Author Topic: Oh shit.. Stumbled upon O.G. version of "Doggfather" summer of 96!!  (Read 3010 times)

Free Suge Knight, Gucci Mane, & BShmurda Welcome Home Tray D

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Oh shit.. Stumbled upon O.G. version of "Doggfather" summer of 96!!
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »
Dippin in my low low and any collabo with 2pac not making the album was a huge mistake looking back

esp not having a 2pac collabo....Street Life, If There's a Cure and a few others are just sitting there wasted.

Imo they should've taken Joe off of Street Life and released it as a Single for "Gang Related"

But then again I think Pac wouldve reworked Joe's vocals on or off the track in post-production and put it on "Killuminati" but that whole thing with Snoop & the Radio Station interview about Puffy & Biggie happened so he was probably thinking about scrapping it (for the time being)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
That album had more than just Snoop's music career on the line...

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »
They cocked up the final tracklist really bad - a simple case of overthinking it as opposed to just dropping whats hot and what you feel, like Pac said.

I mean how could you leave tracks like the OG of Head Doctor and Midnite Love off the album? They were certified bangers, not to mention the other tracks that Snoop had locked up in the vault.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2014, 05:26:17 PM »
if it wasnt for dj poohs work on the doggfather it would have been an even bigger disaster.

WestSideDon

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 04:41:06 AM »
This album couldve been a classic, if they just didnt fuck up the final tracklist that bad...

HighEyeCue

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 06:21:47 AM »
I still enjoy the album for what it is, but I agree it could have been much more...

Jack Trippa 3z company ho

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
if it wasnt for dj poohs work on the doggfather it would have been an even bigger disaster.

Very true.

Will_B

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 11:48:17 AM »
Poohs involvement was cool but Snoops best material from the era wasn't with him. You could've hit random with any of Snoops tracks from the day and the album would be pretty much the same quality.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 12:26:48 PM »
Poohs involvement was cool but Snoops best material from the era wasn't with him. You could've hit random with any of Snoops tracks from the day and the album would be pretty much the same quality.

lol this ficca, what up one eyed willy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:35 PM »

He was the problem with the album.  His beats were pretty weak for the most part and his mixing skills were highly inadequate.  He was the reason why the album lacked that real whiplash.  Shit didn't have no type of bass, no kinda mud either (besides "Blueberry" and a couple other tracks)

DJ Quik should've done the whole mix and take over Pooh's contribution to beats with the exception of "Tha Vapors", tho it lacks any kind of bottom and could've been replayed a pitch or two slower.

Snoop said repeatedly he wanted a happier album (in short).  That still has nothing to do with the batch of cookies that was baked.  Songs like "My Favorite Color", "Tha Vapors", "Groupie", "You Thought", "Midnight Love", "Eastside Party", "Too Blacc" would've easily been noticed as an attempt (some a little commercial but still were pretty rooted in the traditional sound

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »
Pooh the writer and director >>>>>>> Pooh the beat maker and engineer

anyday

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2014, 10:38:47 PM »
i usually concur with most of the views you express but on this we differ...vapors was ass for sure but pooh is dope.

he brought the same energy in that he provided on dogg food the problem was i believe in the mixing of snoops vocals...doggyland, up jump the boogie and me and my doggs are essential snoop for me. vapors though is one of my least fave of his tracks.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2014, 08:34:39 AM »
Bruh I kno u not gonna sit up here and say you rather have Doggyland on the album rather than (say...) County Blues.  My Favorite Color over a stronger instrumental wouldve gone down as one of Hip Hop's most conscience gangsta rap Singles.   

Pooh's lack of thump seemed crazy. 

I think Pooh was intentionally used as an [/I]instrument for the process - no pun intended

There's more to the story behind this album than what we've been told.

Sccit

« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2014, 10:33:56 AM »
dj pooh is a dope producer, ur underratin him my bro
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 12:26:02 PM by NIKCC »

« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »
There's more to the story behind this album than what we've been told.

Share your theory bro