Author Topic: Suge Knight: Kendrick Lamar and Game Have Two of the Worst Deals  (Read 2066 times)

DeeezNuuuts83

Re: Suge Knight: Kendrick Lamar and Game Have Two of the Worst Deals
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2014, 11:43:01 AM »
Kendrick has toured hard since GKMC, thats the cash money right there always has been
And that's one thing that isn't really affected by the digital age... you can't replace live performances, and people will always want to see them live.  If anything, it might even help, since they can stream performances.  They can charge for it, or just do it for free but get advertising money for it from whichever company wants their product on that page.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2014, 12:27:54 PM »
Not trying to be funny but Suge would know about bad contracts, and in this case it make sense. Lets look at who gets paid before Game and Kendrick get their cuts...

Game: Universal - Interscope - CZAR Entertainment - Aftermath - G-Unit (Documentary era for example)

Kendrick: Universal - Interscope - Top Dawg - Aftermath

So see how many hands get their cut before Game and Kendrick touch a penny? Then remember they still have to pay recording fees, pay back the advance, the promo, etc etc etc
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

abusive

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »
Not trying to be funny but Suge would know about bad contracts, and in this case it make sense. Lets look at who gets paid before Game and Kendrick get their cuts...

Game: Universal - Interscope - CZAR Entertainment - Aftermath - G-Unit (Documentary era for example)

So see how many hands get their cut before Game and Kendrick touch a penny? Then remember they still have to pay recording fees, pay back the advance, the promo, etc etc etc
That's why there are slaves. Because even if they wanted to stop rapping they couldn't because they have contractual obligations to fulfill that they just can't walk away from. In some cases they may be getting extorted as well.

The only DR contract I've seen was 2Pac's and it was actually pretty good. It was no napkin bs it was a well written legal document. It can be viewed in the afeni shakur case suing DR. I'm not sure where this Suge bad contract talk is coming from. Also, I recently checked out a interview with reggie wright jr. http://www.youtube.com/user/bomb1stcom/videos and he said that the DR artist were living above there means over there. Everyone was taken care of even if they didn't deserve it. I believe him because I haven't seen otherwise. I think DR is taking the fall for alot of what Interscope has done. The same why they lie on suge and say that he kilt pac they say he cheated everyone.

People like to talk about Pac dying broke but fail to mention the million court cases he had, the many hanger on's in his life including family members, the money advanced to him, countless hours of studio time, several music videos and the fact that he hadn't recouped yet for his DR music. If you wondering where the DR music money is at or his DR contract, how come you not wondering the same about Juice, Poetic Justice, Above The Rim, 2Pacolepse now, Thug Life, Strictly for my Niggaz etc? Where was the money at from that? What kind of contract did he have for those deals? At the end of the day even if the deals are bad the artist signed them, they have to live with it. They grown a$$ men. Let's be real here!
No man born of woman tho. Dead homies.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
A lot of that is pretty true.

I've said it time and time again... while Suge usually takes the blame for the fall of Death Row and their financial mismanagement, the money situation isn't directly his fault.  Their accounting was just really bad.  Pac's contract was pretty good, but again, the people at Death Row handling the money likely didn't have any real financial background and pretty much wrote checks and handed out cash when Suge told them to.  On a retail level, the distribution outlets paid Death Row based on how many units were being ordered and shipped, because they're a professional organization.  But by the time the checks got to Death Row, they pretty much just got deposited... they didn't have a real accounting department overseeing the money coming in and the sales being made and determining how much money whichever artist was to be paid based on what kind of points they were getting.  Pac's contract was actually pretty good... but Pac not getting all of the money he should have, based on the terms of his contract, wasn't necessarily because Suge or David Kenner was purposely keeping his money from him.  Outside of people like David Kenner and Papa G, a lot of Death Row's staff was just guys from Compton, who likely didn't even go to community college.

Pac did spend money like it was going to expire.  It's like Manny Pacquiao too... the guy has been paid well over $100 million from his boxing career so far, but there are a ton of rumors about him having some financial trouble.  Again, it's not his promoter's fault, even though the whole world thinks Bob Arum is a crook.  It's just mismanagement of his own funds, from buying all sorts of stuff to chartering entire planes to always flying with a huge entourage of people who don't have any real duties to having some tax issues.  Pac was in a similar position.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2014, 01:41:59 PM »
Also, one thing that was mentioned before about the cars and such... the artists themselves wanted cars anyway.  But a lot of them frankly didn't know anything about how to get a car (at least not when going for a nicer ride like a Benz, Jag, Bentley, Rolls, etc. from the dealership) or maybe didn't have the credit either.

It was said that a lot of the stuff was put in Death Row's name because of that at the point of sale/purchase, though it's not as if the artists ever took the initiative to switch the car into their name anyway.  I bet a lot of them didn't even get insurance.  But a lot of cars were leased anyway, since a lot of rappers even at that time wanted to trade it in anyway for a newer model and weren't too interested in keeping cars for the long term.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2014, 02:10:12 PM »
Another thing about 2Pac though is he bought property in cash in many locations. He set up homes everywhere and allowed people to live there. But had he been alive to sell that during the housing bubble, 2Pac would have tripled his wealth. Not a bad move.

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2014, 02:50:23 PM »
I wouldn't say he would triple his WEALTH.  Maybe just his investments in homes specifically... but I don't think he owned THAT much property.  What other homes did he own other than the one in Atlanta (where one of the Outlawz eventually lived and took over)?  But also, while he put his family members in houses, he may have just been paying the rent for them and not necessarily a mortgage.  Pac was business-minded, but he didn't have business smarts.  I don't see him at 21-22-23-24-25 having the money to front for those properties, keep up with paying the mortgages on them while also having the insight of investing in it.

