Author Topic: Suge Knight: Kendrick Lamar and Game Have Two of the Worst Deals  (Read 2069 times)

o g s u e s o n e

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Suge Knight: Kendrick Lamar and Game Have Two of the Worst Deals
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2014, 02:13:50 AM »
Pffff who cares what Suge knows/thinks. Those two rappers from Compton re nevertheless rich as fuck.

adi760

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 02:21:16 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA</a>

bouli77

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 05:10:13 AM »
Kendrick still made the Forbes rich list earning $9m in 2013

yeah true that. I don't think Kendrick has that bad of a deal to be honest. I mean at this point young rappers from the independent circuit are supposed to have some knowledge of the business, and Kendrick has been around some of the most successful independent artists before he even signed on Aftermath with E-40 and touring with Tech N9ne so it's not like he ain't seasoned. the forbes list is supposed to be a serious/accurate list too. I doubt Suge even looked into their contracts, he just speaking what he thinks Kendrick deal is but I'm sure Kendrick got all of his publishings, unlike any artist not named Dre & 2pac on Death Row at the time and which is, in the long run, the most important thing with owning your masters (which he probably doesn't, as almost nobody does). Suge always says he looked out for his artists by buying them whatever they needed and looking out for them, which may be true, but they had terrible deals and he wasn't paying them what they were due, hence Daz winning $25 mill in court. kinda like Snoop with Tha Eastsidaz.

abusive

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 06:57:06 AM »
You forgot Game was/is? signed to JT Tha Bigga Figga. I think that's who Suge meant by "is really signed to".
No. Even JT has admitted otherwise. JT basically gave him a deal to do those early recordings then let him do his thing. He tried to sell them to Interscope when Game got on but they passed so he put them out himself. I believe Suge is either talking about Jimmy Henchman or D-Mack.

In this video JT says Game was signed to him then Game tried to side step him but JT had him under contract.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 08:51:36 AM »
Pffff who cares what Suge knows/thinks. Those two rappers from Compton re nevertheless rich as fuck.
I wouldn't call them rich as fuck though... but they do have a decent amount of change in their bank accounts.  But I think Kendrick will surpass Game in terms of net worth by the time his next album drops.  He has really good exposure to the point where he can be accepted by the mainstream and will get booked for those types of events.  He's on the Grammys, All-Star halftime show, SNL, etc., while I don't ever remember Game even performing at the VMAs ever haha.

yeah true that. I don't think Kendrick has that bad of a deal to be honest. I mean at this point young rappers from the independent circuit are supposed to have some knowledge of the business, and Kendrick has been around some of the most successful independent artists before he even signed on Aftermath with E-40 and touring with Tech N9ne so it's not like he ain't seasoned. the forbes list is supposed to be a serious/accurate list too. I doubt Suge even looked into their contracts, he just speaking what he thinks Kendrick deal is but I'm sure Kendrick got all of his publishings, unlike any artist not named Dre & 2pac on Death Row at the time and which is, in the long run, the most important thing with owning your masters (which he probably doesn't, as almost nobody does). Suge always says he looked out for his artists by buying them whatever they needed and looking out for them, which may be true, but they had terrible deals and he wasn't paying them what they were due, hence Daz winning $25 mill in court. kinda like Snoop with Tha Eastsidaz.
Suge was just speaking on them because they're Compton natives who HAPPENED to be connected to Dre contractually in some way.  I've said it before, it wasn't all Suge's fault though... their finances were in such disarray to begin with as they didn't have a real accounting company doing the work, and it didn't help that he ended up getting locked up in 1997.  It's not like Suge was purposely withholding people's money in from 1992 onward.  They all just learned valuable lessons, with everyone being relatively young and not really being business-minded.  Yes, they were ambitious, but no one really had the financial knowledge to do anything right.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »
if there's one thing Suge knows it's a bad music contract because he sure gave lots of those out

Jimmy H.

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »

In this video JT says Game was signed to him then Game tried to side step him but JT had him under contract.
No shit. I got to go looking into that other interview.  I could recall one where he said he put some money behind Game as a temporary investment or something so they could do some music together before they hit it back. If JT had paperwork on him, that must have cost Game some additional bills when that Interscope deal rolled through.

