Author Topic: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?  (Read 2796 times)

BiG*WiCkEd

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • G'z Up*HoEz DoWn
Re: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
This will always be one of my favorite albums.  Dj Pooh's sound is way too funky on this.

2001 gets played consistently and will never get old. 

Snoop was just in a different head space and it is what is.  This album is just the shit.

w
What Goes Around, Comes Around

My enemies deceased
Died like a bitch
When my album hit tha streetz
Niggas Can't C Me

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2014, 09:30:43 PM »
doggystyle is 100x better

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2014, 11:16:10 PM »
This will always be one of my favorite albums.  Dj Pooh's sound is way too funky on this.

Snoop was just in a different head space and it is what is.  This album is just the shit.

w

Yup! Obviously not better than Doggystyle but I've always liked Doggfather. Got some dope ass songs. Downtown Assassins, Blueberry, Gold Rush, Vapor etc. I understand how some say it feels like it's dry but that's kinda why I like it. It just has more of a RAW feeling. Like more of an underground feeling. I think it's top 3 Snoop album.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

doggfather

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:58 AM »
This will always be one of my favorite albums.  Dj Pooh's sound is way too funky on this.

Snoop was just in a different head space and it is what is.  This album is just the shit.

w

+1
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

WestSideDon

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2014, 07:16:59 AM »
Refuse to believe that shit. That sounds like Snoop's writing.

Was listening to the songs again, and was basically thinking the same thing. Snoops writing is on point on the good songs here, so I think he couldve easily came up with verses like on downtown assassins and 2001. Especially lines like

I hope things get better for you
Cos I'mma make things get better for me
And keep the Doggystyle hottest thing out the LB
The L-L-G wit DPG by the sea
We ride at high tide, the East is my side

or

They say once upon a time in the land of the loccs
Where it's all about dope and pistol smoke
I packs me a heavy calibre .38 revolver
Weed out, Dp'd out, GC'd out
Oh, did you not know
Snoop wit the .44 knockin at'cha door

on 2001 sound like old school snoop lyrics. He has even done some annotations about the lyrics on rapgenius where he explains the meaning and how the lyrics are intended, so it's even more unlikely that he didnt write it himself.

But anyway, listening to the album again I may have to take back the "not above average" argument. The album is for sure above average, especially when compared to some other albums back then and like every album nowdays, but not great or even classic. There are just too many tracks where snoop sounds like a zombie unmotivated to spit a single bar, and though its just stupid to compare the production and the style on here to DS, everybody should admit that the production here is not on the same level, but still the album offers a handfull of good to pretty great songs, of course not even close to doggystyle, but like I said pretty great none the less.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2014, 07:45:11 AM »
listened to this again along with "Kuruption!" yesterday...whether he wrote it or not Snoop's flow on "2001" was sick 8)

I changed my mind about the album too I think its pretty dope maybe even his 2nd best album up there with "Tha Last Meal"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2014, 06:12:02 PM »
Refuse to believe that shit. That sounds like Snoop's writing.

Was listening to the songs again, and was basically thinking the same thing. Snoops writing is on point on the good songs here, so I think he couldve easily came up with verses like on downtown assassins and 2001. Especially lines like

I hope things get better for you
Cos I'mma make things get better for me
And keep the Doggystyle hottest thing out the LB
The L-L-G wit DPG by the sea
We ride at high tide, the East is my side

or

They say once upon a time in the land of the loccs
Where it's all about dope and pistol smoke
I packs me a heavy calibre .38 revolver
Weed out, Dp'd out, GC'd out
Oh, did you not know
Snoop wit the .44 knockin at'cha door

on 2001 sound like old school snoop lyrics. He has even done some annotations about the lyrics on rapgenius where he explains the meaning and how the lyrics are intended, so it's even more unlikely that he didnt write it himself.

But anyway, listening to the album again I may have to take back the "not above average" argument. The album is for sure above average, especially when compared to some other albums back then and like every album nowdays, but not great or even classic. There are just too many tracks where snoop sounds like a zombie unmotivated to spit a single bar, and though its just stupid to compare the production and the style on here to DS, everybody should admit that the production here is not on the same level, but still the album offers a handfull of good to pretty great songs, of course not even close to doggystyle, but like I said pretty great none the less.

Fair analysis. I agree with most of what you said. I honestly not trippin on the beats that much. The production would NEVER top Doggystyle. But I still think it had some dope beats. Like I said earlier, they had more of an underground sound to just bust mad lyrics! The lyrics were dope also. Blueberry and Goldrush were SICK! Kurupt, Technic, Bad Azz were all on point and hungry in those days.

The Tray Deee's veres on Downtown Assassins was STUPID. I love when he says "THINK I MIGHT BE DECEASED BEFORE I REACH MY CALLIN, BUT AS LONG AS I'M HAULIN, MY HEAT I'M STALLING" HA! Fools don't know how gangsta that line is. Tray was spitting some real street shit on that song.

Kurupt verse on Gold Rush is one of my favorites. The theme makes it sick. They are outlaws and they take you on a trip through the OLD WIld Wild West!

