1 (5%)
Searchin
0 (0%)
Back Stabber
2 (10%)
Jealousy Woes 2
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Eminem "Infinite" appreciation thread  (Read 1301 times)

Sccit

Re: Eminem "Infinite" appreciation thread
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 11:09:47 PM »
Let me just say this. If we're talking about HUNGER/CHARISMA when speaking about EM and prime, then I'm with you 100%. VIntage EM had the hunger and charisma for all the reasons I brought up earlier. Dude was FRESH! He had so much shit locked up inside, waiting to explode! His personal shit with his fam, his mom and wife. His life etc etc. That VINTAGE Em with the old school style and voice and charisma! If we're talking about that SPECIFICALLY then I'm with you! But if we're talking about the CRAFT...his SKILLS, there is no fucking way I can agree that he isn't in his prime. I just can't. You can't be a genius and not be in your prime. We can't ever bring the past. Those days are CLASSIC EM! Shit that's irreplaceable. But lyrically the dude is still amazing and I think he's probably better from a technical standpoint. And I honestly believe most MC's would agree. Let's not confuse both though. I'm only speaking on his lyrical ability. Nothing more.

charisma is part of the craft, though, thats what i'm sayin....it's a major contributing factor to the entire package. from a technical stand-point, yes, he's in his prime. but overall, taking into account the entire package, like i said, u cant be in ur prime if ur charisma aint where it once was. take shaq, for instance. when he was hungry (lol) for a championship, thats when he was in his prime....once that hunger faded away, sure, he still had the same technical ability...but when ur hearts not goin all out, it just aint guna translate the same. and thats why he fell out his prime so quick. if a player (rapper) lost passion for the game and isn't playing (rappin) wit the same charisma, he's removed from his prime. we basically agree, but we have two different definitions of prime...i think the issue is that u think prime only comes from a technical standpoint, when the technicality is only part of it. but like u said, u only speakin on the lyrical ability, so i feel ya.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 11:32:44 PM »
Let me just say this. If we're talking about HUNGER/CHARISMA when speaking about EM and prime, then I'm with you 100%. VIntage EM had the hunger and charisma for all the reasons I brought up earlier. Dude was FRESH! He had so much shit locked up inside, waiting to explode! His personal shit with his fam, his mom and wife. His life etc etc. That VINTAGE Em with the old school style and voice and charisma! If we're talking about that SPECIFICALLY then I'm with you! But if we're talking about the CRAFT...his SKILLS, there is no fucking way I can agree that he isn't in his prime. I just can't. You can't be a genius and not be in your prime. We can't ever bring the past. Those days are CLASSIC EM! Shit that's irreplaceable. But lyrically the dude is still amazing and I think he's probably better from a technical standpoint. And I honestly believe most MC's would agree. Let's not confuse both though. I'm only speaking on his lyrical ability. Nothing more.

charisma is part of the craft, though, thats what i'm sayin....it's a major contributing factor to the entire package. from a technical stand-point, yes, he's in his prime. but overall, taking into account the entire package, like i said, u cant be in ur prime if ur charisma aint where it once was. take shaq, for instance. when he was hungry (lol) for a championship, thats when he was in his prime....once that hunger faded away, sure, he still had the same technical ability...but when ur hearts not goin all out, it just aint guna translate the same. and thats why he fell out his prime so quick. if a player (rapper) lost passion for the game and isn't playing (rappin) wit the same charisma, he's removed from his prime. we basically agree, but we have two different definitions of prime...i think the issue is that u think prime only comes from a technical standpoint, when the technicality is only part of it. but like u said, u only speakin on the lyrical ability, so i feel ya.

KEY WORDS - "Charisma is PART OF THE CRAFT". It's not the WHOLE. I understand what you're saying though. It's basically the same shit I said in one of my first post when I said that his earlier shit was CLASSIC and the reasons why were "BEYOND JUST LYRICS". I just said it in different words. I see the example of Shaq but when Shaq fell off it was obvious lol. The dude was FAT lol! Once again, he lost DEDICATION! You want a better example of my point? Let's use Michael Jordan. Not sure if you got to see MJ play but his 2nd time around (when he won his 2nd three-peat), MJ did not have the same "hunger". He even retired. He came back for the LOVE of the game and COMPETITIVE nature. And you know what else? He lost a lot of athletic ability! His second three-peat he was around 32-35 years of age. Clearly leaving his "prime". But when they asked MJ, "Do you still think you're as good as before"? His reply was "I'm better"! How is that? He already had 3 NBA titles? He was already considered the GOAT by many? So how is he better without the same hunger? Because even though he lost PART of his CRAFT, he gained from a MENTAL (IQ) standpoint. He became a more CEREBRAL player. He relied less on his athletic ability and was more TECHNICAL! AND HIS COMPETITIVE NATURE REMAINED! This is where I say EM is better than ever. His RHYMES and METAL IQ is greater. That OLD EM will never be back. But when you lose certain PARTS of the craft, you can still GAIN in other aspects. Em is not 28 yr old anymore. Dude is 40 years old bro! His mentality is different. You can't expect to be the same guy or have the same demeanor. You need to let life take it's course. This is why I say that the OLD EM will remain the CLASSIC EM. He will never be that guy again. But he still has a lot to give as long as he stays competitive. Tell me he's past his prime when he's getting killed on the MIC. Until then, I wont believe it.  8)

