Author Topic: 50 Cent names Jay-Z as most overrated rapper  (Read 1447 times)

doggfather

Re: 50 Cent names Jay-Z as most overrated rapper
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2014, 06:09:05 AM »
question was about a nager, not a track what you like it.
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Blood$

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2014, 06:35:38 AM »
name one banger Jay has in his whole career?  The only thing even remotely close to a banger is the "Black Republican" joint but that's only cause it was a Nas song.  "Renegades" was better with the Royce version.

Name a Jay solo that is a banger?  Name one.... I'm waiting...

"Moment Of Clarity" that your idol produced

I can name several others but I'm lazy right now, plus you're just biased and a Jay hater so why waste the time?

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2014, 08:56:35 AM »
I think it's important to look at how Jay-Z got to this point in his career. He is not even in my top 10 greatest rappers ever list, not any more at least. But he has lasted this long because he's consistent. He is never too high, he is never too low. I'd say his highest point in his career was Blueprint, which did have two bangers, Never Change and Heart of the City. But outside that album and those tracks, he never that great. But he knew exactly the beats he wanted, he founded Kanye West who is now a mega producer, he rebuilt Def Jam. Dude has a ear for hip-hop that is top 10, but as a rapper himself, he isn't that good. But I respect the hustle and how he built what's around him.

Blood$

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2014, 09:35:56 AM »
The Blueprint > any Eminem album

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2014, 10:31:35 AM »
The Blueprint > any Eminem album

Blueprint was great, but it wasn't better than the Eminem Show in my honest opinion. I could be wrong, most list the Marshall Mathers LP as his best album, but I just really liked Eminen Show and I felt it was the defining album of Eminem's career, along with being an album that defined the culture at the time. Blueprint also did that, but the actual rapping skills was not on the Eminem Show's level.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2014, 12:28:44 PM »
Name me rappers with three classic Hip Hop albums.

doggfather

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2014, 12:34:39 PM »

run-dmc?!
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2014, 12:43:38 PM »

run-dmc?!

I never said there wasn't anyone whose made three classics. I just asked you to name them.

Then when we have our short little list of artists that do, we'll connect the dots and say that Jay-Z is not the lone fluke that has achieved that feat on a list of nothing but all-time greats. But that he is one himself.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 01:39:15 PM »

The term classic gets thrown around a lot. A classic can't be replicated, it's why it's a classic. True hip-hop classics like Illmatic, The Chronic, Paid in Full, that's very hard to do. But for the sake of just listing 4 mic quality albums and calling them classics, I'll bit. But honestly, I only call 5 mic albums classics, and very few of these albums listed I'd truly call classic, but as I said, I'd bit.

Run DMC - Run DMC, King of Rock, Raising Hell
Eric B and Rakim - Paid in Full, Follow the Leader, Don't Sweat the Technique
Boogie Down Production - Criminal Minded, By All Means Necessary, The Blueprint of Hip-Hop
Ice Cube - Amerikkka'z Most Wanted, Lethal Injection, the Predator
2Pac - Me Against the World, All Eyez on Me, Makaveli
Nas - Illmatic, It Was Written, Stillmatic
The Roots - Illadelph Halflife, Things Fall Apart, How I Got Over
Kanye West - College Dropout, Late Registration, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

And if you want to add Jay-Z, like Snoop I count only 2 classics, but that's 2 more classics than many other rappers. A few rappers I think have 2 classics

LL Cool J - Radio, Mama Said Knock You Out
Big Daddy Kane - Long Live the Kane, It’s a Big Daddy Thing
Public Enemy - It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back, Fear of a Black Planet
Kool G Rap - Road to Riches, Live and Let Die
Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm, The Low End Theory
Dr. Dre - The Chronic, 2001
Redman - Whut? Thee Album, Muddy Waters
Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle, The Last Meal
Wu Tang Clan - 36 Chambers, Wu Tang Forever
The Notorious B.I.G. - Ready to Die, Life After Death
Common - Resurrection, Be
Jay-Z - Reasonable Doubt, The Blueprint
Outkast - Aquemini, Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
DMX - It’s Dark and Hell Is Hot, …And Then There Was X
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP, The Eminem Show

WAY too many to list with one classic.

See, here is the thing. I wouldn't even argue with you that Jay-Z is a great ARTIST. It's what I think 2Pac did better than anyone else. Create hooks, find the right beat, make a great track with above average lyrics about fly shit and you got Jay-Z. And there is nothing wrong with it. Jay-Z is like the Tim Duncan of rap, you know night in and night out exactly what you are getting from Tim Duncan, 20 points, 10 rebounds, 3 assist and 2 block shots a game. And his stats season to season don't vary too much from that. Every Jay-Z album you know exactly what you are getting, some very hot beats, catchy courses you'll be humming all day, some pretty good word play about fly shit you want to buy and he's flow is smooth enough that you can listen to a whole album front to back as background music and really vibe out to that shit. Jay has his niche. But to put him top 10 greatest rappers ever, that's overrating him.

