Author Topic: The Roots -...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin [Discussion Thread]  (Read 2557 times)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: The Roots -...And Then You Shoot Your Cousin [Discussion Thread]
« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2014, 09:06:40 AM »

New York’s Public Theater sits along Lafayette Street, an easily forgettable thoroughfare.

As the grid of Midtown slowly peels away to Lower Manhattan’s tangled, arterial web of vendor-lined mainways and cobblestone side streets, Lafayette gashes its way from City Hall to Cooper Union, nary a care given for its neighboring Broadway or East Village’s lower numbered avenues. “F*ck you,” it screams, probably in some shrill, nasally soprano, a boroughs accent becoming harder to find as the sh*tbirds (like this author) move from places like Strongsville and Scranton to occupy its former warehouses, tenements and brownstone walk-ups. It elongates the “you,” holding it out like a balloon deflating. It’s quarrelsome and contentious–try having to live in Broadway’s legendary shadow.

But the Public Theater–Lafayette’s cool with it. The distinguished, 158-year-old building’s columned front can be reached from the smooth slatted stairs leading to the double doors that freckle its face. Walk inside, become engulfed by its high-ceilinged lobby, but make sure it inevitably spits you up to its slightly congested second floor where you can find the Public’s Anspacher Theater.

If, by chance, you remembered Lafayette and you schlepped its several blocks to its Public Theater on the night of Tuesday, May 13, you would’ve seen The Roots perform their eleventh studio album, …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin, for a packed house.
Well, sort of.

The penis, and vagina, and heart-shaped balloons fell from the ceiling right around the point when the red floor lights began flickering and a crackhead thin dancer/motion artist–surrounded on three sides by the audience–began freaking out.

To say that The Roots’ premiere of their new album was unconventional would be neither over or understatement. They definitely played the album: “Tomorrow,” the album’s second single, closed out the set, spiraling high into the rafters like evaporating rain and Black Thought’s spoken-word introduction and interludes had to have contained certain songs’ lyrics.

The thing is, you couldn’t tell when one song began and others ended, or what was album material and what wasn’t. Black Thought, shrouded in a baggy hoody, appeared intermittently throughout the entire performance to bark prophecies like, “N*ggas! Jews! Crackas! If there’s a Hell below… Then we’re all gonna go!” ?uestlove literally oversaw the four (or was it five?) piece Metropolis Ensemble from atop a black-boxed pyramid that rose steadily above the floor and held his DJ equipment and drum set. Sampling artist Jeremy Ellis provided certain tracks with electronic noodling fests, which was met by the crowd’s applause each time. And there was a didgeridoo, no sh*t (provided by Craig S. Harris).

So it wasn’t a traditional playing of the album, but that befits what The Roots do. Without getting into too much of the nitty-gritty of …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin (Tuesday night was really my first “complete” listen), the performance’s program explains the LP as “rais[ing] a series of challenges to its listeners: What is hip-hop, anyway? What does it sound like, and why? What is it supposed to accomplish?” Hence, the didgeridoo.

If going by The Roots’ performance, Hip-Hop sounds like a lot of things, but its version of Hip-Hop oftentimes becomes too confusing and convoluted in its own idea of imagery. It was hard to follow along with Black Thought’s ramblings and the symbolism of the performance’s random dancers and actors. But that’s okay. It was entertaining, thought-provoking (“okay, what does this right here all mean?”) and definitely entertaining–Captain Kirk Douglas’ near-set-ending guitar solo, FTW.

It was sort of a listening party, but it wasn’t. It was better.

Album listening events and parties are a dime a dozen here in New York City, and really they’re nothing more than industry-insider schmooze-fests and souped-up happy hours with open bars (which are always welcomed, by the way).
They’re not as interesting or glamorous as friends might think, but again: open bars are always welcomed. Free booze aside, Hip-Hop labels and artists should look at what The Roots have done with this two-night performance at The Public Theater as a way in which they can reinvigorate the idea of an album release or listening party. It was somewhat high-minded and bourgie, as The Roots are increasingly fond of presenting their work, but the fact that it ditched the status quo for listening events should be applauded.

But throwing a successful listening party doesn’t require Roots-level money and thought. Mac Miller had a great shindig for his Watching Movies With The Sound Off LP last June at the West Village’s IFC Theater. Supplying a 6-year-old’s catering dream by supplying endless amounts of Joe’s of Carmine pizza (!!), candy and soda, Mac rented out an entire theater and screened a nature film his buddy made that synced up perfectly with the album. Because guests were literally watching a movie, the whole thing dissuaded people from being the asshole who illuminates the pitch-black theater with his/her iPhone, so all attention was on the music and the sea turtle that was on the screen*.

In both cases it wasn’t a party people were attending, despite the fact they were social gatherings. More or less they were listening events, emphasizing the work they were promoting, which in the end causes two things: 1) it makes me want to know more about the music because that’s what was being forced on me and 2) it causes me to actually remember the event itself, which leads to posts like these.

