Author Topic: The Twitter jihad  (Read 806 times)

KrazySumwhat

The Twitter jihad
« on: June 20, 2014, 09:44:04 PM »
The Twitter jihad: ISIS insurgents in Iraq, Syria using social media to recruit fighters, promote violence

Sophisticated use of social media has become a hallmark of the conflict in Syria and Iraq, as insurgents use Facebook, Twitter and YouTube to recruit fighters and promote messages of violence.

As jihadist forces swept into Iraq, images of the massacre of hundreds of Iraqi soldiers released on Twitter were greeted with horror around the world. It was part of a deliberate effort to inspire fear.

While Vietnam was dubbed the first "television war", this conflict has become the first social media war – the Twitter jihad.

The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has a media arm with a digital strategy that could be the envy of any Western corporation.

It uses Twitter, Facebook, and tailor-made apps to boost its visibility, to spread propaganda, to reinforce its image of power and threat, and to enhance its attractiveness to vulnerable recruits.

An hour-long slick promotional video uploaded to YouTube this week depicts the violent home invasion of an Iraqi police chief.

He is blindfolded then beheaded. He is then pictured with his severed head perched on his legs.

ISIS tweeted the picture, with the words, "This is our ball ... it has skin on it," around the world.

Hashtagged with #WorldCup, it popped up on the news feeds of millions following the soccer extravaganza in Brazil.

Peter Neumann, director of the International Centre for Radicalisation and Political Violence at King's College in London, says the ongoing conflict is one of the most documented in history.

"It's already the most documented conflict probably in the history of mankind because of social media," Professor Neumann said.

"It produces so much data and it becomes possible to follow events in real time on the ground because a lot of these foreign fighters, both from Western countries and the Middle East, are tweeting as they fight."
Western fighters carry ISIS messages to home countries via web

ISIS is estimated to have about 9,000 foreign fighters, of which about 3,000 are from Western countries.

Many have their own Facebook and Twitter pages reporting their experiences and thoughts and retweeting the teachings of influential religious leaders.

The conflict has attracted the young unemployed and disaffected from the West, many from a Lebanese background for whom this region is a homeland.

They express a desire to make their lives, and perhaps their deaths, count for something.

The Facebook pages and tweets of Australians thought to be fighting in Syria and Iraq bear testimony to an extreme Islamic ideology.

There is also a deep sense of injustice and anger towards the United States for its foreign incursions and a hatred of Syrian president Bashar al-Assad.

One Australian – with the nom de guerre Ahmed Shaheed, meaning Ahmed the martyr – has uploaded a video of his sniper fire in Syria to Facebook.

Mr Shaheed's Facebook pages, along with those of other fighters, formed the basis of an extensive social media study by the Jerusalem-based research group Middle East Media Research Institute.

The report was named after one of Mr Shaheed's posts, in which he declared: "Fighting in Syria is fun ... thrilling."

Another Australian in Syria calls himself Abu Sufyaan. He told the ABC he is working for a "small humanitarian group".

His Facebook shows he follows the Essendon AFL team and he has posted a picture of his grade six class in regional Victoria.

Also known as Iron Clad, he has uploaded pictures of food aid to refugee camps, and a photo of grenades, mortars and other armoury, with the words: "Feel like a kid in a candy store… so excited."

He told the ABC that boys like guns and weapons.
'Five-star jihad' attracts 'wrong sort of people' for ISIS causes

Last year, the Syrian recruits were posting pictures of themselves in sumptuous houses captured by fighters, some with fine rooms and swimming pools. The jihad had its material upsides.

"In the beginning there was this phrase that was coined by a lot of the jihadists on the ground, which was the so-called five-star jihad", Professor Neumann said.

"They were telling their friends at home, 'Come over we're having a great time.' To some extent that has attracted the wrong sort of people.

"Now we can see on the social media profiles that they're trying to dial that back a little bit and they're saying, 'Actually you should really only come here if you're serious about fighting and you're prepared to die.'"

ISIS aims to rub out the map of Syria and Iraq and install a caliphate – an Islamic state run under strict Sharia law.

