Author Topic: Ghostwriting in HipHop  (Read 935 times)

WestSideDon

Re: Ghostwriting in HipHop
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2014, 09:47:36 AM »
Kurupt for Soopafly

I doubt that's true. Where did you get that from?

Snoop has used ghostwriters for a long time. For example, Snoop didn't write his verse on "Lay Low", Xzibit did that. He didn't get credited on the booklet though. Snoop has written for other artists in the past too though, "Niggaz Don't Give A Fuck" from the "Poetic Justice" OST was originally his song, but he gave it to Daz and Kurupt.

But something seems a little odd about this. Snoop is one of the few rappers I know which don't use ghostwriters in the classic sense (Writing for sb without receiving writer credits), if someone co-writes or does an entire verse for him, he always gets the writer or co-writer credit. I know Snoop said it in an interview that Xzibit wrote the Lay Low verse, but I don't know, I still refuse to believe that. Snoop wouldve given him a writer credit or at least a co-writer credit or a shout out in the thanks section.  But to give some new impulses to the discussion:

I also heard that Proof did some ghostwriting for Eminem. Same with Royce.
And the WTT Album by Kanye & Jay, i read that Kany didn't write anything besides Who Gon Stop Me. There have also been many ghotwriting accusations for his other albums.
And of course the controversy about Nas untitled album.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
Kurupt for Soopafly

Snoop has used ghostwriters for a long time. For example, Snoop didn't write his verse on "Lay Low", Xzibit did that. He didn't get credited on the booklet though. Snoop has written for other artists in the past too though, "Niggaz Don't Give A Fuck" from the "Poetic Justice" OST was originally his song, but he gave it to Daz and Kurupt.

But something seems a little odd about this. Snoop is one of the few rappers I know which don't use ghostwriters in the classic sense (Writing for sb without receiving writer credits), if someone co-writes or does an entire verse for him, he always gets the writer or co-writer credit. I know Snoop said it in an interview that Xzibit wrote the Lay Low verse, but I don't know, I still refuse to believe that. Snoop wouldve given him a writer credit or at least a co-writer credit or a shout out in the thanks section.  But to give some new impulses to the discussion:

I also heard that Proof did some ghostwriting for Eminem. Same with Royce.
And the WTT Album by Kanye & Jay, i read that Kany didn't write anything besides Who Gon Stop Me. There have also been many ghotwriting accusations for his other albums.
And of course the controversy about Nas untitled album.

xzibit probably took an upfront payment for that verse from snoop instead of gettin' credit and collectin' royalties. tray deee mentioned awhile back how snoop would pay niggas 5-10 stacks to write a verse for him. sheeeit snoop need to holla at me i'll write him some vintage snoop g shit in no time. LOL
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

WestSideDon

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2014, 10:20:01 AM »
Could be, but still it seems suspicious...
But what about the Royce & Proof Rumors?
Anyone here knows something about that?

bouli77

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »
Kurupt for Soopafly

i dioubt he wrote for him on a regular basis and Soopafly is a bona fide on his own, but I don't hang has Kurupt written all over it.

as for Warren G, I can't find the interview, but he did say that he used Bad Azz as a ghostwriter whenever he needed to, during the Take a look over your shoulder / I want it all era.

Snoop used plenty of co-writers and ghostwriters, I remember scrolling down the comment section of youtube for Who Got Some Gangsta Shit, and people were talking about who the "that's why we X'd your bitch ass from the pound" line was aimed at and some guy say that his older brother used to write for Snoop during those days, and it's not like he was bragging and it's not to be taken as gospel but I wouldn't be surprised, Snoop, even if he did write for some people and has some songwriting skills has always been more of a freestyler than an actual lyricist / songwriter.

I know Sauce Money is a bona fide lyricist too and wrote for a lot of peeps, he wrote "i'll be missing you" among other stuff. JD wrote for a lot of So So Def acts (Kriss Kross, Bow Wow) but I don't know if we can call that ghostwriting

Okka

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »
Kurupt for Soopafly

i dioubt he wrote for him on a regular basis and Soopafly is a bona fide on his own, but I don't hang has Kurupt written all over it.

as for Warren G, I can't find the interview, but he did say that he used Bad Azz as a ghostwriter whenever he needed to, during the Take a look over your shoulder / I want it all era.

Snoop used plenty of co-writers and ghostwriters, I remember scrolling down the comment section of youtube for Who Got Some Gangsta Shit, and people were talking about who the "that's why we X'd your bitch ass from the pound" line was aimed at and some guy say that his older brother used to write for Snoop during those days, and it's not like he was bragging and it's not to be taken as gospel but I wouldn't be surprised, Snoop, even if he did write for some people and has some songwriting skills has always been more of a freestyler than an actual lyricist / songwriter.

I know Sauce Money is a bona fide lyricist too and wrote for a lot of peeps, he wrote "i'll be missing you" among other stuff. JD wrote for a lot of So So Def acts (Kriss Kross, Bow Wow) but I don't know if we can call that ghostwriting

I think Jermaine Dupri himself uses ghostwriters. Xzibit even dissed him about that.

Blood$

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2014, 12:16:42 PM »
there was some dude on a Smack DVD like a decade ago that claimed to have written Scarface's "My Block"  :-X

HighEyeCue

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2014, 06:30:15 PM »
Could be, but still it seems suspicious...
But what about the Royce & Proof Rumors?
Anyone here knows something about that?

never heard that but it could be true...Em's lyrics have fallen off big time since the Eminem Show/8 Mile days

Lucifuge

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 02:16:20 AM »
it is accepted alot in pop music that songs are not written by the singer but in hip hop it doesn't fly somehow...as far as rappers who have used writers there there are many that are alleged
Off the top of my head

Kurupt for Daz
Crooked I for Kurupt

even Nas was rumored to have Jay Electronica rhymes on his last album

Dont get it? Crooked wrights for Kurupt, then Kurupt sell it to Daz?
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERO!!!

Detox 2000Never

tyranasaurus rex like fuck a bitch
i once saw a pterdactyl fuck a bitch
eat a bowl these bitch gobbling dick
hoes forgot to eat a dick a shut the fuck up
roll through crenshaw on my pterdactyl like what up!
By kevin t as Kurupt :D

bouli77

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 05:53:33 AM »
not all the time, crooked I did write for kurupt at some point, i'm guessin during the time they were on death row together (2002-2005) and Kurupt wrote a lot of Daz's early stuff (dogg food, etc.)

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 11:51:37 AM »
cormega wrote half of nas verse on affirmative action.
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

Blood$

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:19 PM »
cormega wrote half of nas verse on affirmative action.

never heard of this but I definitely believe it lol

there was rumors of Stic Man writing for the N****r album but both of them ended up denying it

Okka

« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2014, 02:40:45 AM »
not all the time, crooked I did write for kurupt at some point, i'm guessin during the time they were on death row together (2002-2005) and Kurupt wrote a lot of Daz's early stuff (dogg food, etc.)

Kurupt said that when they were beefin' with Daz. I doubt that it's true.

bouli77

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2014, 02:51:10 AM »
i'm inclined to believe kurupt & snoop wrote a lot of daz's early stuff

i don't believe daz capable of writing so good a verse as those on cyco lic no, do what i feel and reality, definitely not.

HighEyeCue

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2014, 05:54:14 AM »
I'm thinking Kurupt wrote Daz verse on "Got My Mind Made Up" as well...

BIGWORM

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:38 PM »
D.O.C. & RBX = The Chronic Album