Good shit though. I feel ya!
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Sccit

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »
The bottom line is that if he's not putting out his best work (which u agree on), then he's clearly no longer in his prime

And it don't matter what athletes say about themselves, that should be taken with a grain of salt .. Jordan from the first threpeat was undisputedly better than Jordan in the second threepeat.

Will_B

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2014, 10:21:58 AM »
Em peaked on the SSLP, but the Eminem Show is still a dope album

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2014, 04:14:17 PM »
The bottom line is that if he's not putting out his best work (which u agree on), then he's clearly no longer in his prime

And it don't matter what athletes say about themselves, that should be taken with a grain of salt .. Jordan from the first threpeat was undisputedly better than Jordan in the second threepeat.

That's not what I said ha. You brought up Shaq as well lol??

It don't matter though. If you think he's past his prime, it's cool. I don't agree with that entirely. I'm somewhere in between and tried my best to explain it. It's just different opinions.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

Sccit

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2014, 05:57:50 PM »

It don't matter though. If you think he's past his prime, it's cool. I don't agree with that entirely. I'm somewhere in between and tried my best to explain it. It's just different opinions.

how can he be in his prime if his best work is behind him?...im jus tryna get ur train of thought here. if u said he's in his lyrical prime, fine, thats 1 thing....but if his past material is better than his current material, that means his entire prime is behind him bru

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »

how can he be in his prime if his best work is behind him?...im jus tryna get ur train of thought here. if u said he's in his lyrical prime, fine, thats 1 thing....but if his past material is better than his current material, that means his entire prime is behind him bru
I tried to give you an example. I hate to use sports again but I can't think of an easier analogy. I'm not entirely disagreeing with you. I perfectly understood your point. But I think your example is more suited for a guy like Kurupt. He fits every description of PAST PRIME they way you're using it. Just like you claim EM doesn't have the HUNGER AND CHARISMA to go along with it, you can also make the case he fell of lyrically. He doesn't have the same fire as before. He's not dedicated anymore. The consistency in writing dope rhymes is gone. He might spit some tight shit here and there but for the most part, he's CLEARLY PAST HIS PRIME. Em on the other hand might not have some of the elements of being in PRIME (the ones you brought up) but he still has others! The dude is still dedicated! He is arguably STILL the sickest on the mic. He is still CONSISTENT. He still has some passion and love for the game or he wouldn't be able to do this. Bro, do you know how difficult it is to stay on top? Do you know the amount of time it requires for dudes to continue to bring out new rhymes? Dudes are competitive! To stay on top, YOU HAVE TO have some type if hunger STILL. It's not possible to still be on top lyrically and say you fell completely off prime. If you see a motherfucker dropping 50 a game, leading the league in scoring, how can you say he's past his prime? So my point is this....Em is definitely not the same guy you brought up. He might not have the "same" hunger or charisma as before BUT the dude hasn't completely fallen off to label him past his prime. I guess your point would be more like saying that, now he is not at the OPTIMUM stage of his prime (In your opinion). But that doesn't mean he is entirely PAST his prime. Em is STILL INSANE on the MIC!

