Author Topic: The Roots -...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin [Discussion Thread]  (Read 2559 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't

1. Theme From The Middle Of The Night
2. Never
3. When The People Cheer
4. The Devil
5. Black Rock
6. Understand
7. Dies Irae
8. The Coming
9. The Dark (Trinity)
10. The Unraveling
11. Tomorrow

The Roots have a busy schedule ahead of them with the continuing transition into Jimmy Fallon’s The Tonight Show, but that hasn’t stemmed their creative ambitions; they put out a collaborative album with Elvis Costello last September, titled Wise Up Ghost, and have been in the studio working on their own 11th studio album, which Questlove tweeted last year was set to be called …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin. Details have been pretty scarce so far, but Black Thought hopped on the phone with XXL this week to discuss the direction of the project, and some of what to expect.

“We’re close to being done on it, it’s coming soon, hopefully sometime this Spring,” Thought said. “It’s called And Then You Shoot Your Cousin. It’s conceptual; it’s another concept album in the spirit of undun, but it’s not just about just one kind of character, we create quite a few different characters in this record. It’s satire, but in that satire it’s an analysis of some of the stereotypes perpetuated in not only the hip-hop community, but in the community. I don’t know if that makes any sense.”

Thought expanded on some of the differences between ATYSYC and undun, their critically acclaimed 10th album from December 2011. That project was positioned as a day in the life of a character named Redford Stevens, whose first-person narrative of the day of his tragic death served as a metaphor for the plight of urban youth in America. This one will not be so centered on one character, however.

“We created some of these characters that we kind of see,” he continued. “We as artists, musicians, Philadelphians, New Yorkers, we as black men, we’re familiar with very many of these characters, and we kind of introduce them to the rest of the world in a manner that makes them more easily understood than maybe seeing it.”

One of the defining things of undun, outside its narrative, was its length—just 38 minutes bookended by a symphonic act that provides the backbone to the project. ATYSYC may not have that same type of pocket, but it will still be on the shorter side.

“Hopefully you’ll get something new from it every time you listen to it, you’ll hone in on something different,” Thought said. “It’s short enough to do that, to take in, to digest in one sitting, so to speak. I think right now it’s at maybe 34 minutes; there may be one or two musical things added on to the record that I know is the record at this point. But I don’t think it will be any longer than 36 or 37 minutes in its entirety. So in that, it’s short enough to digest, but it’s gonna be dense. So dense that maybe in one sitting you’ll listen to it and only listen to the piano and string arrangements, and then you’ll listen to it again and you’ll get into the actual words that are being said, and you’ll listen again and get into some of the other musicality. There’s very many layers to this record, but it doesn’t take place over very much time.”

The album is slated to be released via Def Jam Records; as of press time, there was no official release date.

- XXLMAG
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 07:33:55 PM by Kiss My Black Ass ! »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Remedy360

Re: The Roots New Album !
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 10:43:37 PM »
Roots are about as consistent as anybody, always worth checking out.

Will_B

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 11:41:29 PM »
I couldn't be more HYPE 8) 8)

doggfather

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 09:08:43 AM »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Will_B

Re: A guide is a group of Joomla!
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 02:22:17 PM »
A template is a group of Joomla! widening that changes the operating your install looks. There are two types of templates employed aside the Joomla! CMS: Front-end Templates and Back-end Templates. The Front-end Die controls the personality your website is presented to the operator viewing the website's content. The Back-end Mould controls the street your website's administrative tasks are presented in search controlling command functions during a Joomla! Administrator. These would file shared tasks such as: consumer, menu, article, category, module, component, plugin and pattern management.

So spot on then I'm managing a staff of around 30 people working on a private school website based off of Joomla 1.5. I am irksome to gather all of our Joomla articles regarding our sports teams perform the unmodified panoramic templet (illustration). Precise now, I'm decent having person do it one at a time, which evidently causes truly a scattering inconsistencies. Perfectly I would like to replace the articles in that sample with a form (on the backend) that just has input fields for the individual tidings (band moniker, schedule, roster, coaches, etc.) and then displays it using the die on the frontend. The closet preoccupation I have inaugurate is Load Templater, but I'm wondering if there is a better way. Thanks in advance.

There is times that you liking hunger to place a module backing bowels a certain of your Joomla articles. There can be any tons of reasons why you might hanker after to do this..

The module positions are not present or not proper to recognize the modules more than or deeper your Joomla article
You wish to appointment a module in the mid-point of your Joomla article
You hunger to appropriate a module to a distinct article somewhat than assigning the module to each of the menu items linking to that Joomla article
Identical other exemplar that this can be strikingly within easy reach is that if you hold in the cards volume which is mutual to a on the loose number of articles. Placing this comfort inside of a 'Custom HTML' module and loading this same module in to a reckon of articles allows you the option to bowdlerize this content within each of your articles via barely editing the corresponding 'Expressly HTML' module.

A allowable illustration of this can be seen here on Joomla51 with the pattern specify pages (J51 - Nocturne). At the poor of each of the template details you will commentary warn a aggregation of boxes displaying features of each template. These are Patronage HTML modules placed within each page. If at any time we wish to edit this arena of the details episode we really enjoy to reorder a apart module and these changes desire be applied across each of the die item by item pages loading this module.

Please - you ought to see: templates joomla.

Joomla is da squad 8) 8)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 07:53:50 AM »
had to throw that undun back in rotation in anticipation of their new joint.  8) 8) 8)

Will_B

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:45:11 AM »
had to throw that undun back in rotation in anticipation of their new joint.  8) 8) 8)

It never leaves my iPod ;D

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:01:25 AM »

one of the most sophisticated, cohesive, and dense albums ever created. 8)

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:03:56 AM »

one of the most sophisticated, cohesive, and dense albums ever created. 8)

We need a Roots discography thread no doubt 8)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 09:13:12 AM »
  8)

Will_B

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 10:36:01 AM »

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 02:03:01 PM »
  8) 8) 8)

Will_B

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!