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »

That's why there are slaves. Because even if they wanted to stop rapping they couldn't because they have contractual obligations to fulfill that they just can't walk away from. In some cases they may be getting extorted as well.

The only DR contract I've seen was 2Pac's and it was actually pretty good. It was no napkin bs it was a well written legal document. It can be viewed in the afeni shakur case suing DR. I'm not sure where this Suge bad contract talk is coming from. Also, I recently checked out a interview with reggie wright jr. http://www.youtube.com/user/bomb1stcom/videos and he said that the DR artist were living above there means over there. Everyone was taken care of even if they didn't deserve it. I believe him because I haven't seen otherwise. I think DR is taking the fall for alot of what Interscope has done. The same why they lie on suge and say that he kilt pac they say he cheated everyone.

People like to talk about Pac dying broke but fail to mention the million court cases he had, the many hanger on's in his life including family members, the money advanced to him, countless hours of studio time, several music videos and the fact that he hadn't recouped yet for his DR music. If you wondering where the DR music money is at or his DR contract, how come you not wondering the same about Juice, Poetic Justice, Above The Rim, 2Pacolepse now, Thug Life, Strictly for my Niggaz etc? Where was the money at from that? What kind of contract did he have for those deals? At the end of the day even if the deals are bad the artist signed them, they have to live with it. They grown a$$ men. Let's be real here!

Anybody who thinks that's slavery is a fuckin moron. Slaves didn't ask to be kidnapped, stripped of their history / language / education, and forced to work their asses off - they were FORCED to. Did anybody take Game or Kendrick out if their suburban homes, put a gun to their head and force them to rap? Game actually had the opportunity to play basketball professionally, he passed on that in favor of being a rapper. That sound even remotely close to slavery? Stoppit.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2014, 09:40:41 PM »
Kendrick still made the Forbes rich list earning $9m in 2013

Which always makes me laugh when Kendrick and even professional athletes are called "slaves", lol... if that is slavery then what the fuck am I?  What would you call wiping people's assholes at a nursing home for 10 dollars an hour?  For real... If Kendrick is fucking Lady Gaga and making 9Million and he's a slave, then what would that make my broke ass who doesn't have enough money to even have a girlfriend and I wipe assholes for 10 dollars an hour? 
For a man who use to call himself "Allah's Slave" you should know that slavery can take on many forms.

Marty Jannetty

• Lil Geezy
  • I'm Marty but you're not Shawn, bitch.
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2014, 09:40:57 PM »
Anybody who thinks that's slavery is a fuckin moron. Slaves didn't ask to be kidnapped, stripped of their history / language / education, and forced to work their asses off - they were FORCED to. Did anybody take Game or Kendrick out if their suburban homes, put a gun to their head and force them to rap? Game actually had the opportunity to play basketball professionally, he passed on that in favor of being a rapper. That sound even remotely close to slavery? Stoppit.

Why even bother?

The entertainment industry is full of shady people, if you don't know by now, then you never will. The idiots that sign contracts these days only have themselves to blame. Especially the retards that do the 360 deals. We live in the internet era, if you can't blow up via youtube or some other medium then you don't deserve to be heard anyways.

And fuck that fat nicca Suge.
It will always be 1993 to me.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 10:47:14 PM »
I've said it time and time again... while Suge usually takes the blame for the fall of Death Row and their financial mismanagement, the money situation isn't directly his fault.  Their accounting was just really bad.  
And why are these things not directly his responsibility exactly? You can have the most fair and balanced artist contract in the world.  If it's not being honored and you're not being paid accordingly, what does it matter? And that's not to say Suge is all the way to blame because I don't know but a reputation proceeds the label. In terms of money and position, can anyone that was on that label (even Dre, who reportedly owned it at one time) compare to what Eminem or 50 Cent, two Aftermath artists, made in sense of having money and managing their own labels, independent of Aftermath.

abusive

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2014, 06:22:28 AM »

Just because we disagree that doesn't mean you have to resort to calling names. As far as the bolded goes, possibly, that's why I mentioned extortion. What you think Jimmy Henchman would have done if Game told him that he wanted to stop rapping to pursue a basketball career? Not saying that Game was/is being extorted either, just using that as a example.

Just as the poster above said slavery comes in many forms. What you seem to be referring to is the slavery us as a people have endured. I say we are all slaves even to this day by being a citizen,  just without the shackles. If you don't believe me, try driving without a license, not paying your income tax or not paying your property tax. They will tell you that you have to pay them or either be locked up (another form of slavery) or lose whatever you own. Either way that's not freedom regardless of whether or not you want to call it slavery.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
Just as the poster above said slavery comes in many forms. What you seem to be referring to is the slavery us as a people have endured. I say we are all slaves even to this day by being a citizen,  just without the shackles. If you don't believe me, try driving without a license, not paying your income tax or not paying your property tax. They will tell you that you have to pay them or either be locked up (another form of slavery) or lose whatever you own. Either way that's not freedom regardless of whether or not you want to call it slavery.
There might be some validity to your argument but you've chosen preposterous examples. Yes, you need a license to drive but there's nothing saying you have to own or operate a car. You play the game, you play by the rules. A fair and free world may be a complete illusion but that is a far cry from slavery to me.

abusive

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 03:00:46 PM »
There might be some validity to your argument but you've chosen preposterous examples. Yes, you need a license to drive but there's nothing saying you have to own or operate a car. You play the game, you play by the rules. A fair and free world may be a complete illusion but that is a far cry from slavery to me.
preposterous? might be? How about a ticket for jaywalking then since you don't like the car example? lol

DeeezNuuuts83

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 03:40:11 PM »
You don't have to do that either though... depriving someone of jaywalking isn't exactly a crime against humanity, let alone a form of slavery.