Author Topic: Tuxedo LP Out Now! (Mayer Hawthorne/Jake One)  (Read 5798 times)

Matty

Re: Tuxedo LP Drops 3rd March 2015! (Mayer Hawthorne/Jake One)
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 07:48:31 AM »
new snippet 8)

Matty

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 11:24:02 AM »
and a new track off the album, nate dogg heads will certainly appreciate this one :bandit:

https://soundcloud.com/tuxedofunk/numberone

k1000

Matty

k1000

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 12:08:18 AM »
we have an official "Do It" chopped remix by JRocc and it's cool:
http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2015/02/tuxedo-do-it-flaunt-edwards-edit

on a sidenote, the album has leaked. not downloaded yet.

Matty

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 05:01:25 AM »

:o 8) 8) 8)

bumping now, cats may as well hit me for linkage as most the ones on the web are KO. goes without saying, support the project when it drops. shame there's not a cd version, i'll probably end up copping the vinyl. also i wonder how it leaked seeing there's no cd release and stones throw is a small label...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 06:29:40 AM by Matty »

ICHI THE KILLER

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2015, 09:35:45 AM »

bumping now, cats may as well hit me for linkage as most the ones on the web are KO. goes without saying, support the project when it drops. shame there's not a cd version, i'll probably end up copping the vinyl. also i wonder how it leaked seeing there's no cd release and stones throw is a small label...

I saw preorder for CD on amazon and access hiphop

Matty

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »

thanks i see it on amazon and amazon uk too. weird they don't have any mention of it on the stones throw store yet. ordered 8)

Sccit

1nce was blind

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 07:06:20 PM »
Yo Matty good lookin' 4 postin' this thread! I have never heard of Mayer Hawthorne so I didn't know what 2 think when I saw his name beside Jake One. I am familiar with Jake One & like his beats so I figured this was an MC/Producer album & was willing 2 check it out bc of Jake One's talent. I wasn't xpecting this but I am definitely not disappointed. The 3 tracks on the EP r really dope & I went on Amazon 2day 2 check if they had ne nother music 2gether & noticed that the Tuxedo project is up 4 pre-order right now 4 a nice price. It is slated 2 b released on Feb. 24th so I will definitely b coppin' it.
Gonna buy the album off the strength of the EP as well so I appreciate all the info & links posted in this thread so far. That Wonderful Christmastime joint is pretty dope too haha.

bouli77

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 09:25:25 AM »

thanks i see it on amazon and amazon uk too. weird they don't have any mention of it on the stones throw store yet. ordered 8)

i will support when it drops, wanted to wait for the project to come out before listening to it, but on second thoughts i wanna brag before my friends, lol. hook a euro up 8)

Matty

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 02:29:03 PM »

i will support when it drops, wanted to wait for the project to come out before listening to it, but on second thoughts i wanna brag before my friends, lol. hook a euro up 8)

you egotistical maniac ;D lol, for real though i never wait when it's a project i'm eagerly aniticipating. exception would be if some crappy webrip surfaces which would potentially spoil things. thankfully this one is a crisp 320, i heard DJs etc got promo copies a couple of weeks back so that's prolly where the leak originates from.

anyways, the album is great. i feel it could be better, but given the scope of the project there's nothing to complain about, on the contrary. also bear in mind i've been playing 'Random Access Memories' a lot recently, which sets the bar ridicolously high for a 80s era 'throwback' album.

the sound is more gfunk/zapp/parliament inspired than i imagined, the chunky synth basslines are a prominent feature of the production throughout. this is the updated sound they've carved out - taking bombastic synths, drum slaps and fusing them with a more souled-out disco groove in the vocals and the rest of the instrumentation. i applaud this in the sense it's sonically fresh while still being a throwback. and the mix (done by an OG disco dude) brings a warmth and fullness to jake one's crisp production.

as for individual tracks, it's enjoyable from front to back, nothing even close to skippable. my personal favourites (for now) and where the production really shines would be 'R U Ready', 'The Right Time' and 'Roll Along'. that's just from the new stuff, i still think 'Do It' is a standout cut, classic joint and probably the best song hands down. 'The Right Time' is the closest to 'Do It' for a straight jam - a high energy, high tempo slammer with a classic Chic-esque strings riff spliced onto the hook. i don't think it'd be out of place next to the material on the last Chromeo LP, that's one of the things that comes to mind when listening to a lot of these tracks. but being a bit of a Hawthorne stan, the man can do no wrong and nails the vocal for these type of tracks. 'Roll Along' is your typical pimp strut groove and another place where the production works perfectly - thick bassline, cheeky brass and some great swooning from Mayer.

so there's a few thoughts. worth remembering this is quite outside the box for Jake One, who's used to producing straight hip hop beats, though this type of music has always been an influence for him. i think that shows a bit, but it's still a fantastic effort and a dream project for cats like myself. i just hope they can do another one that's even better or at least Hawthorne keeps up the funk in future ventures. a bigger team of musicians and some other co-producers would do wonders for this direction, but for what it is' 'Tuxedo' is a breath of fresh air and a marvelous project to have materialized. matty/10

lastly a new mix posted on the Tuxedo soundcloud with a Valentines/slow jam theme, but still dope and groovy https://soundcloud.com/tuxedofunk/step-in-the-name-of-love
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 08:02:45 AM by Matty »

bouli77

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 02:35:37 PM »
lol i got an implicit competition with my friend about who puts the other on the best music

anyway +1, great write up

IbblesAndBits

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 04:04:40 PM »
I'm loving the 80s vibe on this album. Gotta say it exceeded my expectations, consistent all the way through.