Author Topic: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?  (Read 2746 times)

GangstaBoogy

Re: 2 of the best Doggfather Songs not written by snoop himself ?
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 12:43:58 PM »
I never liked the album, still don't. Its just so fuckin dry. Granola even.

You can't hate on Snoop for using ghostwriters tho. He paid his dues and wrote A LOT for Dre. Besides, atleast he didn't hide it, you see his name isn't credited on those songs.

I don't have my No Limit Top Dogg booklette anymore but I believe he thanked Tray Deee and Bad Azz for writing for him in there.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

WestSideDon

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 02:42:00 PM »
Yeah and cant even be called ghostwriting because it clearly says who wrote what in the booklet.
And ive checked the booklet for Snoop Dogg: Death Rows greatest Hits and there are writer credits for all of the songs.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 03:06:13 PM »
Snoop admitted to having ghostwriters later in his career...I think DOC might have wrote for Snoop on BCT

WestSideDon

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
DOC wasnt ghostwriting for Snoop, on BCT he was a co-writer on like 3 songs or something.
Snoop even said it himself in an interview that they wrote some of the songs on that album together, like "Thats That Shit".

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2014, 03:53:06 PM »
DOC wasnt ghostwriting for Snoop, on BCT he was a co-writer on like 3 songs or something.
Snoop even said it himself in an interview that they wrote some of the songs on that album together, like "Thats That Shit".

Round Here was another one off that album

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2014, 04:48:53 PM »
Yeah but I dont think so, Snoop was a dope writer and rapper back then. Just listen to him freestylin in these times, his lyrics were dope as fuck.
Don't forget how much he wrote for the chronic. So this is what bothers me about these 2 songs, snoop clearly had the skills to write something dope but I think he wasn't even motivated to make the album which would explain why it's just not nearly as good as chronic or doggystyle. You can clearly hear on some of the songs that he was unmotivated to actually make musicand he sounds much less energetic than on doggystyle, which is understandable. He had a fallout with Dre, his close friend Pac died, the situation at death row was fucked up and he was facing a murder trial. Thats a lot of shit, so I can imagine its pretty difficult to focus on writing and recording music while youre facing all of this.

Your right, Snoop was totally unmotivated for the album.  That's why he didn't have the energy to keep riding for the West Coast and to ride for his homie Pac.  He had just escaped 25 to Life in Prison when he beat his murder trial, Snoop was becoming a family man and wanted to get away from gangsta rap the way Dre tried to with Aftermath Presents...

But still... Snoop was still on top of the game, and everybody was demanding that gangsta shit.  So Snoop was caught in no man's land.  Thank God, he had his niccaz from the LBC Crew and the Dogg Pound, they were still on fire at that point in their careers and any dopeness you hear on the Doggfather is because of the Dogg Pound and the LBC Crew.  His homies came through and made it an album that people still listen to and some even love to this day.

...For me though, this album was the greatest disappointment (other than Pac dying) in all my years as a hip-hop fan.   I had been waiting for that Snoop album for so long and Snoop was like Michael Jordan or Joe Montana, he was like that hero that never let you down.  In a big game Jordan always rose to the occasion.  When your a kid you really believe in heroes and you think they are superhuman.  With Suge in prison, Pac dead, and Dre's Aftermath album coming out weak.... ALL EYES WERE ON SNOOP.  He was the fuccing last man standing for all the hip-hop that I had grown up to and that had been the soundtrack to so many good times I had in the mid-90's.

...I still remember the feeling when I was flipping through the album.  Expecting that banger... expecting that "Gin and Juice" type of cut.  The kind of cut that would be like an anthem for the whole school year... my life had been great thus far but had suddenly fallen apart and I was counting on tha Doggfather album for inspiration to bring me back to life. I kept flipping thru, and by the time I got to like track 18, then 19... this impending doom came over me.... finally I got to the last joint and thought there was still hope like it was a 2pac dedication or something and it turned out to be nothing.......

That spelled the end for the West Coast dominance and the mid-90's golden age of rap.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 04:50:27 PM by ابرهم عبدالصمد »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

HighEyeCue

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2014, 06:42:26 PM »
Yeah but I dont think so, Snoop was a dope writer and rapper back then. Just listen to him freestylin in these times, his lyrics were dope as fuck.
Don't forget how much he wrote for the chronic. So this is what bothers me about these 2 songs, snoop clearly had the skills to write something dope but I think he wasn't even motivated to make the album which would explain why it's just not nearly as good as chronic or doggystyle. You can clearly hear on some of the songs that he was unmotivated to actually make musicand he sounds much less energetic than on doggystyle, which is understandable. He had a fallout with Dre, his close friend Pac died, the situation at death row was fucked up and he was facing a murder trial. Thats a lot of shit, so I can imagine its pretty difficult to focus on writing and recording music while youre facing all of this.

Your right, Snoop was totally unmotivated for the album.  That's why he didn't have the energy to keep riding for the West Coast and to ride for his homie Pac.  He had just escaped 25 to Life in Prison when he beat his murder trial, Snoop was becoming a family man and wanted to get away from gangsta rap the way Dre tried to with Aftermath Presents...