"FROM COAST TO COAST, NIGGAS MASH ON EVERY STAGE COACH.
MY DISCIPLES, WITH RIFLES, LETHAL AND HOLD POSTS.
THE OFF-THE-ROCKER ROLLER COASTER, ON A SIX-SHOOTER HOLSTER!
WE DPG ON EVERY WANTED POSTER"

"BATTLE UP, OR SADDLE UP AND SHAKE THE SCENE!
OR GETCHA POCKETS SHAKEN, CLEAN SLUGS IN YOUR SPLEEN!
i CAN'T HELP IT, I;M HEARTLESS, YOU CAN'T HACK IT!
WITH MY SIX-SHOOTER ON MY HIP AND DUSTY JACKET!
LIKE THAT, COCK BACK, QUICK TO PULL MY STRAP!
JUST TO PUT THE HORSEMAN ON THE MAP!

KURUPT AT HIS FINEST! Technic was sick also. Snoop as well.

I like Vapors and how Snoop goes into story telling. I also always thought Groupie was like "It ain't no fun" Part 2. lol. I like Up Jump the Boogie ft Kurupt. Doggfather, 2001. I just really thought this album was underrated. Of course not DOggystyle level but still dope. Top 3 SNoop IMO. 

"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

bouli77

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 06:27:22 PM »
kurupt was still in his prime on tha doggfather, he killed all of his verses : up jump tha boogie, gold rush, groupie, blueberry

i think the final tracklisting was a bit weak compared to what it could have been but it's still a very solid album, the main problem being Snoop and his voice being too low on the tracks, other than that, as a collective effort I think it showcased the skills of his camp at the time with the LBC Crew (minus Lil Style) on their A game. 

I also think Snoop's Upside Ya Head was a very dope song, overall DJ Pooh provided good beats for the album, but I can understand how it was a disappointment for most fans since it's very different from doggystyle and not what you would expect from Snoop.

i don't think there's a terrible song on the album, there are some fillers : freestyle conversation, doggy land, me & my doggs, and some subpar songs : snoop bounce but other than that i think there's a good variety of songs and there's always songs you can bump at different times according to your mood, i think it's more of a night time album than a day time album that you would bump in the summertime as most g funk releases are.

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 06:38:21 PM »
kurupt was still in his prime on tha doggfather, he killed all of his verses : up jump tha boogie, gold rush, groupie, blueberry

i think the final tracklisting was a bit weak compared to what it could have been but it's still a very solid album, the main problem being Snoop and his voice being too low on the tracks, other than that, as a collective effort I think it showcased the skills of his camp at the time with the LBC Crew (minus Lil Style) on their A game. 

I also think Snoop's Upside Ya Head was a very dope song, overall DJ Pooh provided good beats for the album, but I can understand how it was a disappointment for most fans since it's very different from doggystyle and not what you would expect from Snoop.

i don't think there's a terrible song on the album, there are some fillers : freestyle conversation, doggy land, me & my doggs, and some subpar songs : snoop bounce but other than that i think there's a good variety of songs and there's always songs you can bump at different times according to your mood, i think it's more of a night time album than a day time album that you would bump in the summertime as most g funk releases are.

8)

WestSideDon

« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2014, 03:58:22 AM »
Anybody here has a list of all the songs which were intended to be on doggfather or recorded during the album sessions, but did't made the final cut ?
I think i saw a thread here once which explained the different stages of the album tracklist, but I can't find it right now...

HighEyeCue

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2014, 08:35:55 AM »
Anybody here has a list of all the songs which were intended to be on doggfather or recorded during the album sessions, but did't made the final cut ?
I think i saw a thread here once which explained the different stages of the album tracklist, but I can't find it right now...

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=293987.0

WestSideDon

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
Thanks homie ^^
Interessting thread for sure, Doggfather couldve been a much better album with the right tracklist...

WestSideDon

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2014, 12:44:42 PM »
I never liked the album, still don't. Its just so fuckin dry. Granola even.

You can't hate on Snoop for using ghostwriters tho. He paid his dues and wrote A LOT for Dre. Besides, atleast he didn't hide it, you see his name isn't credited on those songs.

I don't have my No Limit Top Dogg booklette anymore but I believe he thanked Tray Deee and Bad Azz for writing for him in there.

Was listenin to the top dogg album today, and checked the booklet. Like you said in the thanks section, snoop thanks tray deee & bad azz for their writing work on "doin too much" and "Just Dippin". They are even called "ghostwriters" in the booklet, I think thats because on the 2 songs snoop is also credited as a writer but the songs were most likely written by just bad azz & tray deee.  Not like on doggfather were snoops name isn't creditet (Although like some others here I doubt that these doggfather songs were not written by him, but this discussion wont lead to anything)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:46:35 PM by WestSideDon »

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2014, 12:59:24 PM »
on the howard stern interview he even mentions others writing verses for him

doggfather is a pretty boring album with a few dopeass songs

WestSideDon

« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 01:05:50 PM »
Is he talking about the top dogg album in the interview ?
Then he's obviously talking about these 2 songs.