Though I am glad the Jay-Z as GOAT movement is over as well. With the great outpouring of music from Nas in his late career, I think he has more than proven he is the GOAT, as no one can touch the level of music he put out for as long as he did.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 03:37:07 PM »
Tie between Nas, Jay, n Em. Scarface most underrated. Not one bad official album in his career.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 03:56:21 PM »

2pac -  Me Against the World, All Eyez On Me, 7 Day Theory

Eminem - Slim Shady LP, Marshal Mathers LP, Eminem Show

Nas - Illmatic, Stillmatic, God's Son, Hip-Hop Is Dead, Distant Relatives

Snoop - Doggystyle, Top Dogg, Last Meal

Xzibit - At The Speed of Light, 40 Dayz and 40 Nightz, Restless

Outkast - ATLiens, Aquemini, Stankonia

Bone- Creepin on a Come Up, East99Eternal, Art of War

Dr. Dre - St8OutofCompton, Efil4Zaggin, Chronic, Dre 2001

« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:58:21 PM by ابرهم عبدالصمد »
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Blood$

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 04:51:12 PM »
Scarface most underrated. Not one bad official album in his career.

only releases that were just alright were Balls & My Word and My Homies 2 but he didn't sign off on those

aerroc

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 08:33:39 PM »
50 fluke needs to be on that list

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:20 PM »
It took me awhile to come around on him but Jay-Z makes great music.  Any artist that gets as many magazine covers and MTV play as him is going to be called "overrated" by quite a few.  That's the nature of the game.  Some will love, some will hate.  I think the guy has a nice catalog. 

Overrated doesn't mean someone is wack. It just means he's rated too high.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"

LAC/EASTSIDE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BORN AND RAISED IN THE SC to BG
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
jayz is the most overrated, dudes hiphop career is equal to a female artists. track record and all. his wife and wifes sister got more street cred then him, and they grew up with Jesus.
hes the meryil streep of hiphop.

i never believed anything he said, maybe it was the way he rapped.... but he wrote the book for artist like Aubrey DRAKE to come into the game.
you  dont have to pay dues, you dont have to have street smarts, just lie and higher security detail. Puffy tried to do this with BIGGIE but BIG wasnt feelling it, by then it was to late..... money is a muffuccah...
Drakes latest 0 to 100 track, he said we can do it on your turf, REALLY..... i doubt drake ever even met up with the bullies at the flag pole of his Canadian school, eh ?

most overrrated rapper Performers jayz, and drake.

8)

PREACH!!!!

Jay-Z is the most over-rated.  And there is no "BUT" to that statement.. there is no, "BUT I liked his first album but he sucks now" or "but I have a lot of his cd's and like some of his songs".... No if, ands, or buts, about it.

And don't think I'm being a hater because I am 32 damn years old.  I was around and a huge hip-hop head in 96 when this dude first came out and he wasn't even popular enough to have haters.  His joint with Foxy Brown was the first joint I heard and right away I took him as some sort of back-up groupie for Foxy Brown.  Like a sort of Spliff Starr for Foxy Brown.  No joke.  I just thought he was like her back-up dude or some shit like that...

Then when he came out with what I consider his best song, "Can't Knock the Hustle" with Mary J. Blige, I was taping songs off the radio and I had left the RECORD button on too long and accidentally taped that track after Do or Die "Po Pimp".  So it got left on the tape and I would always hear that song after I would listen to "Po Pimp" before I could get to the tape player and fast forward or rewind.

NOW THAT WAS HIS BEST SONG.  And I even used to fast forward over his shit.   And this was way before dude had HATERS.  Dude just sounded like a regular NY rapper, with very little charisma or originality to stand out from all the other golden age rappers of the mid-90's.

...so I always thought this dude was average at best.  I even bought his second album because I liked the joint "Sunshine" with Foxy Brown and I had a thing for Foxy Brown.  So I tried to listen to the album and I wasn't feeling it at all.   I was shocked when "Hard Knock Life" came out and dude was talking about retirement, and people were saying he was one of the greatest, and making a big deal about that shit like he was a legend or something... I couldn't believe it, and being so young I was stupid enough to buy into the hype a bit and pick up the album.  It sounded good one time through and then the second time through it was wack and I never bumped the album again after that.  

I agree. Growing up during those days as well, I  didn't know ONE cat who owned a Jay-Z cd. Not one! Most of his fame and hype he has now, came from outside the music industry. He's overrated for sure.
"Ask me why I'm high and my reply, till the day I die. Don't want to picture this cold world with sober eyes"