got the feelin' that i won't dig this album anytime soon, i have to say that maybe i overrated him based on the expectations i had on this album. but like i said maybe this album will grow on me idk

Blood$

« Reply #235 on: March 03, 2014, 10:16:52 PM »
ScHoolboy Q sat down with Elliott Wilson to talk about his new album, "Oxymoron", and the state of gangsta rap in 2014.

Beyond the singles, ScHoolboy Q's new album, Oxymoron is gangsta rap through and through. In a new "CRWN" interview with Elliott Wilson, Q took some time to explain why he felt this particular sub-genre has fallen out of favor, the assumption that it has "no substance", as well as his belief that rappers are just too nice these days.

"People hear aggressive rappers and they think 'no substance.' I don't get that," he said of his critics. "How can me talking about somebody getting killed or me running from somebody trying to kill me be no substance? You clearly live behind a computer."

ScHoolboy then went on to give his theory on when gangsta rap was phased out. "Once 50 and Game stopped beefing and that, gangsta rap just fell off the map," he said. "It was just done. Then all the new nice niggas came up."

Q elaborated on how rappers are too afraid to step on any toes these days. "The new rapper now is super nice, you know what I mean?" he said. "Nobody wants to say anything about anybody. Niggas are giving interviews like they're in the NBA now... There's a whole WWE thing about this rap shit now."

http://www.hotnewhiphop.com/schoolboy-q-addresses-the-assumption-that-he-has-no-substance-says-new-rappers-are-too-nice-news.9613.html

Will_B

« Reply #236 on: March 04, 2014, 04:53:15 AM »
For me topic is irrelevant in rap. It's more how gifted the artist is with the pen. The tightest MCs have a poetical mind, honestly, message, cleverness, wit, or are just gifted songwriters and entertainers (Slick Rick, Biz Markie, Sugarhill, Kurtis Blow, or early Snoop and Dre hit factory type stuff)

This ain't hate but Q ain't got a whole lot of any of that. I can see what he's sayin but shouting gangsta gangsta 25 times on a track is just ignant. If I wanna get hyped ill put some Pac on sorry Q 8) 8)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #237 on: March 04, 2014, 02:49:41 PM »
Great energy in the track

Will this even get airplay doe?

What would you rate this song out of 10 Will?

6/10 good sound concept and execution. Can't imagine this will get airplay tho.

This about Nicki Minaj's "Lookin' Ass Nigga".

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/2mwNbTL3pOs" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/2mwNbTL3pOs</a>

The 6/10 you gave this is better than EVERY song you rated on Schoolboy's album LMAO. Delete your account.

OG Snoopaveli

« Reply #238 on: March 04, 2014, 04:28:42 PM »
OXYMORON Tops Billboard

8) 8) 8)

Blood$

« Reply #239 on: March 05, 2014, 08:46:30 AM »
he'll go hit 500K in time as long as TDE/Interscope push him like they did Kendrick