What happened off Lafayette Street at the Public Theater on Tuesday, May 13 was a good idea, and I’m not talking about the music.

Read more: http://smokingsection.uproxx.com/TSS/2014/05/the-roots-and-then-you-shoot-your-cousin-listening-party#ixzz325FipgKv
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:22:20 AM by Kiss My Black Ass ! »
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

doggfather

https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Will_B

« Reply #92 on: May 19, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »
Top of the iTunes hiphop chart too

Blood$

« Reply #93 on: May 19, 2014, 07:58:26 AM »
THE ROOTS is TAILOR MADE 4 pretentious pseudo intellectual HIPSTERS.

I like The Roots and have heard 2 or 3 of their albums just because my taste is random and varies but this quote is the truth whether it was trolling or not

I downloaded this album, will bump later

Seagully

« Reply #94 on: May 19, 2014, 11:58:32 AM »
THE ROOTS is TAILOR MADE 4 pretentious pseudo intellectual HIPSTERS.

I like The Roots and have heard 2 or 3 of their albums just because my taste is random and varies but this quote is the truth whether it was trolling or not

SENSITIVE HIPSTERS CANNOT HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

Blood$

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2014, 01:07:26 PM »
really though

J. B A N A N A S

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2014, 01:59:24 PM »
THE ROOTS ARE TOO MAINSTREAM FOR HIPSTERS. THEIR MUSIC IS FOR WHITE AFRICAN-AMERICAN STUDIES TEACHERS.

Will_B

« Reply #97 on: May 19, 2014, 02:27:28 PM »
Can't believe some of these comments

People need to go listen to Illadelph Halflife and slap they selves

Blood$

« Reply #98 on: May 19, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
People need to go listen to Illadelph Halflife and slap they selves

I've heard that, Do You Want More, Things Fall Apart, and Game Theory

good albums but Seagully's comment still reigns supreme in this thread

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #99 on: May 19, 2014, 03:59:31 PM »
So because you identify as a sensitive nerd every person on earth who likes their music is exactly like you is what youre telling me? Youre the same guy who be on here sweatin Gucci Mane. WTF
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2014, 04:25:13 PM »
So Cm is known as a big TI fan on here. If im to believe the dumbass generalizations you guys are tellin me on here that means hes some street hoodlum type cat. But he listen to the Roots too. Two completely different styles of music. So how can that be n vice a versa please explain? Why would someone who listens to the Roots wanna hear TI talking about fuckin models popping bottles moving bricks if they some sensitive anti violent wimp? Shit Cormega one of my favorite rappers. He came out rappin about gangsta shit but now in his 40s damn near all his music is straight introspective music similar to the Roots shit. So if im his fan what am I? A thug or a backpacker? Its a  maturity thing thats all. Some of us actually listen to the music and can take in n appreciate all forms of good music. Doesnt define our personality cuz I know backpackers and street dudes that bump Cormega. Just like I know weak ass dudes that listen to straight gangster music and dudes who listen to the Roots who wont hesitate to slap the shit out of somebody tryin to call them sensitive.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #101 on: May 19, 2014, 05:10:51 PM »
So because you identify as a sensitive nerd every person on earth who likes their music is exactly like you is what youre telling me? Youre the same guy who be on here sweatin Gucci Mane. WTF
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #102 on: May 19, 2014, 06:02:37 PM »
So Cm is known as a big TI fan on here. If im to believe the dumbass generalizations you guys are tellin me on here that means hes some street hoodlum type cat. But he listen to the Roots too. Two completely different styles of music. So how can that be n vice a versa please explain? Why would someone who listens to the Roots wanna hear TI talking about fuckin models popping bottles moving bricks if they some sensitive anti violent wimp? Shit Cormega one of my favorite rappers. He came out rappin about gangsta shit but now in his 40s damn near all his music is straight introspective music similar to the Roots shit. So if im his fan what am I? A thug or a backpacker? Its a  maturity thing thats all. Some of us actually listen to the music and can take in n appreciate all forms of good music. Doesnt define our personality cuz I know backpackers and street dudes that bump Cormega. Just like I know weak ass dudes that listen to straight gangster music and dudes who listen to the Roots who wont hesitate to slap the shit out of somebody tryin to call them sensitive.
these nerds have no clue homie. I'm too broad for these wiggers right I got the old teddy p, emotions, bloodstone, stylistics, etc. then I can turn around and throw some gangstarr on. I love the roots and i'll knock a fool head off they shoulders at the same time like it's nothin'. listenin' to gangsta music don't make u a gangsta these fairies got it twisted. fuck these chumps !

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #103 on: May 19, 2014, 06:12:58 PM »
"i'm too broad for these wiggers"

yes, because you post such introspective, thought provoking posts with your "I FUCKED YOUR MOTHER" insults.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #104 on: May 19, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
  8) 8) 8) 8)