This has lead to splits with other jihadi groups like the Al Qaeda offshoot Jabhat al Nusra (JN), whose primary aim in Syria is joining with moderates to oust Mr Assad.

The violence of ISIS towards other Muslims has forced the rift to spill out publicly.

On social media, one of JN's leaders, the Syrian-based cleric Sheik Abu Sulayman, condemned ISIS for straying from the correct path of Islamic teaching.

In a video released in March, Mr Sulayman spoke in English of the dispute.

Twitter lit up, and in the months since, a torrent of fierce and often insulting posts have been traded in an increasingly bitter debate.

Mr Sulayman comes from Western Sydney and is now a "person of interest" to Australian authorities for belonging to a terrorist organisation.
Researchers trace online profiles of Australian ISIS supporters

The Kings College study of social media use of foreign fighters in Syria also revealed the prominence and influence of Australian ISIS supporter Sheik Musa Cerantonio.

Researchers examined 86 Facebook accounts, which yielded data connecting 2,235 unique pages. Thirty-five Twitter accounts produced a network of 18,223 unique users.

The report, #Greenbirds: Measuring Importance and Influence in Syrian Foreign Fighter Networks, revealed several new spiritual authorities whose eminence has grown thorough social media.

Melbourne-born former Catholic Robert Cerantonio is now recognised along with the US cleric Sheik Ahmad Gibril as one of the world's top advocates of holy war.

"They are playing the role of cheerleaders," the report concludes.

"In the Syrian conflict [they] play an important role in radicalising some individuals."

Professor Neumann expanded says Mr Cerantonio's influence is important to note.

"I think he's quite important when people are starting to think about going to Syria in their phase of radicalisation, because he's someone who provides the legitimacy and the justifications that they are looking for," Professor Neumann said.

Mr Cerantonio's Facebook page was closed following a call to his 12,000 followers to "assassinate" US politicians.

He has preached that the 9/11 attacks on the US Pentagon were absolutely justified. He supports ISIS and its ambitions for a caliphate in the Syrian-Iraq lands.

Recently, his last in a succession of Twitter accounts was closed after only a few days.

Yet through YouTube and repostings by followers, his messages are undimmed.

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop has issued another warning against Australians leaving to join the banned terrorist groups and there are heightened fears of the security threat posed by fighters returning home.

Battle-hardened and often traumatised, studies of other conflicts have found about one in nine fighters present a danger after returning to their home countries.

These fears were reinforced this week when Sydney-based Muslim activist Zaky Mallah spoke to a member of the comparatively moderate Islamist group, the Syrian Islamic Front, via Facebook.

Fighter Nezar Knawi said: "We asked many of these foreigners in Syria, 'Why don't you go back to your countries?' They would answer, 'When we liberate Damascus we will return to our countries and kill the infidels and blow up bombs in our countries.' Many of them, including Australians too have said such things."

Security agencies are trying to stem the flow of Australians responding to a call to jihad, but in this war the call is not emanating from the Mosques so much as from Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
 Source: https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/24287315/the-twitter-jihad-isis-insurgents-in-iraq-syria-using-social-media-to-recruit-fighters-promote-violence/

More examples of ow dangerous Islam is and why i don't want it here and why i fail to understand the religions popularity in non Islamic nations(America)?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 09:46:33 PM by KrazySumwhat »

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
Re: The Twitter jihad
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 05:53:35 AM »
these jihadists are the scum of the earth.

IMO they're a bunch of wannabe gangsters, literally. i saw videos of them and what they do and  thats basically it. Just like a bunch of 20 something year olds punking and gang banging on high school and middle school kids.

these guys shoot the shit out of their own countrymen that drive US cars who are unarmed, with family and children, spouses. and they feel and act tough when they do it and after.

bring these fuck faces to america and let them get their ass beat. these guys need to get fucked up literally, fuck human rights for these guys. Governments need to torture these fucks so others won't be so eager to do some cowardly shit.

i saw one video that one of these groups uploaded and i was just appalled, just a bunch of cowardly uneducated losers that are wannabe gangsters. you know damn well these fuckers would start crying 4-5 punches in.

and a lot of these dudes were just young dudes, not hardcore war veterans. these pieces of shits dont know the value of life.

