Author Topic: Most underrated Death Row Artist?  (Read 1013 times)

Jimmy H.

Re: Most underrated Death Row Artist?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
I'd say Rage was a victim of timing. She needed to come out in 1994-95 to be most effective.  She was a Dr. Dre protégé and once the balance of power shifted to Suge and Pac became the top guy, it was a new ball game. Anyone from the original roster that is putting out an album after "All Eyez" is basically putting out a "Doggfather".

We all know death row in it's prime had pretty much the greatest roster of rappers, singers and producers of all time, but who do you think did't get the recognition he deserved ?
I think that's a little bit of a hyperbole.  I'd say they were the quintessential West Coast rap label of the 90's though.

Hack Wilson - real

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 07:35:40 PM »
Death Row did work pretty slow but I can see why they didn't want to put Rage out before Dogg Pound.  Obviously there were enough dope beats to go around but dudes like Snoop passed on them   (i.e. 2pac's Hail Mary and Friends)

Jimmy H.

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »
I don't fault them for not putting out Rage but like I said, she was a victim of timing. Her buzz with "Afro Puffs" was strong but by the time, they were ready to get an album out on here, the momentum was lost.

123imagee

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 04:42:37 AM »
Paradise

Young Soldierz

Prince Ital Joe

CPO The Boz Hogg

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »
L.B.C crew were not deathrow, were they? They were signed to doggystyle taht was going to be distributed through deathrow? eh i dunno.
 I'd say rage, Sam sneed , Soopafly and J flexx.
 Rage could give Crooked i a run for his money on tha mic, Sneed and Flexx were/are both good rappers and producers, Fly can rap, produce and sing? how many artists can do all of that?

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
I don't fault them for not putting out Rage but like I said, she was a victim of timing. Her buzz with "Afro Puffs" was strong but by the time, they were ready to get an album out on here, the momentum was lost.
I fault them cause afro puffs would have easily gotten her a 2x platinum album. above the rim soundtrack did big numbers based off that single. regulate and the swv remix helped but in 94 everybody was on that afro puffs joint.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 10:35:07 AM »

L.B.C crew were not deathrow, were they? They were signed to doggystyle taht was going to be distributed through deathrow? eh i dunno.
I'm pretty sure they were Death Row.  Death Row was not a distribution company so they would have to go through Death Row and have the label logo imprint on the package. More importantly, Death Row seemed to retain the rights and masters since Wideawake was able to put out their lost album without Snoop getting any "executive producer" credit. Just my theory.

I fault them cause afro puffs would have easily gotten her a 2x platinum album. above the rim soundtrack did big numbers based off that single. regulate and the swv remix helped but in 94 everybody was on that afro puffs joint.
But I'm not sure it was in the cards. It would have needed to come out around the same time or before "Dogg Food" and Dre's involvement as producer would need to be a catalyst in that and at that time, I think he was in different places.

adi760

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 11:02:18 AM »
Death Row supposed to be distributor and Doggystyle, Makaveli and MC Hammer's record company shoulded by under Suge's "control". That was a plan - tu put LBC Crew album via Doggystyle, Outlawz via Makaveli and Hammer.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qvQn6pva7xk</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/8lQPYkUj4rI</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ITUONxDP4DA</a>

bouli77

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 12:15:45 PM »
Paradise

Young Soldierz

Prince Ital Joe

CPO The Boz Hogg

prince ital joe was pretty dull, i don't think he's underrated, at all

i'd say OFTB and LBC Crew

ToOoOoN!!!

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »
Mc hammer

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Re: Most underrated
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
lady of rage

Definitely not.... she deserved to do the joints she did and nothing more.  Once Dre left Death Row she was finished.  That's not a diss.. the shit she was on when Dre was there was fire... but nothing more nothing less for than what she got.

LBC Crew was pretty much on Doggystyle Records, and then Doggystyle under Death Row so i don't know if Techniec really counts....

I think all those niccaz like Ital Joe, Big Pimpin, W Ballz that contributed were under-rated.  They really brought a lot to the table and it probably got overlooked because they were never featured, but they did their thang....

Nate was probably the most under-rated though because he was the greatest artists on Death Row that never got a chance to be featured on an album.

Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

123imagee

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »
Female: Paradise (Fuck Rage)
Male: Redrum
Singer: 6 Feet Deep
Producer: Sean "Barney Rubble" Thomas

MistaNova

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2014, 10:43:24 AM »
Whoever designed the album artworks.

dnjp4life

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 03:05:10 AM »
If everything was done right, Danny Boy's album should have dropped shortly after 'All Eyez On Me', and it probably would have sold nicely. 
Nate Dogg was well known at the time from all of his features on other artists' albums, but his album (G-Funk Classics Volume 1) should also have been released in 1996 instead of it being rushed out and then quickly pulled from shelves.  I still am unsure what happened with that whole situation.  Shame really because I consider it a classic Death Row Records album.
In terms of the newer roster on the label, obviously Crooked I never had that debut album behind him which could have propelled him to stardom in the early 2000s.

WestSideDon

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 04:39:54 AM »
While reading this I just realised again how much great releases we couldve had, but Suge was just too stupid to manage the different artists and their work. Damn shame...