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2014, 09:48:26 AM »
I think Suge was just saying that about so many labels/companies being involved and all being entitled to some cut.  With Game, it was G-Unit/Aftermath/Interscope and then Geffen got involved too for stuff coming out after The Documentary.  And then there's still Czar Entertainment or whatever the company is called that is run by Jimmy Henchmen, who gets a piece of the action.  And now he's moving to Cash Money/Universal, so who knows how the money will get split at that point.  And Kendrick is still linked up with Top Dog/Aftermath/Interscope, so I bet Jay Rock is also getting a nice cut.

Game was always on Universal. Universal distrubutes Interscope music. So all Interscope artists have a deal with them. Czar was a management company, not a record company. Aftermath nor G-Unit were involved in anything after his first record. Aftermath might've still gotten % of him since they first signed him, but definitely not G-Unit. G-Unit just were part of the "production" of the record. He wasnt signed to them. But of course they still got a cut from that album.

But this is normal in the industry. Reason he mentioned them is cuz they from Compton & out right now. But the deals Death Row got by Interscope & the deals the artists were under were bad too according to them, so...

Both Game & Kendrick/TDE have had some of the same affiliated people in their camps working for/with them, and Suge have had issues with some of them before. Don't know how it got resolved or whether but could be why he also mentioned just them. Cuz if you noticed he really wanted to say talk about the people who get them signed to these labels & get a % from them as artists as well..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 09:50:22 AM by PhunkyDoob »

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »

Which always makes me laugh when Kendrick and even professional athletes are called "slaves", lol... if that is slavery then what the fuck am I?  What would you call wiping people's assholes at a nursing home for 10 dollars an hour?  For real... If Kendrick is fucking Lady Gaga and making 9Million and he's a slave, then what would that make my broke ass who doesn't have enough money to even have a girlfriend and I wipe assholes for 10 dollars an hour? 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

smp4life

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2014, 11:23:57 AM »
According to Ronin Ro's Deathrow biography, Suge/ DR had rappers signing blank pieces of paper. Buying their big artists cars instead of giving them money, etc...

PhunkyDoob

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2014, 02:28:12 PM »

Which always makes me laugh when Kendrick and even professional athletes are called "slaves", lol... if that is slavery then what the fuck am I?  What would you call wiping people's assholes at a nursing home for 10 dollars an hour?  For real... If Kendrick is fucking Lady Gaga and making 9Million and he's a slave, then what would that make my broke ass who doesn't have enough money to even have a girlfriend and I wipe assholes for 10 dollars an hour? 

I personally agree that they arent slaves. But you know what they mean when they say that. Also, Forbes means nothing. First of all, they are more wrong than right. Also, that is not what the artist in question has in their bank account. Just cuz Kendrick earned 9 mill (if true), doesnt mean thats all his money. Thats just his brand, and again it's practically a guess. I hate when fans nowadays bring up these Forbes list like its relevant to anything to yall or that means you know what they have. Kendrick (the brand) MIGHT'VE earned 9 mill (guessing by tour revenue etc.). But then he also has to pay alooooot of people, like any artist & then regular stuff like taxes & much more. And thats where that slave thing comes in. It does not mean he has 9 mill in his bank account for himself.

abusive

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2014, 01:56:21 PM »

No shit. I got to go looking into that other interview.  I could recall one where he said he put some money behind Game as a temporary investment or something so they could do some music together before they hit it back. If JT had paperwork on him, that must have cost Game some additional bills when that Interscope deal rolled through.
But who knows, he may not of ever got out of the deal. You can buy your way out of a contract only if the person you're signed to allows you to. Then there was the issue of the Blackwall Street name at one point too where it was unclear if JT owned it or Game. Game may be still obligated to JT even to this day.
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2014, 02:15:08 PM »

I would doubt if he actually took home clear 2 million.

$9 million sounds about right. The tours are what brings in the majority of the money, and Kendrick toured with Kanye. So I can imagine he made more money touring with Kanye than had he done a TDE tour instead. If he did the standard TDE tour, I could believe he barely pulled in $2 million. But the Kanye gig, and the commercials for Beats By Dre, I can see it. As for getting paid off the actual album, yeah, I'm sure he's getting pimped.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 03:33:21 AM »
According to Ronin Ro's Deathrow biography, Suge/ DR had rappers signing blank pieces of paper. Buying their big artists cars instead of giving them money, etc...
That was a good book but it just jacked info from other documentaries and books.

E Dub

• 'G'
  • Straight Westcoast
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 11:16:59 AM »
Kendrick has toured hard since GKMC, thats the cash money right there always has been