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:29:24 AM »
Scum they certainly are, twisted evil, they most certainly are, but they believe in a cause, that is the concerning part, gangsters are just out to take over, these people actually want to take over to then become entirely subservient to "Allah".

Not only are these people pure satanic scum, but it doesn't take a genius to realise that they have been funded and trained by the west.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »
Scum they certainly are, twisted evil, they most certainly are, but they believe in a cause, that is the concerning part, gangsters are just out to take over, these people actually want to take over to then become entirely subservient to "Allah".

Not only are these people pure satanic scum, but it doesn't take a genius to realise that they have been funded and trained by the west.

the guys i watched weren't some group trained by CIA cells, just a bunch of scum trying to imitate what they see, like a bunch of wanna be gangsters like K-Macc's canadian crip gang. they just dont know any better.

they need to be skinned alive and boiled. or death by impalement like how vladimir did it.

it was just appalling, they're just a bunch of wanksters, they dont know the value of life at all. and if these fuckers were getting shot or even just physically beat down these fuckers would cry.

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 11:23:26 PM »
 I was actually talking to s guy at work whome is from Afghanistan and has also lived in iran. Was very interesting. We talked a bit about the Sunis and the shites and Islam and American and this ISIS group.
 Apparently these guys rising up was prophesied?
 Sounds like they want to unit the middle east like Persia days or something but under their own strict version of Islam? eh..
 On a side note it is concerning that citizens of places like Australia and the Uk and iam sure America are going over to places like Syria and getting training in military and recruitment and that that sort of people are living amongst us.
 Eh i guess the two threads i started could have just been rolled into one.
 EDIT: oh and this guy said that Muslims are not supposed to smoke Marijuana i told you fuckers! lol :P (i asked him cos u Muslim guys here all act so Muslim but smoke). But he did say that some Muslims believe that you cannot others dont so yeah.....he used to smoke opium though so ahh double standard much lols?(off topic i know).

« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:26:01 PM by KrazySumwhat »

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 11:48:17 PM »
I was actually talking to s guy at work whome is from Afghanistan and has also lived in iran. Was very interesting. We talked a bit about the Sunis and the shites and Islam and American and this ISIS group.
 Apparently these guys rising up was prophesied?
 Sounds like they want to unit the middle east like Persia days or something but under their own strict version of Islam? eh..
 On a side note it is concerning that citizens of places like Australia and the Uk and iam sure America are going over to places like Syria and getting training in military and recruitment and that that sort of people are living amongst us.
 Eh i guess the two threads i started could have just been rolled into one.
 EDIT: oh and this guy said that Muslims are not supposed to smoke Marijuana i told you fuckers! lol :P (i asked him cos u Muslim guys here all act so Muslim but smoke). But he did say that some Muslims believe that you cannot others dont so yeah.....he used to smoke opium though so ahh double standard much lols?(off topic i know).

religion to me is just backwards as hell, theres a reason why governments done use it anymore. they dont need it to control the mass after television came out.

prophesied? lol, people been killing and murder throughout time, nothing is prophesied. Just fools that convince other fools that it was predicted.

people getting military training in those areas are borderline insane or from these countries originally, aint no citizen born in 1st world country is going to 3rd world countries for military training or by choice. like those dumbfuck armenians claiming sureneos, they had to leave because they got deported/if they didnt they'd be in jail.

and for the muslim thing, who cares its all arbitrary, mormans have multiple wives,what if those muslims smoking weed is a different denomination.

the world doesnt run on religion, and never has. religion was just a propaganda too to fool the lower class into going to war and doing the bidding for the rich and powerful.

lol prophesied, i really hope you dont believe win that crap

KrazySumwhat

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 01:42:21 AM »
 Well all that it takes for a prophecy to become true is for a bunch of muther fuckers to make it happen. So that dont mean shit lols ppl with power and their brainwashed followers are acting it out, dont mean its a real prophecy.
 Just makes me laugh that when you ask questions about Islam that people get so defensive and act like your just a dumb sheep being blinded by the media yet they are exactly the same in dieing what is in front of them and are just blind followers themselves.

The JASON MRSA

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
I like to go to the middle east juss to keel sum of deez puzzyz