But still... Snoop was still on top of the game, and everybody was demanding that gangsta shit.  So Snoop was caught in no man's land.  Thank God, he had his niccaz from the LBC Crew and the Dogg Pound, they were still on fire at that point in their careers and any dopeness you hear on the Doggfather is because of the Dogg Pound and the LBC Crew.  His homies came through and made it an album that people still listen to and some even love to this day.

...For me though, this album was the greatest disappointment (other than Pac dying) in all my years as a hip-hop fan.   I had been waiting for that Snoop album for so long and Snoop was like Michael Jordan or Joe Montana, he was like that hero that never let you down.  In a big game Jordan always rose to the occasion.  When your a kid you really believe in heroes and you think they are superhuman.  With Suge in prison, Pac dead, and Dre's Aftermath album coming out weak.... ALL EYES WERE ON SNOOP.  He was the fuccing last man standing for all the hip-hop that I had grown up to and that had been the soundtrack to so many good times I had in the mid-90's.

...I still remember the feeling when I was flipping through the album.  Expecting that banger... expecting that "Gin and Juice" type of cut.  The kind of cut that would be like an anthem for the whole school year... my life had been great thus far but had suddenly fallen apart and I was counting on tha Doggfather album for inspiration to bring me back to life. I kept flipping thru, and by the time I got to like track 18, then 19... this impending doom came over me.... finally I got to the last joint and thought there was still hope like it was a 2pac dedication or something and it turned out to be nothing.......

That spelled the end for the West Coast dominance and the mid-90's golden age of rap.

same way I felt about "Kuruption!" when it came out in '98

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »

Kuruption (even though Kurupt admits he had lost his fire)... I don't remember being that disappointed in that album.  Maybe I should of been, but I wasn't.  It came out around the same time as Bad Azz Word On The Streetz and although the albums didn't blow up, for me personally it was like a West Coast resurgence in my own stereo system.

"We Can Freak It" was a jam that at the time I was able to bump like I bumped "Let's Play House", so I was pretty much satisfied with the first single.  It wasn't a catastrophic drop off like "Who Am I" was compared to "Snoop's Upside Your Head".  

Also, the Kuruption album had some hidden gems, like track #6 on the East Coast album "The Life" I must've bumped that track 1,000 times when that album came out, just looking out my window reminiscin and shit... that was a beautiful song... Also at least Kuruption did have Dre on it.  Dre even did a video and mini-movie for the song "Questions".  It had a Warren G joint as well... Daz was still hot at the time and him, Soopafly and Tray Dee helped out on a few nice joints.

So... yeah, as much as that album sucked I actually had no disappointment over Kuruption.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 08:39:03 PM »
i bett Kurupt wrote a bunch of Snoops dopest shit

BIGWORM

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »
This album was a let down as sophomore because of the AMAZING doggystyle album however it still shits on 99.9 percent of "SHIT-HOP" released now a day'z!!!

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:57 PM »
This album was a let down as sophomore because of the AMAZING doggystyle album however it still shits on 99.9 percent of "SHIT-HOP" released now a day'z!!!

basically it shits on anything released nowadays besides the Kool G Rap and Necro album and the Gore Elohim album (of Non Phixion)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »
b

Agreed.

...But the album is still bad karma for me.  I swear if I put the album on it starts to get cloudy and rain starts pouring... no bullshit

HighEyeCue

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 12:29:52 AM »

Kuruption (even though Kurupt admits he had lost his fire)... I don't remember being that disappointed in that album.  Maybe I should of been, but I wasn't.  It came out around the same time as Bad Azz Word On The Streetz and although the albums didn't blow up, for me personally it was like a West Coast resurgence in my own stereo system.

"We Can Freak It" was a jam that at the time I was able to bump like I bumped "Let's Play House", so I was pretty much satisfied with the first single.  It wasn't a catastrophic drop off like "Who Am I" was compared to "Snoop's Upside Your Head".  

Also, the Kuruption album had some hidden gems, like track #6 on the East Coast album "The Life" I must've bumped that track 1,000 times when that album came out, just looking out my window reminiscin and shit... that was a beautiful song... Also at least Kuruption did have Dre on it.  Dre even did a video and mini-movie for the song "Questions".  It had a Warren G joint as well... Daz was still hot at the time and him, Soopafly and Tray Dee helped out on a few nice joints.

So... yeah, as much as that album sucked I actually had no disappointment over Kuruption.

yeah most of the West Coast Disc was fire but the East Coast disc was a huge letdown...other than Buckshot there was a bunch of c grade east coast rappers featured that had no business sharing the mic with Kurupt

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 12:23:05 PM »
Lol the fact that Snoop's music has to be compared to todays music (which is clearly the WORST era for rap music) says a lot.

Looking back, its no wonder the West Coast fell off so hard.

- Pac died so our leader was gone
- Dre gave us a bunch of dull piano music with his early Aftermath releases
- Snoop gave us Doggfather then a "dirty-south" inspired album
- Kurupt gave us We Can Freak it (classic) then a double disc of ass
- Cube was inactive and focusing on movies

all our heavyweights were giving us letdowns. Mack 10, Coolio, E-40, niggas like that were still poppin but we needed the guys listed above.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 04:36:50 PM »
Refuse to believe that shit. That sounds like Snoop's writing.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"