Author Topic: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?  (Read 2712 times)

WestSideDon

Yeah, so i was listening to the Doggfather album lately. The album is pretty average, but there were a few standout tracks. But then i saw on some lyrics site that 2 of these songs "2001" and "Downtown Assassins" had no writer credit for snoop. I know the credits and booklets at death row had been pretty fucked up, like on doggystyle were there was just the comic and no infos about the writers etc. I don't have the doggfather as a physical copy, so I never saw the booklet. If someone here has it, can you tell me if theres some info on this 2 songs in the booklet ? Or any infos about the songs at all ? Was this maybe a move by Suge to discredit snoop, because we all know how fucked up the situation was at death row while this album was made ? Would be dissappointing to see these 2 great tracks were written by someone else, because especially 2001 sounded like old school snoop.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
Re: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
most likely tray deee wrote snoop's verse on downtown assassins and if I'm not mistaken, bad azz and kurupt wrote 2001. tha doggfather is a classic imo.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

WestSideDon

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 07:33:19 AM »
Where did you get that info from ?
And do you have the actual booklet ?
Would be great if you or someone else could post it ..

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:14 AM »
Where did you get that info from ?
And do you have the actual booklet ?
Would be great if you or someone else could post it ..
I have the actual album.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

WestSideDon

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 07:49:33 AM »
Ok, is that what the booklet says ?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2014, 07:52:37 AM »
2001 (bad azz, kurupt, threat, dj pooh)
down town assassins (daz and tray deee)

WestSideDon

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2014, 07:53:57 AM »
Ok, thanks but that dissappoints me a lot...

HighEyeCue

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2014, 08:10:52 AM »
yeah and there are no credits on Doggystyle so we will never know if Snoop had help on that

WestSideDon

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2014, 08:27:38 AM »
Yeah but I dont think so, Snoop was a dope writer and rapper back then. Just listen to him freestylin in these times, his lyrics were dope as fuck.
Don't forget how much he wrote for the chronic. So this is what bothers me about these 2 songs, snoop clearly had the skills to write something dope but I think he wasn't even motivated to make the album which would explain why it's just not nearly as good as chronic or doggystyle. You can clearly hear on some of the songs that he was unmotivated to actually make musicand he sounds much less energetic than on doggystyle, which is understandable. He had a fallout with Dre, his close friend Pac died, the situation at death row was fucked up and he was facing a murder trial. Thats a lot of shit, so I can imagine its pretty difficult to focus on writing and recording music while youre facing all of this.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 08:45:55 AM »
Yeah but I dont think so, Snoop was a dope writer and rapper back then. Just listen to him freestylin in these times, his lyrics were dope as fuck.
Don't forget how much he wrote for the chronic. So this is what bothers me about these 2 songs, snoop clearly had the skills to write something dope but I think he wasn't even motivated to make the album which would explain why it's just not nearly as good as chronic or doggystyle. You can clearly hear on some of the songs that he was unmotivated to actually make musicand he sounds much less energetic than on doggystyle, which is understandable. He had a fallout with Dre, his close friend Pac died, the situation at death row was fucked up and he was facing a murder trial. Thats a lot of shit, so I can imagine its pretty difficult to focus on writing and recording music while youre facing all of this.

true. You could barely hear Snoop on some of the tracks like Doggfather, Freestyle conversation etc. I always thought that was due to the mixing of the vocals but Snoop just didnt bring it on those songs. On other tracks like Gold Rush, Downtown Assassins, 2001 he ripped. It was a very uneven record due to the inconsistency.

WestSideDon

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 08:50:01 AM »
And that is why the record was such a major let down compared to his previous work. Even the best mc can't do good music without motivation.
The album concept was pretty cool with all that mafia/godfather style but he shouldn't have done the album this way and with songs like freestyle conversation where even his flow was a complete mess. So I can't agree with anyone calling this a classic, because it isn't even an above average album. And thats coming from me, one of the biggest snoop fans out there.

Mr Wicked

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • way more karma than posts
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »
Bad Azz even had a small cameo on the first verse of "2001". maybe each of them (bad azz, kurupt, threat) wrote 1 verse for that song.

He had a fallout with Dre, his close friend Pac died, the situation at death row was fucked up and he was facing a murder trial. Thats a lot of shit, so I can imagine its pretty difficult to focus on writing and recording music while youre facing all of this.

You nailed it, that's the reason why, Snoop himself said he wasn't happy with that album.

Will_B

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 10:36:29 AM »
I think the final track list was one of the weakest.

Put together the earlier revision that starts with the OG of O.G. and you got a much better record 8)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 10:41:01 AM »
yeah and there are no credits on Doggystyle so we will never know if Snoop had help on that
I'm pretty sure there are writing/production credits for the Doggystyle songs featured on "Death Row's Greatest Hits" and other compilations.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 10:58:22 AM »
And that is why the record was such a major let down compared to his previous work. Even the best mc can't do good music without motivation.
The album concept was pretty cool with all that mafia/godfather style but he shouldn't have done the album this way and with songs like freestyle conversation where even his flow was a complete mess. So I can't agree with anyone calling this a classic, because it isn't even an above average album. And thats coming from me, one of the biggest snoop fans out there.

I can't lie when I first bought tha doggfather I expected some g funk soundin' record like doggystyle or dogg food. listenin' to it now it's one of snoop's best albums.