PRIME is not just a moment. It's a TIME FRAME. This is why I used MJ as an example. You could probably claim that MJ started his prime around the age of 25-26 but it ended around 34-35. MJ at age 34 was still leading the league in scoring. He was still winning MVPS but HE WAS NOT THE SAME GUY HE WAS AT AGE 25-30. He was OLDER. He was a BEAST but doing it in different ways. Most of his athleticism was gone. He was more CEREBRAL. This is why I say that EM, from a MENTAL/TECHINCAL/IQ point of view, might be better than ever. His knowledge for rhyming has reached a level that's never been before. But why was he able to do this? Because he stayed DEDICATED to his craft. Not many guys can say this. This is why I said in one of my first posts that EM was the EXCEPTION. So it's very difficult for me to say Em is past his prime when he's still dropping 50 a game and killing dudes (dope lyrics). Ya dig?? Now Of course in SPORTS eventually you will lose your prime because it's also PHYSICAL. Rapping isn't physical. You're not running or exercising. It's Cerebral! The shit that I want you to understand is that I do agree with things you're saying. The CLASSIC shit he put out, to go along with that special time, and whole movement was UNIQUE. That's my favorite EM. Those are my favorite albums. That was my favorite style/personality (charisma) of his. But the key to me is that it was only a PART OF HIS PRIME. IT WAS A CLASSIC PART OF HIS PRIME! I still think he's still in his PRIME but it's just a different part of it. It's the 40 yEAR OLD part. The older guy! He's not fresh anymore. We've already heard his whole fucking story. He even changed his fucking voice. So it's DIFFERENT! But for the simple fact that he's STILL on top of his game and maybe the best in terms of his PURE CRAFT, I would be making a false statement saying he's past his prime. Dude I would put money that if they asked MC's or other known artist if they think Em is past his best, they'd look at you strange, like WTF!!!??? The one thing they would probably agree on is that EM's classic material AS A WHOLE, was in the past. But that's it! Like I said, explain to me how a dude can still be considered the BEST on the MIC by most and say he's past his prime?? Think about it logically. It makes no sense. It's just a different part of his prime. That's my point to this whole convo. That I don't agree he is ENTIRELY past his prime. He's just in a different TIME OF HIS PRIME!

FUCK! I went all out on that one LOL!!! ;D CHeck it dawg, I respect your opinion. I always though you were a good poster. The shit I'm saying is difficult to explain but I just can't completely agree with you. We don't have to agree with each other. It's all good.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 11:44:13 AM by LAC/EASTSIDE »

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2014, 12:04:28 PM »
Another simple example. Let's use NAS or Pharoahe Monch! I still listen to BOTH. I think both are still dope! Shit Pharoahe thinks he's the best now ha. A lot of older cats (adults) buy their shit. It's more music for adults, I guess you can say. Depending on how you want to look at it. LYRICALLY they are still ELITE! BUT......My favorite NAS will always be the CLASSIC ILLMATIC or IT WAS WRITTEN. That work will always be my favorite. That WHOLE TIME will always be my favorite. It was just a special time. Same for Pharoahe Monch. His debut album is considered NY classic to many. But the dude is still fucking SICK! He's still on top if his game. So the WORD [PRIME], IMO, should not be used to describe the differences in these examples. That's not what the word PRIME means. You can't be past PRIME when you're still ELITE on the mic. Past prime would apply to guys like Kurupt or even Snoop. No more classic albums and no more classic rhymes ha. Dudes dropped a couple levels. That's past prime to me! Em throws people off because he changed his style also. He uses weird voices n shit. So it makes it easier to label him in that manner. But when you read about him STILL...the way he works, what he writes on paper, studying his rhymes etc etc., that statement doesn't apply to him. UNLESS you feel that his rhymes are not as sick? Then that's another story. This is the reason why one of the earlier posters said, "if you look at most artist, their earlier work is the best". Yes because you can't choose these things. These things happen on their own. The CLASSIC shit materializes on it's own. Some people think Jay Z Blueprint album is classic? I don't think. If it is then that means we're assuming he was still in his "prime" when he wrote Blueprint but IMO his only classic shit was Reasonable DOubt! So how was Jay-Z able to bring out reasonable doubt, claim it was his PRIME shit, then he drops a couple levels and comes back to his PRIME with Blueprint lol?? Ya feel me? So his PRIME fluctuated lol? CLassic ALBUMS or "material" should not always be used hand in hand with PRIME, unless you include the most important element to HIP HOP. RHYMES! What about Nas? MOST people think STILLMATIC is classic! So what happened there? He dropped Ill and It was Written in his "prime", fell off UGLY and then was able to get back in his PRIME to drop STILLmatic how many years later??
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:22:33 PM by LAC/EASTSIDE »

Sccit

« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2014, 01:08:39 PM »
I think we have different definitions of prime... I still believe that ur only in prime form when ur at ur hungriest.

I know where ur coming from and I see ur point of view mayn.. No love lost

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2014, 07:00:00 PM »
prime = at best

Jimmy H.

« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2014, 01:40:39 AM »
I don't think comparing athletes who compete with artists who create makes for good examples. You can be a writer/musician/filmmaker and put out the best work of your career when you are 50 or 60. Knowledge can improve your art drastically but athletes are always going to be slaves to their physical limitations.

As for Em, I'm not sure his best days are passed. I feel he's still capable of making material that can rival his best stuff from his early years. I'm sure many will disagree but that's the beauty of opinions.

Sccit

« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2014, 03:12:31 PM »

As for Em, I'm not sure his best days are passed. I feel he's still capable of making material that can rival his best stuff from his early years. I'm sure many will disagree but that's the beauty of opinions.

doubt it